about avs

camisepic12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Even Ebbe has noticed that the mesh starter avatars what Linden Lab throws on every new account are total crap. In the beginning he was using one of them but last time I saw him he was using classic avatar.

They should burn all those starter mesh avatars in a bonfire.
Big sign beside the bonfire:

Linden Lab are very sorry that we ever introduced these. :matte-motes-bashful: :matte-motes-dont-cry: :smileyvery-happy:

camisepic12 wrote:

What does everyone think of their av how's do you like the quality the ability to edit and adjust it

Turning the question back onto you there. What's good and what's bad as far as you are aware? 

I was always a "wash and go" kinda gal, not even when I was a child did I really enjoy playing dolly dress-up.  When I started in Second Life in 2007, once I found a ready-made shape I liked, I just adjusted skin and hair and the odd bit of makeup now and then. 

Classic avatars' feet have always been ugly, and my back side looked like it was carved out of a leftover piece of plywood (!), but I was happy enough with being able to change hair, skin, clothes and shoes. AOs also added a bit more personality to my avatar while it was standing in world.

The first mesh feet I bought drove me halfway around the bend. They would match to the rest of my avatar's skin until I change the lighting settings, and on a different viewer there would appear to be a gap between the top of the false foot and the rest of my avatar.

But mesh feet, mesh hands, they do look better than the classic avatar default. Perhaps.

When we got into mesh head territory and then the new mesh whole avatars that Linden Lab offer when new users sign up for Second Life, I just felt we'd got really into freak show territory. Prosthetic bits and pieces just repel me, and the people who are currently using mesh avatars all look like clones without personality, which is very sad.

For me, though, it just seems like far too much effort, and was not at all what I wanted to be doing when I signed up for Second Life.  I am mainly an explorer, and not that into my looks. As long as I'm clean and paid for, then I can just focus on the fun stuff.  (But of course, for some, the fun stuff IS playing dress up dolly and trying out all the new mesh features, and I would not diss on their choice of leisure activity.)

Coby Foden wrote:

Even Ebbe has noticed that the mesh starter avatars what Linden Lab throws on every new account are total crap. In the beginning he was using one of them but last time I saw him he was using classic avatar.

They should burn all those starter mesh avatars in a bonfire.

Big sign beside the bonfire:

Linden Lab are
very sorry
that we ever introduced these
. :matte-motes-bashful: :matte-motes-dont-cry: :smileyvery-happy:

They were first developed right when fitted mesh was introduced. At the time there was discussion with in-world clothing makers about making clothing to fit them as well. They could have been a very good thing if they'd done what the makers of the current popular mesh bodies did - tweaked the rigging to the collision bones to smooth them out and used the default head mesh which isn't perfect but it's at least as good facially as those avatars and is customizable. If they had been developed fully and a good publicly available rigging weight set had been worked out they would have revolutionized SL clothing. I suspect the major problem with them is they were rushed out and I suspect that was Ebbe Linden's fault, as he started mentioning them right after getting the job and said they were coming "soon." If everyone had worked together to get them at least as usable as the Wowmeh body (the body that really created the entire current mesh body environment) things would have been very different.

I haven't been tempted to go to a 'mesh' avatar yet.  Having got my look the way I wanted it, I don't want to have to start all over again.  The 'system' mesh avatar does have shortcomings, like feet and hands aren't brilliant and there's not enough polygons in some areas to give smooth joint articulation.  But a lot of mesh avatars, despite their smooth joints and realistic toes, don't look realistically proportioned overall.  Also they take ages to rez and to put it bluntly, I'd rather turn up at a club naked but in one piece while my clothes rez than as a collection of disjointed body parts waving around in random positions until they snap into place!

What I'd like to see is for LL to improve the system mesh avatar.  More polygons where needed, but keeping the same reference points so that existing skins and clothes still fit.  Also more variables on the sliders, like knee position - so you can vary the ratio of thigh to calf length.  Another example - resting position for arms adjustable, so that fat avatars (not me, I'm skinny!) don't need to have their arms disappearing into their hips.  Also being able to set 'stance' would be good, like whether the basic avatar stands up straight or stoops a bit like some elderly people do.  And it would be nice to be able to texture each arm or foot separately.

• 8 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.