Maya Texturing VS blender Texturing.

adamBRJ

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there everyone :) 

so i was wondering if some experienced users/pros can tell me if Texturing a Mesh in Maya will look better than texturing in blender cause i think there is a quality difference !

also is blender limited when it comes to texturing ? when it comes to secondlife ofcourse because blender has a nice node system but only a small portion of it could be used for Secondlife ! sadly !

oki thank you hope to hear from all of you!

• 3 weeks later...

Texturing tends to happen in an external program like Photoshop or Gimp, not so much inside the 3d programs themselves. Most 3d programs don't have a high enough brush resolution to make in-program painting worth your while. The more recent versions of photoshop do have the ability to paint on a 3d model, so I hear. you might think about looking into that?

It is a bit unclear what aspect of texturing you are asking about. Do you mean painting? generated textures? texture baking? lighting? or....? If you can identify in which aspect of texturing you think the differences in quality apply, it might be easier to offer an answer. What is the nature of the difference in quality you think is there? Note that as far as SL is concerned, it just gets a mesh with a UV map and an image to apply. So the appearance when rendered by Maya or Blender is irrelevant. It's the quality of the (baked?)  image thast matters, and that is limited by SL to 1024x1024. Differences in UV mapping capabilities might also be relevant.

Drongle McMahon wrote:

It's the quality of the (baked?)  image that matters, and that is limited by SL to 1024x1024.

Still you can bake in larger file formats. I don't bake lower then 2048 x 2048, unless its a very tiny object, like a nano prim.

My experience is that the quality of the texture is better, when you bake on a larger canvas. Though SL is indeed limited to 1024 x 1024, a bake on 2048 x 2048 looks better then the same bake on 1024 x 1024, at least when you upload as png file.

You can also bake on 4096 x 4096, but then you have to scale down manually before you can upload, and in the end on the 1024 x 1024 texture there is not much quality difference between a 2048 and a 4096 bake. Sometimes the 2048 bake even looks better.

Yes, that's true. Baking at a higher resolution and then scaling the image is a bit like anti-aliasing, and can reduce some imperfections. I would rather do the scaling before uploading, to see what it looks like, rather than letting the uploader do it, but that probably doesn't make much difference. The uploader is always going to introduce some distortion with the jpeg2000 compression anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.