pay tier in advance

Wol Euler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi guys. I would like to pay my tier dues in advance for ten months, for various reasons that aren't important. Is this possible? I can't see any way to do so, it seems that I have to wait for the Lab to decide to bill me.

Thanks in advance

Wol

7 answers to this question

You can put ten months' worth of land fee payments into your PayPal account so that it's there for LL to draw on, or you can move that amount of money into the USD balance in your account so that it's already there when the bill comes due.  LL always draws on your USD balance first, before billing your PayPal or credit card. 

Adding funds to your USD balance is a little tricky.  I haven't tried this myself, but I am told that you can do it by placing a buy order for L$ at a ridiculously low price.  Then, when it's clear that nobody wants to sell at that price, you cancel the order.  The USD that would have been used to complete the order, however, remain in your account.  Or so I am told. If we're lucky, another Helper will be along shortly to confirm this.  :smileywink:

• Like 3

My own Paypal account used to only be used for my tier fees and ebay purchases, so I agree with Rolig's advice about ensuring a Paypal account has money put aside into it for the number of months of tier you are wishing to pay, then it just trickles away as Linden Lab make a demand for it to Paypal.

I've never tried the USD trick, so don't know how easy that would be to do. (Scares me a bit too :matte-motes-agape:)

• Like 1

Well, the only downside at all is really an UPside. Suppose that someone is really dumb enough to sell you L$ at that ridiculously low price? Then your sale goes through and you have a whale of a lot of L$, which you can sell at a huge profit. Leave the money in your USD balance and it will be way more than you planned for. :)

The USD trick works well - I use it almost monthly to trickle USD into my account to pay tier.

Basically you offer to buy L$ at 999L per 1USD (no one would sell at this conversion rate) via the limit option.  Then click the purchase button and let the transaction go though.  Check your transaction history for the conversions and you will see that it's outstanding - cancel the offer and the USD then hits your Linden Labs account.

Of course, this doesn't actually pay the tier until LL run their monthly billing cycle so the money would be there for you to convert to L$ and spend in other ways but if you are planning on being away from SL for a while and want to keep some land that's probably the easiest way if you don't want to just have a balance in Paypal (or use your credit card/ debit card on a monthly basis).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.