Mesh Avatars

Suzy Hoof

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been a SL member for 5 years and am interested in a mesh avatar. In the demos that I've tried, things like attachments, clothes and tattoo appear complicated. Before I spend a lot of Lindens on one, can someone tell me what to expect.

Thanks....Sugar

I have recently started to use a mesh body for my elf, so here is a quick overview:

- Everything that is based on systemlayers (clothes, tattoos...) will not work for your new body, if it does not come with an applier for mesh bodies. Practically this means most of your old clothes become useless.

- Mesh clothes will still work, but their useablility of your bodies hud. You can not use regular alphas to hide parts of your body and depend on how good your body has "build in" alphas. My body does a decent job with that and there are even some clothes especially fitted for some mesh bodies.

- Your curves will look smoother and you won't have weird glitches in your body when doing "extreme" positions where the textures get stretched due to a lack of structure and polygons in the standart avatar. So...if you like to go to the beach or dress sexy you will benefit a lot from this.

The top bodies that are easiest to find clothing for are Slink, Maitreya and Belleza. If you want curvier, uLukie but be aware that you'll have a problem wearing mesh clothing with that one. Stay away from the TMP body though....It's not supported well as far as appliers go.

Slink, you won't have problems with appliers. Same goes for Maietreya and Belleza. For the latter 2, you may not find appliers specifically for those, however, both are compatible with the Omega applier system with the addition of the hud from the Omega store (1-3L if you join the group and buy it in the store). 

Get the demos and look at the alpha cuts to find the one that will work with the clothing you want to wear. Also, if you have a skin you love, be sure they make the skin appliers for the body you choose. 

I was in exactly the same position you are in now a few weeks ago.  I tried some of the demos, biut that didn't help me very much.  Based on various reviews, I decided to get the Maitreya Lara body.  It takes a little fooling around to get comfortable with the HUD, but not that much.  The documntation could be more thorough.  It looks great.  I used my own shape, tweaked to make the body look as much like my usual shape as possible---I'm just a better quality version of the same person.  There are two accessories (free) that I really like. One is a script that you can put in an object you wear that will automatically set the mesh body's alpha mask to what it needs to be for a particular piece of clothing---it really makes changing clothes faster and easier.  The other is the developer kit that lets you make appliers from your own textures.  I had a couple of tattoos I had made myself that I wanted to use with the mesh body because they were just part of my SL persona; I made appliers for them.

The best fitted mesh clothes designed for the particular mesh body are fantastic, and I plan to be very particular about quality as I expand my new wardrobe, buying only good fitted mesh clothing.  I don't think much of the appearance of most applier clothes, except for some underwear.  Most of the unrigged mesh clothes I already had (that I have tried to date) don't work well enough to suit me; a few do.  If you are more patient than I am about tweaking shapes to make particular clothes fit, you may fare better, but I've decided to take this opportunity to clean out my SL closet, which I've needed to do for years.  Since Slink feet work with this body, I was able to salvage my nice shoes for my Slink feet.

I am a fan of mesh avatars. I love them, inspite of the relatively limited amount of clothing available for most of them.

The one thing I do not like about them is a bug in SL that makes it so that after I TP, there is a fair chance that my avatar will rezz for me, but not for anyone else in the room. A simple relog fixes, but still, a PIA.

Check where your body is attached. If it's on your right hand you can move it to your avatar center. You can move any rigged mesh to wherever you want to. The default attachment for objects is to your right hand. It's a good idea to move all the stuff that attaches to your right hand to a better place. For instance, pants and skirts to a hip or a upper leg, a shirt/jacket/top to a right or left pec or upper arm. The less there is on your right hand the better.

• 4 months later...

yes just dont mention that the maitrelia store ( or however you spell it) only has 1 skin in store and its my understanding after haveing bought the body and joined group that the only skin u can use is Glam Affair skins.

dont mention that to anyone shhh..

or that even though the demo in the store though it has 2 body,in store there is only the lara.,dont want that getting out before ppl buy it though do we.

i also bought the slink hourglass the latest one from SLink wow there actually got 2 in store you get a choice imagine that.

at first i found the slink hud a little confuseing not knowing what to do with mesh bodies,but SLink herself the owner of the store was a great help with it,when i was in the maitrelia store looking for help,not even other customers bothered to help because no staff were at maitrliea.

as for bellizea ive not tried it yet though i might so i will be able to comment on each.

be sure you check out the stores,and that the body shape is what your after because mesh only moves as far as your shape slider does and no bigger,i use a SLink hourglass mesh body and already had the feet and hands and mesh boobs on useing the omega system hud for clothes found that clicking top on the applier didnt ust mean clothes it means it applies to everything above your waist includeing mesh boobs if your wearing them at the same time

but lets not give people the wrong impression mesh body are super sexy,i just dont see that linden labs should be shoveing it down our throats

Most body makers, ie Maitraye, uLukie, Slink, etc, don't make skins. There are many skins makers that make appliers for the various bodies. Since most are Omega compatible, you just have to find one that you like that has Omega appliers. There are also many that make appliers for the various bodies. For instance, WoW, Pink Fuel, Deetalez, Belleza, Zoul, Izzies, Alter Ego just to mention a few. Just look for Omega and grab the applier for your body or the Omega, which is just about universal. You will hve to go to the LovenLust store to get the appropriate kit or grab it on the MP. Many stores also have vendors for the kits in the store as well. 

• 2 months later...

I'm just coming back to SL after being away for a while and I'm keen to try a mesh body.  But there's one thing I don't get.

There are a few people selling shapes for the different mesh bodies.  I know this sounds like a newbie thing, but doesn't the mesh body define it's own shape?  I've read a lot about adjusting them for clothes etc and clothes being tailored for the popular mesh bodies.  Is this just settings for the mesh body that you buy?  And if so, doesn't that mean that things won't fit again?

Please help me, I want to understand what I'm getting before I spend any money on things.

NellFury wrote:

I'm just coming back to SL after being away for a while and I'm keen to try a mesh body.  But there's one thing I don't get.

There are a few people selling shapes for the different mesh bodies.  I know this sounds like a newbie thing, but doesn't the mesh body define it's own shape?  I've read a lot about adjusting them for clothes etc and clothes being tailored for the popular mesh bodies.  Is this just settings for the mesh body that you buy?  And if so, doesn't that mean that things won't fit again?

Please help me, I want to understand what I'm getting before I spend any money on things.

The current crop of fitted mesh bodies respond to the "shape" wearable in similar ways to how the default avatar did (not identically, but they change with different slider settings.) The clothes made for that body will also follow along with the same slider settings (again, not always perfectly depending on the garment and maker.) Therefore a shape intended for a mesh body will be about as valuable as a shape made for the default avatar. However, like shapes have always been, it's nothing you couldn't make for yourself - you're only paying for the ability of the person manipulating the sliders.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.