Is it legal to upload public domain content? What about content designed from public domain content?

Vogle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

if it's really public domain it's free to use, but public domain in your country can still be under license elsewhere.

Some countries have copyrights for 50 years... others for 70, or as long family wants to keep it active.

When it's about most webcontent i think you'r pretty safe to use it. If the page you take it off states it's free to use, you can. If it's not mentioned you could be try to be sure to be at the safe side to ask if it's free.

• Like 2

You can upload and use anything Public Domain you care too.  However you do not have any exclusive rights to it.  If you build a house using public domain plans, textures or models,  anyone can also do it and there is nothing you can do about it.  You also can't claim it is your work, just like a carpenter can't claim that they designed a house, unless they really did.

If you want to sell content , make it original.  If it is only for personal use, go for it.

• Like 2

I'm still not sure if it's legal even if it's definitely in the public domain. I found a gold mine for people looking for designs to copy to speed up build time. I'm pretty sure it's public domain. it would be cool cause it's kind of classic/retro. it could catch on, also the textures could be changed to make them more modern. I'm only asking about copying public domain house plans though, so the exact floor plan and look of the public domain design is used. I'm also wonder about uploading public domain textures.
Example(goldmine?):
https://archive.org/details/BrownBlodgettBook100HomesJ0001
or using the search: https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22house%20plans%22

Not all the search results are public domain according to the website.

Thanks for reading.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.