Mesh wall replacements that fit an existing structure?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there,

I have recently rented out an apartment in a roleplay sim which has a limit of 75 prims. The existing walls and staircase have fairly generic textures and I am not allowed to edit the existing structure itself, only add to it,  so I am interested in customising the interior by clamping on 'replacement' walls and stairs with my own textures to give a unique feel to the apartment compared to others in the sim. I have seen a few other people do this very well using mesh, and I am interested in learning how to do this.

I have tried this once in the past and was somewhat successful but I had a very hard time making sure that the mesh fit the existing structure perfectly. I would greatly appreciate some advice on how I can make a low land impact mesh that fits perfectly over the existing prim-based structure and can be textured as I wish. If my intentions are unclear, I can provide screenshots of some existing customisations from the sim. 

Thank you in advance for the help! <3

I've had some luck taking photos that I can use as display images in Blender, to get proportions right.  That plus making very careful measurements have made it possible to get close enough that minor in-world tweaking can do the rest.  There may be a more sophisticated way to do it, but so far that's worked for me.

Not sure if it's still an option, but in the past you could download your own creations from SL (in Firestorm and Singularity?) and open them in a 3d editor.

If that's (still) the case, you could build over the existing prims with new prims and export that to have a perfect base for your mesh object(s).

It's a bit shady concerning copyright laws, so you might want to ask the original creator of the objects if you are allowed to do so.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.