Mesh avatars and object linking issues

Rune Greenwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is probably gonna sound stupid to those of you that figured this out ages ago but... how in teh world do I actually link anything to mesh body parts ... it doesn't seem to work like it used to when linking to prim parts... When I try the object doesn't stay where I linked it, when I try to move/rotate it into place again it breaks like big time ((parts go everywhere)) 

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I feel like an idiot right now heh .. thanks in advance for taking the time to read this 

2 answers to this question

Classic prims, sculpties and unrigged meshes will move along with the attachment point they are worn on, and will follow edits to change their position and rotation, even if a rigged mesh object is linked to them.

Rigged meshes will move along with the avatar skeleton and don't care where you try to attach, move or rotate them, even if unrigged items are linked to them.

Mix the two, and each type of object in the link set will carry on with its own kind of behavior.

Cerise Sorbet is right. I'll say it a different way...

Rigged mesh items can attach to any attachment point and still appear in the right place. I can attach a rigged mesh skirt to my head and it will still appear around my hips. It locates it self by realtion ships to bones not attachment points.

The rigged dress' will have vertices that move with various bones. Movement of the 'attachment point' has no affect on the rigged mesh.

Prim attachments will move with the 'attachment point.' The attachment point follows the bones. Prims move all their vertices in unison.

So, prims and rigged mesh will always behave differently when the avatar moves. However, prim attachments have not changed how they beahve. It is the same pre and post rigged mesh release.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.