no more support on windows xp?

edwinlow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sorry to tell you that you need Vista, 7, 8 or higher to run SL now.  XP is no longer supported by microsoft and presents a security risk to not only SL but your computer, since MS isn't patching security any longer.

Here are the MINIMUM requirerment for using a SL viewer: https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/?lang=en-US

Amethyst is right and if your computer is too old to be updated to a newer operating system, I also doubt you would have much fun in SL even if XP was still supported, as it would hint that your hardware might not be up to the task to run Second Life smoothly.

edwinlow wrote:

my laucher wont work and keeps saying needs windows vista. cant get new computer but can inly use win xp pls help
:(

If you prefer using the Linden Lab viewer you can use the "Obsolete Platforms Viewer" on this page. Make sure you go to "Preferences" and turn off automatic updates.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

As was mentioned there is a version of the SL viewer that will still work. Not for to long to though. Will need to upgrade your OS or switch to maybe CoolVL or Singularity which I do not believe to be switching to the new build tools. I think all the other TPVs plan to switch.

edwinlow wrote:

well its a almost 9 years old computer which can still run sl on a stable 20 fps of no one is using to much script. but i will miss sl until i save enough money for few more years.

Meaningless.  Scripts are executed server side and have NO BEARING on your frame rate of your viewer, people don't run scripts.  FPS is also completely variable and will depend on objects in the region, density of polygons, textures, alphas and so on.

Given that my GTX 680 can be brought to single FPS in certain regions, there's no way that your 9 year old computer is delivering a stable 20 FPS everywhere.

It's a bit of a wild-card option, but if your computer is that old it might be worth switching it to Linux. The Mint distribution could be a good bet.

he big risk for you isn't Windows XP, it's that some parts might be too old to replace. The hard drive may be on an IDE interface and it's a mechanical system that wears out. But IDE drives are hard to find now. Even if your data is backed up, I recommend a replacement. Your graphics card, processor, and RAM can all be classed as obsolete. About the only usable component might be the case.

(I may be mistaken about the timescales for the various shifts. Your computer might have one or two of the current technologies.)

Linux won't save you from that, even though you get up-to-date software by using it.

Plan for a change.

Single data point follows:  My ten year old Toshiba notebook works better with Windows 7 than it ever did with the Windows XP that was included with it.  I don't run Second Life Viewer on this notebook.  It would melt!

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

If you prefer using the Linden Lab viewer you can use the "Obsolete Platforms Viewer" on this page. Make sure you go to "Preferences" and turn off automatic updates.

No need to turn off updates; there won't be any.  That viewer is in its own update channel and we won't be building or releasing any more in that channel.

Most systems that can run XP can at least be upgraded to Windows 7, which would get you back onto supported viewers.

• 2 weeks later...

I shouldn't have to update any operating system if my computer still works just fine. I am being forced to ugrade from a perfectly good (more peripherals than machine now) nine year old, Windows XP machine to something bigger and fancier. Let's call planned obselescence what it is and scream from the rooftops that it S---ks!

All that said, I find Linden Labs timing just impecable. On July 29, Microsoft comes out with Windows 10. I saw no reason to upgrade to Windows 7 (I have it at work and did not see much of an improvement in performance.) Windows 8 was a mistake, and not worth a new machine (My machine can't run Windows 7, so 8 was out of the question unless worthwhile), so you can guess what I'm waiting for.

Naturally, I'd like to see Linden Labs, GIMP, and other critical software providers get on the Windows 10 bandwagon and for Microsoft to get any big bugs out of Windows 10 before I buy in. I'm used to having my online life in the hands of big corporations. Still, this means a wait of six months. So yes, I will give in to planned obselescence in December 2015/January 2016. And I will miss Maggie Mae (my computer) as I have missed few inanimate objects, but all good things come to an end.

It would have been a lot better for Linden Labs to have kept supporting XP until the spring of 2016. I am just hoping I won't have to take a hiatus from Second Life due to technical issues. I can spend the fall with Exodus. (I get my eyes poked out from time to time, but not as much as you think.) I'll bow to useless technical change and corporate greed. And I'll planned obselescence one big RASPBERRY.

Iyoba Tarantal wrote:

I shouldn't
have to
update any operating system if my computer still works just fine. I am
being forced to
ugrade from a perfectly good (more peripherals than machine now) nine year old, Windows XP machine to something bigger and fancier. Let's call planned obselescence what it is and scream from the rooftops that it S---ks!

All that said, I find Linden Labs timing just impecable. On July 29, Microsoft comes out with Windows 10. I saw no reason to upgrade to Windows 7 (I have it at work and did not see much of an improvement in performance.) Windows 8 was a mistake, and not worth a new machine (My machine can't run Windows 7, so 8 was out of the question unless worthwhile), so you can guess what I'm waiting for.

Naturally, I'd like to see Linden Labs, GIMP, and other critical software providers get on the Windows 10 bandwagon and for Microsoft to get any big bugs out of Windows 10 before I buy in. I'm used to having my online life in the hands of big corporations. Still, this means a wait of six months. So yes, I will give in to planned obselescence in December 2015/January 2016. And I will miss Maggie Mae (my computer) as I have missed few inanimate objects, but all good things come to an end.

It would have been a lot better for Linden Labs to have kept supporting XP until the spring of 2016. I am just hoping I won't have to take a hiatus from Second Life due to technical issues. I can spend the fall with Exodus. (I get my eyes poked out from time to time, but not as much as you think.) I'll bow to useless technical change and corporate greed. And I'll planned obselescence one big
RASPBERRY

Okay, I'm confused here. How is Linden Lab NOT supporting XP, given that they're providing a viewer that will work on it? The latest tools necessary to build a viewer to run on Windows won't run under XP. Talk to Microsoft about this one. You should be able to use the XP-compatible viewer for quite a while. None of this has anything to do with the servers at Linden Lab, which don't run under Windows at all.

Iyoba Tarantal wrote:

I shouldn't
have to
being forced to
ugrade from a perfectly good (more peripherals than machine now) nine year old, Windows XP machine to something bigger and fancier. Let's call planned obselescence what it is and scream from the rooftops that it S---ks!

It would have been a lot better for Linden Labs to have kept supporting XP until the spring of 2016. I am just hoping I won't have to take a hiatus from Second Life due to technical issues. I can spend the fall with Exodus. (I get my eyes poked out from time to time, but not as much as you think.) I'll bow to useless technical change and corporate greed. And I'll planned obselescence one big
RASPBERRY

Nobody is forcing you to use Microsoft operating systems, there are alternatives.

J.

Iyoba Tarantal wrote:

I shouldn't
have to
being forced to

There is no planned obsolescence.  If you continued to run exactly the same software as you had 9 years ago, that the PC would perform just as it did 9 years ago.  In other words, yes your computer still works just fine and will continue to work just fine using the same old software that it worked fine with before.

As hardware changes, you can reasonably expect software to take advantage of new hardware of which a 9 year old PC isn't.

You can't complain if the requirements change over such a long time period, such is progress. 

And if I run.... Windows 10 (or Linux...very much plan B) I will have the same performance I have now. Actually, I'm running 9 year old software full of patches (some of them even after support got "cut off"  last winter) , a variety of updated peripherals.  And despite all kinds of supposedly wizz bang features, I haven't seen anything that new and novel in the way of performance in about ten to twelve years. Siri and Cortana are as close as its come. Maybe really workable touch screens would be another new and interesting feature.

Face it all these operating systems do the same thing: They run browsers and games. They run word pcrocessors and spread sheets and database managing software. They run graphics software.

I would like to be able to use a browser that sees rigged mesh. Remember, I get my eyes poked out. Singularity crashed all over the place. I may try Cool LV. I just hope the last gate (the one that says you can't run these older browsers) doesn't come crashing down for six to nine months.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.