spammer's IP traceable?

koto Nizna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

Good spammers never use the same ip. They also tend to make their accounts far in advance of actually using them to spam, making tons and then letting them sit for weeks before they come back and use them to spam.

And then by the time you ban them, they already have more accounts just sitting waiting to be used.

LL can "accidentally" block people from using SL on their computers - You only have to check these boards to see how often - The block is resistant to IP changing and blocks all alts. So if they can do that by accident I don`t see why they couldn`t do it delieberately.

Having said that, spam is a fact of life on the internet, we all manage to ignore it in our emails & even laugh at some of it. Personally it wouldn`t be top of my wishlist for things I would like to see LL spend time fixing, but it would be nice if the spammers would just choose to go away lol :D

• Lindens

Some history: yes, we can trace IPs. But as pointed out, yes, the spammers have been spoofing and rotating through IPs. We went to the source and asked the company (IX Web Hosting) that hosts the spammers' site to shut it down, since they also spam/scam at a variety of other places. Sadly, IX was unhelpful and unwilling to investigate further without having us jump through a head-scratching amount of legal hoops — despite stating in their own terms of service that they don't allow such behavior, and the mass of evidence we showed. ARGH frustrating I know, right?

Our moderators are here 7 days a week. I don't know what hours of coverage, though. If you have further questions about this, you can ask at the Community Tools User Group. Transcripts are saved for future reference.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.