Has anyone recently used a prepaid card to buy Lindens? If so, which kind?

Cynthia Foxclaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Has anyone recently used a prepaid card to buy Lindens? If so, which kind?

I have used VanillaOne prepaid Visa cards succesfully for the past 6 months but now suddenly they don't work.  I've followed previous posted advice and tried WalMart Visa cards and they didn't work either.  To use PayPal or Skrill accounts, Linden Labs apparently requires you to link a credit card AND and a bank account, which I do not want to do.  I have read a ton of discussions about why LL doesn't allow a prepaid card to buy Lindens but none of their policy makes a lick of sense since I have used prepaid cards all across the internet to buy all sorts of things with zero problems.  LL really needs to consider that there are many residents who either don't have - or don't want to use - a credit card or bank account for SL, and that prepaid cards are a legitimate, convenient, and discrete way to do business. 

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

All of that may make sense to you, but the bottom line is that Linden Lab does not accept most prepaid cards. Lindens never come to this Answers site, so you're only sharing your rant with other SL residents, who can't do anything more than tell you what we know about the policy.  We couldn't change it if we wanted to.  Sorry.

• Like 1

the most important parts of your whole mesage is "which I do not want to do"

there is nothing we can do for you in that case. It's your free choice to apply to the rules this company wants to be followed, or not, but your choice means accepting limitations. Be consequent and accept that. Don't complain.

• Like 1

One part of your information is incorrect.  If you use PayPal or Skrill, you don't have to link BOTH a credit card and a bank account to them.  One or the other is sufficient.  One caveat if you use the bank account option:  you must be sure to keep enough money in the PayPal or Skrill account to pay charges from LL.  They will not wait several days for money to wend its way from your bank account, to PayPal, to them.  They demand immediate payment.

• Like 1

Wow, reading the above “answers” makes me wonder how these people can consider themselves helpful at all. Not a single one actually answered the original poster’s question, which was what kinds of prepaid cards people have used that worked.   One of the answers from a Senior Helper essentially said “We can’t change LL’s policy” and another “Advisor” actually told the original poster that she shouldn’t complain!  Really? Don’t complain? That’s your advice? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

If you can’t answer THE QUESTION … don’t post, and keep your snarky opinion (like, “don’t complain”) to yourself. You should NEVER advise someone not to complain, unless they live in Russia, Iran, or Saudi Arabia where you get beaten, imprisoned or killed for complaining.

Now, for an actual ANSWER … I have used VanillaOne cads recently Cynthia, and they worked fine, so maybe it is something with your browser or settings in your account. Did you define the card usage in your account? Also, try using a different browser like Mozilla Firefox, or try buying Lindens in-world instead of the website. Sometimes those tricks will work. Good luck!

• Like 1

Please pay attention. The policy statement by Linden Lab is quite clear. It says specifically, "A common cause of payment method failure is the use of unsupported card types. At this time, the majority of prepaid cards are not compatible with our system, even if they bear the VISA/AMEX/Mastercard logo. This includes cards purchased at retail stores, rechargeable credit cards, and bank-issued check cards." In general, VanillaOne cards do not work for most people. They are among the "majority" that are not compatible with LL's system. Because we know that, we cannot recommend VanillaOne or any other specific card. The best we can tell any resident is that MOST prepaid cards do not work, and they would be best advised to use an approved credit card, Paypal, or Skrill account that does work.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.