Sign in to follow this  
Solaria Goldshark

Healthy RP? ....Or seek professional help?

I suspect for many, encounters in RP is a means of escape..and we escape daily from the troubles of life, with a multitude of distractions....but there is a moment when a rational person (whoever defines that), might just pause and suggest that the person your dealing with seek professional help.  One answer might be to take the teleport out and dismiss the whole affair hoping the straight jacket squad is close behind.   But do you ever remove yourself from the situation and wonder...."good gravy!  This person needs help"  ?

I suppose the real question is:   Are all who play fit to play?

...yeah I know.....the limits of the players involved.

next argument.

Since this is Second Life we're talking about, the question might as well be: Are all who live here fit to live? There can only be one answer to the question if anyone is fit to live or to play a role on the stage that is life, be it the first or the second one. Everything else leads down a very dark path.

PS: In SL, we're dealing with an entirely different situation anyway. I've met people here who scared the crêpe out of me (I had a crêpe for breakfast that day), but it's important to keep in mind that SL is just a fantasy world. The inhabitants of which are abnormal by definition, seeing that only a tiny handful of adult human specimens play with avatar dolls in virtual world simulations. My point is that none of SL is real. Where else would people let their inner demons run free if not here?

RP 24/7 - time to log off and get some help.  Otherwise it's a bit of (mostly) harmless fun, although I do run away very quickly when I read some notecards!

I agree with the above -  The whole of SL is a kind of RP,  I wander round reading Jane Eyre, and drinking beer - I haven't done that kind of thing since I was at school - it's RP, and like RL it's what you do with it that matters. 

RP does wonders as a tool for self exploration. It lets you open pandoras box, and frighten you when you find yourself enjoying what's inside. It's great as a way to liberate impulses. To act out on fantasies. Now, this virtual world has all kinds of people in it... and this means you will meet some very different people with ideas that will frighten you. Some people do indeed need professional help, but i think mostly it's just harmless fun. So far i've only met one person that really scared me.

RP gets, IMO, unhealthy if it becomes obsessive and all-consuming. That kind of obsession is not RP specific, I believe. I mean... I'm obsessed by my RL work, and love it.

People here are the same people you might encounter in RL.  I do not RP but I would think that if you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation, you can remove yourself from it.  This is one thing that is much easier to do in SL than in RL...TP away.

I'm probably more normal in SL then I am in RL ;)

I wear 1930s clothes in RL, my house is decorated in 1930s stye, I even have 1930s manners.

My computer is the only modern thing in my entire house, I have no tv, no mobile phone, no nothing.

I am a timetraveler.

So I guess I need  professional help more for that then for playing in a virtual online world!

It depends how people look about SL and why they came here in the first place! 

Personally I think RP into SL is a bad thing when a person use there SL account as a human inworld and then RP at some RP sim too, you cant live double life inside SL and live your RL when you log off! I always wondered how people handle those multiple lifes.

I did try to be a vamp and RP but then I realised Its just waste of my time, I rather spend time chatting with my SL friends about human "RL" stuff, having fun,or try to make lindens with being creative with building and scripting then to drink some virtual blood eventought it all looked cool... I think people should just RP or SL only there is no 2 way street out of it otherwise you loose your mind in some virtual world thats not worth it 

Marie Laurent wrote:

... you cant live double life inside SL and live your RL when you log off!

You can't? Why not?

Marie Laurent wrote:

I always wondered how people handle those multiple lifes

I guess it requires a certain amount of intelligence and imagination.