Reading others profiles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some people writes a lot in their profile, inserts pics and everything … and then they already on page 1 starts to call you a perv or a curious **bleep**, if you have clicked to know a bit about them.

Very strange...

Do you feel you are a perv, if you click on a strangers profile?

I don't.

If people don't want anyone else to visit their profil, why did they bother to fill in the pages there, instead of leaving them empty? Profiles are meant to be read, in my opinion... and I will keep on doing it, if I want to know more about a certain person.

Muletta wrote:

Some people writes a lot in their profile, inserts pics and everything … and then they already on page 1 starts to call you a perv or a curious **bleep**, if you have clicked to know a bit about them.

Very strange...

I don't.

If people don't want anyone else to visit their profil, why did they bother to fill in the pages there, instead of leaving them empty? Profiles are meant to be read, in my opinion... and I will keep on doing it, if I want to know more about a certain person.

Simple answer: Unjustified arrogance.

Some people wander around SL, believing they are the greatest thing ever happening to the virtual world. They feel very important, almost like a celebraty, who can't find a moment of privacy and so they feel entitled to write **bleep** like this into their profile. And of course their personality is also so deep and complex, that their profile won't even give you the tiniest glimpse on their true awsomeness...

I see it as a fair warning of who to avoid at any cost. The only type of profile I find worse are the ones who go all like: "If you mess with my familiy then I'm going to kill ya blablabla". This actually makes me want to mess and grief their silly virtual family.

Muletta wrote:

Very strange...

I don't.

I AM a profile perv. Profiles ARE there to be read.

I am a member of Profile Perverts Anonymous group.

I wish real life people had clickable profiles to read. It could save on preliminary awkwardness.

Qie Niangao wrote:

As an avowed and inveterate perv, I now feel
compelled
to click on strangers' profiles.

You could start with this one :)

https://my.secondlife.com/muletta#about

Then there is mine:

https://my.secondlife.com/rhonda.huntress#about

People often comment about dull knives but so far no one has asked about human macramé.  I find that odd.

Syo Emerald wrote:

(.....) The only type of profile I find worse are the ones who go all like: "If you mess with my familiy then I'm going to kill ya blablabla". This actually makes me want to mess and grief their silly virtual family.

Hahaha...Maybe they haven't yet learned about the "mute and derender" buttons.... :smileywink:

I rarely start a conversation with someone new in SL without first consulting their profile. This includes responding to IMs from strangers. I quickly scurry over to their profile before responding, and often say something that makes it clear I've read their profile. If I get any reaction for doing so, it's always been positive.

And my own profile fairly invites interaction from anyone who reads it when I'm out and about. That's the purpose, isn't it?

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

People often comment about dull knives but so far no one has asked about human macramé.  I find that odd.

Your profile wouldn't load - probably because we were all reading it.

I often read profiles and it can be very helpful. For instance, I was approached by a nice-seeming male avatar once, but ended the conversation when I saw that his profile included a list of "Women I have had.." Ick!

As for human macrame, don't know if this is related, but recently I ran into large groups of motionless avatars sitting on the bottom of one of the sims. I was told later that they were probably someone's multiple alts used in a game called "Tiny Empires". That got me to wondering, if the Lindens don't mind this kind of behavior, why not make all those alts useful and make a house out of them? Since it was made of alts, it wouldn't be auto-returned and you could put it almost anywhere. Just wondering is all.

I generally click on profiles with the express intention of avoiding pervs, or morons, or dullards, or anyone mentioning avoiding drama (which usually means they love indulging in it), or anyone saying if you mess with whoever you will deal with me, or those who consider they exclude themselves from the ToS with some variation of expressing their right to publish chat, or everyone who fills up their picks with THE FAMILY, or ... the list is not exhaustive, but it gives me an idea of the person.

Anyone who writes anything in their profile is an idiot to shout "perv" at anyone who looks at their profile, illogically why write anything if you want no-one to look?

I always check profiles, especially their groups. Groups will tell you what their interests are. If it's full of sex-oriented groups and you aren't interested in that, you can move on, for instance. It's a great way to find out if the person has similar interests to you. If they don't want people to see the groups, they can set it so their groups don't show. Mine are out there for all to see.

Profile perving is one of my favorite hobbies when I'm bored. I like to go to highly populated clubs, or wherever the masses seem to be congregating at the time, hang back and perv away. I agree that profiles are MEANT to be read, or why have them? 

I too like  reading profiles (before meeting someone). Sometimes,  I think ...thats a great profile, I need to write something like that!  Mine is too sparse.  

Profiles are great as they give a starting point for a conversation. When I meet my now partner, he was a bit taken back when I messaged him  because rather than gently saying hello etc...I jumped right to comment about something he had said in profile. Even that made him laugh at me and we never stopped talking since. 

Reading profiles is not being pervy at all. No way!

Trying to cam into their house when you see two green dots close together? Okay, a little bit pervy.

I once had an alt's profile filled with a long description of things I liked in RL and SL. At the very bottom I wrote "if you guess my favorite animal I'll take off all my clothes'. You would have to scroll down the profile to read it.  Every conversation began with, " Do you like rabbits?" Or some other cute animal.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.