LL is actually Marketing SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For awhile now, I've been seeing some SL ads here and there. Yahoo was a given, as Ebbe knows people there, but I've also seen some SL marketing on Youtube. Today, when I clicked on a TotalBiscuit video, there was Drax's LL commercial playing before the video. If people don't know, TotalBiscuit is the biggest game critic on Youtube. Now, I'm sure TB had nothing to do with the commercial, but it was a big shock to see the commercial before his video, cause he has a HUGE audience. I'm sure SL is going to benefit from that bigtime.

If I were LL, I would definitely contact TotalBiscuit to give Sansar a critique, when it is ready.

That's going to be cookie tracking.  if you install ghostery you will not be targeted.  lots of companies are doing that now.  cookie based tracking to target ad's to you.   I had been looking for socks for my grandmother, a specific kind for months and kept getting hit with ad's to buy socks with.   once I installed ghostery I was not longer targeted.

See, I prefer targeted marketing 100 fold to the random ad blast of the 2000's internet. I've found online stores that I shop at and social groups that I've considered because of it. Sure, having months of ads for old lady socks might be a little embarrassing, but it's better than a male getting ads for feminine hygene products or seeing sports memorobilia ads when you don't watch or play sports.

Drew Bhalti wrote:

That's going to be cookie tracking.  if you install ghostery you will not be targeted.  lots of companies are doing that now.  cookie based tracking to target ad's to you.   I had been looking for socks for my grandmother, a specific kind for months and kept getting hit with ad's to buy socks with.   once I installed ghostery I was not longer targeted.

Well, technically, I don't really care. I have never clicked an ad in my life, and likely never will. As the other commenter pointed out, at least I'm not getting female hygeine ads. I may consider ad blocks or cookie tracking blockers, cause it is mostly the ads that slow things down, or cause problems. That said tho, I do like seeing what comes up, just to see who is marketing and who is not.

Drew Bhalti wrote:

That's going to be cookie tracking.

Ummm, you mean they use cookie tracking to target their ads towards people who already are in SL? That's not the best marketing strategy I've heard of. ;)

Anyway, SpyHunter cleans my computer of tracking cookies at least twice a day and I still see SL ads everywhere so I think it's a lot more than that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.