Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ChinRey

From an abandoned parcel in Leda

Recommended Posts

That's where my avatar is standing now. Where one of my and many other's favorite places used to be.

Six days ago Yadni Monde closed his Junkyard and abandoned the land. One of the best known, most popular and longet living institutions of Second Life is gone.

Oh well, I guess life must go on and I suppose much of the content there was well past its best by date anyway but Yadni, if you read this: thank you, thank you, thank you for all the good you did to Second Life as a whole.

And if anyvbody from Linden Lab happend read this: if you ever decuide to restore one old private build for its sheer historical importance, it'll have to be the Junkyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


ChinRey wrote:

That's where my avatar is standing now. Where one of my and many other's favorite places used to be.

Six days ago Yadni Monde closed his Junkyard and abandoned the land. One of the best known, most popular and longet living institutions of Second Life is gone.

Oh well, I guess life must go on and I suppose much of the content there was well past its best by date anyway but Yadni, if you read this: thank you, thank you, thank you for all the good you did to Second Life as a whole.

And if anyvbody from Linden Lab happend read this: if you ever decuide to restore one old private build for its sheer historical importance, it'll have to be the Junkyard.

Maybe it helps to reconsidert the true importance of destinations in SL.

Its absolutly questionable if that junkyard was the best known, most popular place with the longest history. I doubt it. I have never heard anything about this place. I didn't knew it existed and never noticed any events from it or saw it in the destination guide...

To you it might have been important, but this is no objective view shared by everyone. And others would probably name different locations, that they would consider worth a re-apperance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Syo Emerald wrote:

Maybe it helps to reconsidert the true importance of destinations in SL.


Yes, Yadni's may have been more important to content creators than to the regular SL'ers. But even so, have you ever noticed all the freebie places in SL? For good or bad, Yadni's Junkyard was the first one and the one that inspired all the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is sad indeed.

When I started Yadni's was top of the list for 'freebies' to outfit yourself.

He made a great effort to ensure what he had there was indeed free to give away (not stolen content).

For those who care about or were interested in the history of SL this is a loss.

But you are right, much of what was there had become outdated.

At this point in time I probably no longer use anything that I got there when I started.  Maybe a couple of scripts or a texture or two.

Sorry to see it go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yadni's was an SL institution, fun place to pick up cartons of crazy stuff... can't count the amount of people I took there. Found some really fun stuff among all the goodies, it's sad to see it go!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard of this closing a week ago and - yes had a sad. Even went to the old place to see... 'Freebie Culture' ah well its changed since (insert mist of times here) but yes. Still have some things I took apart (and swore at) to see how they worked. Still don't know how most do to be honest - and I think thats good. Now I can sling a dae. BTW the Blue One (!) is still active all over vws (merci le Monde) the last I checked.

And when I win the premium bonds I will - well maybe see if they have it all stored still:)

Things pass. Some remember. And thats good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EVen the old freebie places are giving up on providing content that will be useless when if the doomed SL V2 arrives.

Joe

/what does that say about the viability of newer content providers trying to convince V1 users to buy pre-obsolescent stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


sirhc DeSantis wrote:

BTW the Blue One (!) is still active all over vws (merci le Monde) the last I checked.

That's good to hear :)


JoeKingleigh wrote:

EVen the old freebie places are giving up on providing content that will be useless
when
if the doomed SL V2 arrives.

Well, Yadni's was the oldest of the old freebie places of course and msot of the content there was already well and truly obsolete. You can find most of it elsewhere now anyway. Lots of freebie places crammed full with content taken directly from Yadni's.

It still had the coolest sandbox in SL though. And there were some really good tutorials all over the place and possibly the last working (occasionally) money tree in SL. And people went there right to the end, oldtimers and newcomers alike. Hidden in one of the oldest and less fashionable parts of SL, no advertising, no traffic bots - and I've yet to see the place empty.

But most of all, it had history. I seriously don't believe Second Life today would have looked quite the way it does if it wasn't for Yadni's Junkyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


ChinRey wrote: But most of all, it had history.


History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition.

Joe

/We want to live in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


ChinRey wrote:


Syo Emerald wrote:

Maybe it helps to reconsidert the true importance of destinations in SL.


Yes, Yadni's may have been more important to content creators than to the regular SL'ers. But even so, have you ever noticed all the freebie places in SL? For good or bad, Yadni's Junkyard was the first one and the one that inspired all the others.

It never came up (or ranked high enough) when I was new and searched for freebies. I ended up getting most of my early stuff from Freebie Galaxy and similar places.

Anyway...I think the only old place that I really find worth protecting might be Grendels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever I refused to do something for my Dad so he had to do it himself he used to mutter: "Kill the old first".

Isn't that the way it should be?

Alec - it that way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your post ChinRey.

Huge nostalgia!

My first days in SL back in 2006, being taken to Yadni's by the kind helpers from Hanja -

There I understood that the possibilities were endless. My inspiration grew from there.

Still here, my world wilder, richer and much bigger. Still fascinated. Immense Thank You Yadni...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...