land purchase

Violet Parnass

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am trying to buy some land for an inexpensive educational project for teachers. We need a plot of land where we can build a basic school. Used to have private island, but couldn't afford maintenance fees. Now looking at  affording 4096 of land. New to 2lf and would like something with good neighbors since teachers and people will be viewing it, and is buildable. Definitely rated G. I understand 40 avatars is a limit. Will this much land still support 40, and if so, are there any loading problems when we get up to higher avatars? Any resources to point me in the right direction would help. There seem to be so many people selling land in world, don't know how to judge it all. Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Avatar number limits are per sim not per parcel...Mainland sims are set for 40 & most private islands are left at the 40 default too, though the owner can set it anywhere up to 100. For homestead sims it is 20.

You can find a lot of 4096sqm plots by using the land search function inworld or you could checkout the Land forum http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Buy-and-Sell-Land/ct-p/BuyAndSellLand

If you have some time before you need to purchase, you may consider posting this question as a discussion in the Forum section of the Community platform.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion/bd-p/GeneralDiscussion

The Forum section offers Residents a relaxed setting to share opinions and advice on SL topics that have more than one correct answer.

I have a few suggestions. :smileyhappy: 

The 40 AVs limit on mainland is a subject of some controversy when it comes to one small parcel using a significant chunk of that limit.  In some ways, a 4096 sq.m. parcel really is only entitled to have an average of 40 * 4096/65536 = 2.5 AVs on it before it becomes an unfair use of region resources.  That said, however, many parcels sit mostly empty a lot of the time.  So, it really depends just what you need. LL don't tend to enforce the fair sharing of region resources very well, and there isn't a precise rule that says you can only have the average number of AVs supported by your parcel (some landlords will enforce such a rule, e.g. I won't allow a 20+ AV club on a 4096 on my rental land, it's just not fair on my other tenants).

Having the full 40 AVs there at any time is going to upset other people, as they will not be able to access their land (and you're unlikely to be able to get 40 AVs onto your land reliably).  If you wanted to have around 20 AVs there for maybe 1-2 hours a week, that would probably work ok, as long as someone else in the same region doesn't try to do the same thing.  There is also the lag issue caused by that many AVs — you should ask people coming to larger meetings/events to try to minimize their attachment scripts (they don't need to eliminate them completely, just try to avoid being a "script bomb" with both HUDs and body attachments).

So, it really depends on the specifics of  what you are planning to do.  If you want to have 40 AVs on your land reliably, or to have 20+ there for 8+ hours a day, you really need to look at owning/renting an entire region (either mainland or private).

Like Pauline I think is an ethical issue other than technical. Renting a 4096 parcel and expecting to drain the region resources is not fair. But I think you might try at the forums, and considering if you are going to hold events only at certain times, perhaps someone that owns a whole sim might rent the space for you during the events at a fair price. Since mainland is more chaotical (you cannot know what use of the resources your neighbours are going to use (scripts, avatars coming and going, etc) you wouldn't be able to ensure also that you can hold an event and the sim will remain stable.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.