Sign in to follow this  
Wandering Soulstar

llObjectDesc Question

Hi All,

In a script I am working on I use the description field to store data for persistence across resets. On start up I basically do:

string storage = llStringTrim(llGetObjectDesc(), STRING_TRIM);

if (storage != "")
{
     //Do some stuff with the data

}
else
{
    //Do default stuff
}

Which is all well and good, except ... if a prim has been taken into inventory with nothing entered into the desciprion field, when it rezes again it now has (no description) in the dewscription field, and so the check for "" fails. I can obviously check for that string as well, but here my question: Does the value (no description) that is added to the prim when taken into inventory change depending on the language of the user/viewer, or is consistent?

Thanks in advance!!!

Wanda Soulstar

Hello Wanda!

I was testing it by setting my viewer language to german and i still got the object description field text in english. So it seems to be a server side action and english only, no matter what viewer language is set.

If it's in an attachment, and your using the root prim, change it to a description of a child prim,

llGetLinkPrimitiveParams( 2, [ PRIM_DESC ]);   

If it's not in the root, it's reading the description of the prim it's in.  you could change it to read the root, llList2String(llGetLinkPrimitiveParams(LINK_ROOT, [ PRIM_DESC ]), 0); 

or use the first fix to read the prim it's in.

see caveats here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetObjectDesc

Thanks revochen! Should have thought of that myself. In any case decided that since I am storing my data with seperators and then parsing to a list, knowing exactly the number of items that shoul dbe thee, if there are not its an entry I can ignore.