is it okay to have more than one bot and if i can can i run them all in one computer?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

okay so i am curious if it is okay to have more than one bot and if so can i put them all on one computer i have heard people have been doing bad things with multiple bots but im just want the bots so i can create a sim where the bots interact with the users and i am wanting the bots to act like users

Welcome to Second Life Forums, foxfire.

Things you should read up on before making use of bots are Linden Lab's bot policy

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Bot_policy

and information on the bot program you intend to use.

The latter will inform you how you can log in with your bot avatars.

You perhaps should look up Second Life AI on Google search, see what has already gone before. Daden is the first organisation which springs to mind, and Zabaware, both of whom use/used interactive AI bots, but I am sure there must be others.

In an attempt to clarify a little more, all bots are really just alt avatars, but running on a bot program, and as such, if you follow Linden Lab's official Terms of Service, all residents are only allowed to have a maximum of five avatars registered to each household. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alt_account_policies

If you find a bot program that sounds like it will allow your alt avatars to do what you want them to, and the information you seek isn't contained within their literature, then you must contact the creator of the bot program.

Generally speaking, most computers are only happy running one avatar at a time unless you use a text-only client, and already I am out of my depth as this is not my field of expertise (which is actually having "bad" bots removed from Second Life! - she chortles).

you can but remember that they will take up a spot for real accounts. SIms usually hold 40 avis and homesteads upt to 20. Owners of private sims can up the number to about 100, but you're going to have massive lag with that number. Just something to keep in mind before you create that army. 

I have models that are registered as bot accounts. They just sit on the pose stands to show my clothing on various mesh bodies. But, I only have 4 out at a time. 

I've only seen LL enforce the alt policy once, and that was with a severe griefer that was targetting the sim I RP in. As long as you behave, it shouldn't be a problem, though you can only have 5 per email address.

VinDickHate wrote:

AlecDeBoeuil wrote:

You can do whatever you like, as long as some vindictive victim doesn't report you to an over-sensitive Linden.

Alec - tempting fate.

So many names, so little time.

Vin

Actually, you can do what you like even if some hypersensitive moron doesn't like it, as LL are in no position to do much about it.

Alec - reinforcing the point

If you are going to just have your bots standing around, you might want to check into a text program like Radagast or Metabolt. I have 4 instances of it running without a major problem on my little netbook.. Metabolt and Radagast both have a nice autosit feature that if you are using a pose stand, like I do, you can put the UUID of the bot in the description field. The bot will then autosit on that pose stand when it rezzes in. Radagast has one other added feature. It have a VERY basic visual interface. You can touch stuff and move around but mesh isn't going to rez. It is helpful to get your bots in the right spot though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.