Does anyone know a place to stay for free?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a hobo by choice. I have been rezzing in sandboxes and changing my clothes underneath the sea. Lately, I have been looking at places where they would let a poor wandering avatar to stay for as little as L50 per week and I came across this hotel. The owner was kind enough to provide rooms/houses which are quite spatial and will decorate it to your specification and needs... ALL FOR FREE. I did not even see a donation tip or jars anywhere. I had the chance to ask the owner what motivates him to do such a kind act for strangers? He said he wanted to provide for those who are creative but cannot afford to enjoy Second Life like most of us. He offered to decorate a room for me since I'm homeless myself but I felt it was very unfair for newbies and less fortunate residents that really cannot afford to pay for a rent, so I declined.

But his deed inspired me to look for places that offers the same kind of generosity as shown by him. I have been compiling list of places in a notecard for the latest freebies and I realized I have not added a land/house/room. Does anyone else knows a place or land where newbies or people with limited income to make a home in SL for free?

Below are some snapshots of the place.

hotel_007.jpg

hotel_002.jpg

• Like 1

up until about july/august time last year you could have freely used one of the 3 and a half sims that made up Trilegy Corporation's Free Land for the People then it's owner closed the sim for refurb and disappeared off the face of SL the sims are still closed
a friend of mine used to have a free land parcel made up of free rooms to live in and free store space all in a huge castle aside from those i haven't come across any other free places

• 1 month later...

Caledon used to offer a room with rez rights to people who are new. I don't remember the time cutoff. After a certain point you can't rez there, I think. But while new it's a great deal. Maybe someone from Caledon can tell you if they still do that.

I run a place where you can change in relative privacy for free (I did put in a tip jar after the first year, mainly because people asked for one, but it's not prominent, or required.) You can unpack and you can also join one of my two groups if you need a place to set home to.

One home group is on Moderate land, and one is on G rated land. No one has joined the G group yet and I may eventually sell the land it's on to lower tier, so shake a leg, if anyone is interested. If no one joins within a few more months it seems silly to keep it.

The Moderate rated group location is popular and so it's not going anywhere.  I don't do the thing where anyone can rez permanently because it would just be too complicated for my budget (i.e. there isn't enough space to allow everyone their own individual permanent room.) But I do take input and feedback.

If you search the Group tab for 'set home' you will find a lot of other groups. Groups you can join and have a place to set home. The Hobo camp in Calleta is one of the oldest. There are a lot of kind people in Second Life.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
40 minutes ago, bethanyharris21 said:

Hello,

I am beth. New in SL

I want a small place to crash. 

-Beth

Every public area is available.. social islands, hubs, roads, waters, sandboxes ... and so on, just mostly not the privately owned houses and parcels.

If you meet mr or mrs Orb, or their nephew Banline, you know you'r on the wrong place.

not sure why you have to reanimate a 7yr old thread for such question.

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

[..]

not sure why you have to reanimate a 7yr old thread for such question.

At least it shows the person tried searching first before posting their question.

I quite like reading posts from years ago on a subject I'm curious about, even if links etc. are outdated.

I will never buy land or rent long term, perhaps a week or two renting once in a blue moon, just for the heck of it.

I use a sandbox as my home. I change from time to time depending on how well behaved the regulars are, sometimes you feel compelled to move on due to harassment or bothersome individuals. I have a 'bump' HUD, so if someone hassles me I can send them on a journey they possibly didn't expect.

Plenty of sandboxes around, finding a nice peaceful one is another matter. I don't know of any free rentals.

• Like 6

Yes, don't be so hard on a new user who is clearly trying to do the right thing.

hobos_001.thumb.jpg.0d6493f8256c4052083d973fa4fb3cae.jpg

There's a Linden Labs homeless camp in Calleta sim. Free cardboard box and mattress. Really. It's an official Linden Labs info hub. A sign there promotes premium membership, which costs money and gets you a house. Lionheart Realty has a "land store" there, too. Plus there are lots of places that give out freebies nearby.

locost_001.thumb.jpg.cff9b3a90e0536b4ced87b911f2ed1ce.jpg

L$50 a week rents you a cheap motel room here. That's like 20 cents in US money. Furnished and unfurnished rooms available.

There are in-world jobs. Some of the role-play areas might trade you a room in exchange for being a character present to move the roleplay along.  Many city stores have vacant rooms upstairs. You can always ask. If you like selling, that's worth a try.

When you log out of SL, your avatar disappears from the world and nothing can happen to it. So you don't have to find a safe zone before you log out, as in some games. But it's nice to have a place to go home to.

Squatting on unused land is possible. But few vacant spots allow building. You can find places where you can rez objects and play with them for a while, but they won't stick around.

This virtual world is free to visit, but runs on real estate and money.

• Like 4

I know this is a bit off topic, but I never understood the need for privacy to change clothes in SL, If I am in an area where I do not want to get naked, but I want to change clothes, I just put on the new outfit before removing the old one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I know this is a bit off topic, but I never understood the need for privacy to change clothes in SL, If I am in an area where I do not want to get naked, but I want to change clothes, I just put on the new outfit before removing the old one.

THIS.

It is amazing that common-sense is called common but ISN'T. LOL

As for a place to "stay"... technically you can stay anywhere. In fact, since I'm tired of always putting a house and decorating it and never using it, I've created for myself a GTFO "depot". But what it really is, or rather what my actual intent is is to go old-school SL circa 2006: Share with the community.

You and anyone else is welcome to "stay" there. Rez zone with 60-minute auto return, all vehicles are unlocked (that I am able to) so feel free to go for a drive or flight or two, and there's lots of room in the back to lay out a cot and sleeping bag. :)

I'm still putting sitter scripts into most of the furniture and I have to figure how to unlock the building doors (set it to anyone, etc.) - but feel free to "sit" on the palettes in the back room, it already has a nice cuddle set (or solo sits) :)

SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sagittata/220/25/33

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.