Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Psistorm Ikura

Which 3dsmax versions are supported currently?

Recommended Posts

I've asked something similar before, but other than "go find out yourself" I had no help here. Hence why, since I'm in the middle of a project, I wanted to ask if someone knew which 3dsmax version is the latest supported one for mesh imports. I'm primarily talking rigged/fitted mesh, since the wiki only talks about collada 2013, which are old plugins.

Ideally I would like to use max 2016 which came out fairly recently, but if I still have to keep an old version around to export to SL, that would only slow down my workflow a lot, hence I'd love to hear what version I can upgrade to safely, since I am looking into leaving max 2011 behind for good and jumping to the latest possible while still being able to work on my projects as before.

Once again, thanks for reading this, and hoping to be enlightened~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that was me who said "go find out yourself", although in my recollection I didn't put it that bluntly.

When Windows 10 is released I will upgrade my Design Suite to 2016, so in a month or so I will be able to let you know whether 3ds Max 2016 will export the correct dae files or if it will work with an older Collada exporter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using MAx2016 and it works (rigged mesh, multiple material-IDs - still, whitespaces in a material's name cause trouble).

Not sure about this one fact: in my working setup I have changed the settings of Max's FBX-exporter to use fbx-version 2014/15 instead 2016 (I vaguely remember that the choosen fbx-version also affects dae-exports).

But bottom line, Max2016 works, just might need some tweaks to it's exporter's settings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've set up max 2016, but ran into an issue. I verified that the FBX version is set to 2014/15, but attempting to import a rigged mesh creates a "can't find skin source" error in both the latest firestorm and latest stable vanilla client.

I'll investigate further, but I'd appreciate further pointers as to what settings might be important to check. I'm using the same settings in the DAE exporter that I use in 2011, but those just concern themselves with unit setups etc

EDIT:

It would seem that setting the FBX version to 2013 fixes the issue, I'll do further testing

EDIT2:

Nevermind that, as usual it was an oversight. Some of my meshes had whitespaces in their names, and rather than tell me that, the exporter gave me a cryptic log error. So yes, max 2016 does work fine~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...