no more support on windows xp?

edwinlow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem. I was hoping to read here something useful, but I saw many reviews stupid advice - replace the operating system. I know that I have to upgrade your computer to fix any problems. But I will not do it. I will use windows xp several years. And if I can not play in the Second Life on windows xp then I can not pay. so it looks like.

You are waking up an almost 2 yr old thread from the dead. Meaning the OP that had a thing with XP wrote that 2 yrs ago, that should say enough. The OP probably has switch a long time ago.

Why would anyone still run XP? Not even it's maker supports it anymore (ended somewhere 2014).

LLIAMAH wrote:

I know
that
I have
to upgrade your computer to fix any problems
But I will not do it

OK, not very wise, but sure...

LLIAMAH wrote:

I will use
windows
xp
several years. And if I can not play in the Second Life on
windows
xp then I can
not pay
so
it
looks like.

Very true... And so be it.

LLIAMAH wrote:

I see you're admiring yourself, when you say - it's a social minority is disadvantaged by its freedom. gay rights much more worried the whole world, what rights of the minority that uses windows xp

wtf have gay rights to do with a stubborn human that wants to stick on a non supported vunerable OS.

• Like 1

Hmmm, how on earth did we go from XP to gay persons rights?

Yeah, I did worry about that a lot actually! Coz my RL eldest child is gay and I want his life to be good and safe. Bet you did not see that one coming...?

Save yourself the trouble tying to see me as being someone that discriminates. I am honest tho. Do not confuse honesty with prejudice.

XP was a good OS, but technology is progress. Sure, we all know that does not go overnight, and bugs will always be there. That's how things evolve. Fail, fix, fail, fix, but when you look back things did get easier and better!

I am taking a risk here... you may get upset but.... If you run a system that was build in the XP years, you should already be happy it still runs. If you have a younger system and installed XP on it, why did you not go for Linux? It is a great OS and most software runs smooth on it. Probably you will have less compatibility problems running Linux then you have right now running XP.

That's what I said. The fate of the minority who use Windows XP nobody cares. Nobody cares what happens to them. There is only one piece of advice - stop being a minority. This is a double standard. The fate of other minorities are more concerned people in the world. Nobody gives advice to people from minority to join the majority. And to me you're just giving this advice.

I understand that the operating system is obsolete. And I see that the new operating system is being introduced by force, and the old system is blocked and no choice. It's a compulsion.

Well - let this violence will remain on the conscience of those people who makes it and supports it. Do I have any choice?

LLIAMAH wrote:

Well - let this violence will remain on the conscience of those people who makes it and supports it. Do I have any choice?

Of course you have a choice. 

Your options include (but are not wholly restricted to):-

1. Complaining to Microsoft and demanding support for Windows XP to be maintained
  2. Use a different operating system.  Windows is not the only choice.
  3. You may not like *this* option but you could also pay Microsoft to support you on Windows XP but it will cost you tens of millions of $ so is probably out of reach.  Having worked for an organisation that paid MS for such extended support, there are those who pay.
  4. Form a consortium: "Worldwide Organisation of XP Users" and proceed as option 3.

However, complaining to LL about support of a platform that they themselves are not in control of and is out of support isn't going to advance as that's pretty much standard practice for any software company and so given that they're not going to support Windows XP, option 2 is probably best, as has already been suggested by another poster.

• Like 1

LLIAMAH wrote:

That's what I said. The fate of the minority who use Windows XP nobody cares. Nobody cares what happens to them. There is only one piece of advice - stop being a minority. This is a double standard. The fate of other minorities are more concerned people in the world. Nobody gives advice to people from minority to join the majority. And to me you're just giving this advice.

I understand that the operating system is obsolete. And I see that the new operating system is being introduced by force, and the old system is blocked and no choice. It's a compulsion.

You can use XP for as long as you like. On your computer. I have a computer that has runs DR-DOS 6.0 from the mid-1990's. Nothing's stopping me from using it.

What I, and you, can't do is expect to connect to other people's computers because in order to do so we'd have to compell them to support an operating system they don't choose to support.

LLIAMAH wrote:

I have the same problem. I was hoping to read here something useful
but I
saw
many
reviews
stupid advice
-
replace the operating system. I know
that
I have
to upgrade your computer to fix any problems
But I will not do it
I will use
windows
xp
several years. And if I can not play in the Second Life on
windows
xp then I can
not pay
so
it
looks like.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers#Obsolete_Platforms

That viewer doesn't have all the current features (and over time, missing Bento could be a big deal), but it will get on the grid.

• 6 months later...

This may be an old thread, But I still use A low profile dell XP professional, which I upgraded myself with new low profile ATI graphics with HDMI and VGA and Creative labs 2.1 card which thankfully is still available to install on windows XP. The RAM is 4gig, but the lower DDR2, but I use Flight Sim X on it on an Airbus A320 mock cockpit, and with 4 usb instrument physical Instrument panels. connected to a USB2 hub..... I hardly get any problems using it, even though i have in my few Folders British Airways 2015 Downloaded A320's which Are more sophisticated, my monitor resolution is limited to about 20Inch screen, But I can use the HDMI socket to the monitor that gives better visuals. I intend to use it soon, to install the 32 bit Firestorm on it, because I have multiple characters, that I use in a special sim, and my win7 gaming machine, can not handle more than two multiple viewers at the same time. So my third character who's in a special group, apart from my smartbots, I will hopefully be able to use separately, and get all characters to walk without to much lag, using a second smaller TV screen we bought earlier in year, which supports PC inputs... I am lucky to have a very high Fibre optic Virgin connection which has never been short on bandwidth to power the 5G wi fi on my NOW TV, as well as feeding the router cable into the Ethernet plug on  back, of my win 7 64bit gaming machine. As long you simply put settings at minimum, it should work,  Im not looking for a fairy land look, just basic settings so I can move 3 characters around as a group simultaneously . NHS and Councils plus the Navy still use XP nationwide in the UK.    Microsoft doesn't think of large providers of  countries  critical services, and the cost of fitting the whole countries many thousands of OP systems, servers and updated computers to the huge NHS GPs surgerys and council offices is not financially viable to local Government funding which is very limited   (Tory Austerity you can thank for that), and really Microsoft with it billion dollar incomes since 1995, should still patch XP users with the odd security patches, especially like the latest Encrypted Bitcoin Hijack a month or two ago. Because my  computer was built primarily as a Flight management computer, it has no software like emailing or Imaging, music,Amazon or anything else, so the H/D is literally empty, which gives a good boost to performance. It rarely connects to the net, because I don't need it, so security risks for an hour online a day maybe, I dont think will be a problem, I have other small malaware software installed, that If I so wish I can upgrade & protect the XP once every two to three months.   As yet, I have to set it all up again as haven't been in use for 13 months, maybe I let you know how it goes. Some Low profile Graphic cards are more powerful than they actually are, and plenty still to choose from Ebay or Amazon uk. Just my two penny worth.

44 minutes ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

I intend to use it soon, to install the 32 bit Firestorm on it...

I'm afraid Firestorm will not install on Windows XP.

You can use the Linden Lab obsolete platforms viewer: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.7.28.300847

Though be advised that this viewer will be broken "soon".  When Linden Lab turn off the back end for the old method of  fetching of animations, wearables, shapes, gestures, landmarks you will need to be on a viewer that supports the Asset HTTP changes.
There hasn't been an exact date given yet for when this will happen but LL have stated it is likely to happen in January 2018.

17 hours ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

(Tory Austerity you can thank for that)

Since this is a retro-thread, I don't mind sidetracking it.

There is nothing wrong with "Tory Austerity". It's necessary. You can blame Tory and Labour governments continually spending way beyond the country's means, getting us over £14 TRILLION in debt, for that necessity. Remember Mr. Micawber.

Edited by Phil Deakins

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Yeah let's just confuse more users,  if they are still on XP. do you really really think they know what the OS really is or how to install it?

Yeah, the sort of person that still uses XP doesn't know what Linux is, let alone how to do anything with specific distros.

• Like 1

On 2015. 06. 30. at 3:18 PM, Iyoba Tarantal said:

I shouldn't have to update any operating system if my computer still works just fine. I am being forced to ugrade from a perfectly good (more peripherals than machine now) nine year old, Windows XP machine to something bigger and fancier.

Im just keep wondering about why some people sticking to such old hardware, because the old hardware the only reason you wont update. Buy a new computer. Also. last year ive been running on an almost nine year old computer and its did run win10 just fine without any problem. so i assume you have a rather low end end machine which is even more a trash. Sorry to say that but its never the problem with the updates, the problem is because people keep sticking with old cheap laptops and PC for decades. Unless you only use PC for one thing... FACEBOOK.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.