Help. How to create a dancer

KamikazeLenna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, i need help.

I want to make a dancer animation with music that starts to play when i type the classical word "on" in the chat box

What should I do? Can anyone show me some tutorials pls?

i'll be waiting for any answer,  ty :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

3 answers to this question

That depends on what you mean when you say that you want to "make a dancer animation."  If you simply mean that you want to have a dance animation that you can turn on with a script, all you have to do is visit any one of the dozens of very good animation merchants in world, try out all the hundreds and hundreds of demos, and pick ones that you like.  You can then either put them into your AO or you could make a scripted HUD or a chim that does the same thing. (Personally, I'd go with a purchased AO or chim if I were you.  You might even get one free if you buy an animation package from some merchants.)  I do not suggest buying animations in Marketplace, BTW.  Buy from in-world merchants, where you can try demos before you buy.

If you really meant that you want to make an dance animation, that's a whole lot harder.  You can make simple animations with a program like QAvimator, but dance animations are several steps beyond simple animations.  You'll want to invest in rather expensive MoCap software that creates animations by encoding data from sensors that you attach to a real, live dancer.  That's quite an expensive and complicated operation.  If you're interested, though, you could post questions in the Animation forum about how to get into the business.

EDIT:  Oh, I forgot that you also asked about music.  Most people would not package music in an animation system, if only because it would get very boring to have to dance to the same tune every time you get the urge.  Besides, downloading a pile of 10-second music clips and stiching them together to make a playable tune is a tedious and frustrating experience -- also only marginally successful most of the time.  Most people either visit clubs that have a DJ or a canned audio stream to dance to.  In fact, most people in clubs use the club's own dance machine -- which has a selection of popular dance animations in it -- instead of using their own chims or AOs.  It's a much cheaper option than making your own, and you get more choices.

• Like 1

Rolig's given you a lot of good information.  I would also suggest that you consider using a Gesture to do what you want.

Gestures can incorporate sound files, animations, and chat text, and can be triggered by a hotkey or a trigger word in chat.

The limitation is that you can only reliably run ONE ten-second sound file.  You can try stringing them together in sequence, but I am doubtful that you'd get them to play smoothly and consistently.

Find out more about how to set up Gestures here: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-gestures-and-animations/ta-p/700069

• Like 1

The term "Dancer" has become common for a type of prim, that contains a Song and an animation, that you wear and is triggered by a word typed in local.   They are nice, as opposed to an animation or gesture, in that multiple people can wear them, all starting at the same time, to do a nice little performance piece.

I ended up on this page because I was trying to find a way to trigger a gesture for myself and a friend simultaneously, and considered creating a "dancer' to solve the problem.   Alternatively, I considered creating a couples animation for her Open Collar, but I'm not sure sound could be incorporated.

Pardon me for dragging up this old topic, that may be answered elsewhere.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.