Default avatar shape in Sansar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You're kinda missing the point about Project Stupid...

Plan currently seems to go like this...

Famous experimental cyber-pop virtual artist Yangtang Whoflungwhat, pays LL a pile-o-cash to allow him to create Yangtang world, an exciting experimental cyberpop virtual art exibit, in Project Stupid.

You pay LL a pile-o-cash to be allowed to log in and visit Yangtang World, where, you will wear an avatar specially designed by Yangtang Whoflungwhat himself, while you gasp in awe at the collossal waste of tech resources used to bring you this 10 min onece in a lifetime experience.

Then you TP to Hamsters-in-space, and wear a giant space hamster avi, in bento-plus mesh, while scampering through the plastic hamster tunnels in outersdpace  pursued by a scripted prim alien...

All of which will be presented in Glorios Vomit-Cam via a $600 vr headset/control package that will need a new $1500 pc to plug it into.

Golly gee, VR and no chat boxes, just spam your deformed voice into the aether... So Immersive!

The VR requirement in Sansar will put the kibosh on the complex and un-optomized mesh we have in SL. 60fps is a hard requirement that all spaces will need to have in Sansar or VR users will be getting sick. There is no way around that. Everything will use as low mesh as possible and textures will be controlled as well. 

Klytyna wrote:

You pay LL a pile-o-cash to be allowed to log in and visit Yangtang World, where, you will wear an avatar specially designed by Yangtang Whoflungwhat himself, while you gasp in awe at the collossal waste of tech resources used to bring you this 10 min onece in a lifetime experience.

Then you TP to Hamsters-in-space, and wear a giant space hamster avi, in bento-plus mesh, while scampering through the plastic hamster tunnels in outersdpace  pursued by a scripted prim alien...

Oh, I'm sure you are right that there'll be a few of those. But I do hope and believe that's not the only thing you'll find in Sansar.

The one thing SL and Sansar have in common is that they are both based on the idea of independent content creators doing most of the job and Linden Lab taking most of the money. The difference is that SL is focused on creators of small individual items, Sansar on creators of complete scenes - or "experiences" if you like. I'm sure we'll have both good and bad creators in Sansar too.

Klytyna wrote:

You're kinda missing the point about Project Stupid...

Plan currently seems to go like this...

Famous experimental cyber-pop virtual artist Yangtang Whoflungwhat, pays LL a pile-o-cash to allow him to create Yangtang world, an exciting experimental cyberpop virtual art exibit, in Project Stupid.

You don't pay LL anything to use an experience/world in Sansar, but the experience owner might charge something to enter his experience. LL's customers are the experience owners. Experience users aren't LL's problem.

LL wants companies to buy/rent worlds. Companies are the ones with money. A company might buy an experience/world, then hire a company to build the content. Dropping $50K for the content wouldn't be much out of a company's advertising budget to get a nice VR experience to use to get in on the goggle hype. There may be some really cool things in Sansar ... but still like visiting an amusement park.

All of which will be presented in Glorios Vomit-Cam via a $600 vr headset/control package that will need a new $1500 pc to plug it into.

Nah,  a $1000 PC could do the job. :matte-motes-wink: VR goggles aren't required for Sansar, though goggles are the reason it exists.

Golly gee, VR and no chat boxes, just spam your deformed voice into the aether... So Immersive!

Bree Giffen wrote:

The VR requirement in Sansar will put the kibosh on the complex and un-optomized mesh we have in SL. 60fps is a hard requirement that all spaces will need to have in Sansar or VR users will be getting sick. There is no way around that. Everything will use as low mesh as possible and textures will be controlled as well. 

Sansar is going for 90 fps, which is what the Vive and Rift want to get a cookie-tossing-free experience.

The content the experience owner puts into his world has to go through an optimization step before it's published and the world is available for use. It'll be interesting to see what the optimizer does to bad original content. Garbage in will likely result in worse garbage out.

The avatars account owner will decide what kind of avatar they want and customize them accordingly just like in SL.  You won't have a different avatar for each experience unless you want to wear one.  Some experiences may require a type of avatar, just like furry places in SL sometime require you have a furry avatar to visit.  The experience owner may or may not provide one for you to wear.  But that will still be your choice whether to visit or not.  You won't go to an experience and automatically become a different species or type of avatar.

ChinRey wrote:

Parhelion Palou wrote:

Garbage in will likely result in worse garbage out.

Do computer students still learn about GIGO or is that archaic knowledge long forgotten and buried in the past?

I have no idea. My formal schooling in programming was a self-study course in BASIC in my last year of high school (the county had finally wired up the schools to the big computer somewhere else) where we used a teletype and saved our programs on paper tape. College was a step up -- a self-study course in FORTRAN that required us to submit our programs on punch cards then wait 20 minutes for the printed output. The school (31,000+ students on that campus) had no computer science degree; my degree is in mechanical engineering. Of course I ended up programming for the last 35 years rather than doing what I was trained for.

I'd guess GIGO is fading fast, as is making sure your software works before releasing it.

Parhelion Palou wrote:

I'd guess GIGO is fading fast, as is making sure your software works before releasing it.

Yes, those two tend to go together.

(Btw, in case some non-geeks have stumbled into this Territory of complete geekdom, GIGO means "Garbage In, Garbage Out," a reminder that no software is better than the data you feed it. In the music industry it's known as "We fix it in the mix.")

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.