How "Real" Do You Want Your Virtual Reality To Be?

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

irihapeti wrote:

AlecDeBoeuil wrote:

So the whole of the technological effort of the internet age is being directed to stop kids from saying "are we there yet?"

yes

Don't tell Ebbe. He'll realise just how much of his life he wasted at Microsoft.

And all those other places he has failed at.

Alec - the Mile High Club version

Very true, that it depends on the types of games available.  It's just hard for me to picture how this all may turn out - it seems a big jump for me at this time, probably because it's not a technology area I actively follow.  It will be interesting to see how all this actually evolves and is implemented.

is ok

we dont really yet what will be

i am just thinking about the what if this or that when these things do end up in cars and on flights

am pretty sure they will, and am also pretty sure will be whole heaps of games and educational like experiences we will be able to buy (or not) as we like, to help us pass the time

+

the plane ones be pretty popular as well I think, for bus and train as well. Like able to log in while on a long journey

is where a helmet is actual quite good. bc helmet then nobody else can see what  you see. Or hear what you hear either. Or hear what you say even if full enclosed helmet. So that be ok I think, in that situation

just have to not wiggle round to much is all (:

other people on the plane/train/bus probably log in as well maybe. So can play together without disrupt the other passengers

(Future Press Release)

Dateline: Dallas, Texas USA

"An airliner fell out of the sky today, crashing into the northern part of Dallas and destroying three BMW's and a Lexus. Initial reports are that a fight broke out among the passengers on the airplane. Apparently the conflict expanded to the cockpit where the pilot and co-pilot were overcome. The last radio transmission received demanded "400 Gold for the lives of your minions!"

Authorities were shocked to find 23 swords, 17 battle axes and an assortment of shields, knives and other small weapons mixed with the wreckage. While they are struggling to explain how so much weaponry escaped security screening, not a one of them has attempted an explanation for the Ballista and Siege Engine also found.

Initial reports of Battle Elephants have been discounted as just the normal shock and confusion that follows such a dramatic incident."

To me the key phrase here is suspension of disbelief.

I definitely don't want virtual reality to replace my real reality but I want it to feel real for the time I'm logged on to it - just like a good story in a book or a movie is real as you watch/read it.

To be honest, I've come to think the VR community has become far to fixated on technology. There's a lot of talk about the latest, fanciest, sexiest tools but very little about how to use them. I've already posted a longish rant about that in another thread so I won't go into detail here, but think about this: A good author is able to create a living, vibrant word inside our heads just with by typing some letters onto some paper. With all our digital 3D technology, are we really doing much better than that?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.