Confessions on a Dance Floor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was looking into getting a new parcel and I did the usual teleport from sim to sim while looking at the neighboring parcels both on the ground and in the sky. What struck me was the abundance of what appeared to be dance floors or dance clubs scattered throughout the sims with lasers, spotlights, dj booths and everything. These dancing establishments were always empty but I suspect that they were more for private use than actual attempts to start up a business.  I don't have anything against dance floors of course but after seeing them on nearly every sim I visited makes me curious.

So what is going on? Is there some deep unfulfilled need for dance floors in real life and SL finally makes the dream come true? Is it just that building a dance floor is a simple way to create a social atmosphere for guests?

*coughs* There may be a small one hidden on my land, even. So I'm guilty of this very thing. It's there because of the "why not" factor, and because I was playing about with pretty rotating projected lighting one day, and voila! there was suddenly a small club.

It's a nice way to spend time while doing my SL business inworld if my presence isn't actually needed. I could be writing notecards, imming with people, working in blender, and the whole time my avvy can be bopping away to parcel music and enjoying herself while her typist does all the chores.

It's funner than standing afk in a field, and if anyone happened to stumble onto it and enjoy it, well, that would be excellent.

Its the "Be popular and get rich quick" business that budding entrepreneurs can start with minimal skills, not realizing that to be successful requires a dedicated team working 24/7 and lots of L$ to support it for a year or two until they establish a reputation and hope to break even on advertising and donations. The big get rich business is supplying the equipment they think is necessary.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.