Explanation needed please re Land Impact and Prims

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

Please would someone explain to me or send me a link about what the difference is between Land Impact and Prims? Many buildings on Marketplace are now stating the Land Impact and often the Prims are nearly double the LI. As parcels of land on private estates have a set amount of prims I can't see why we need to know Land Impact. I am wondering if Land Impact is mainland related.... or is it something to do with Mesh?

Thanks for any help and explanation

Venetia

(Hope I have asked in the right place)

With the introduction of mesh, prim count is no longer used.  Instead SL uses Land Impact LI to measure what a property will support. It applies to all land, private estate or mainland.  All land supports the same as it used to, ie: a 4096sqm lot that used to say it supported 937 prims now supports a Land Impact of 937.  If you use efficient mesh items on the parcel, you can actually get a lot more than 937 prims on it

For standard prims and sculpts, the LI is equal to the prim count (unless you change their physics), while mesh can have a lot of prims and a low LI because each mesh prim is less than 1 prim when linked.  A single mesh prim that is not linked however always counts as 1 LI minimum.  The opposite can also happen, low prims but high LI, because the creator used too many triangles in their creation.

You may find this article helpful in understanding how mesh physics effects LI: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Calculating-land-impact/ta-p/974163

Things to watch out for:

• If a sculpted prim's physics are changed to anything but prim or it is linked to prims using mesh physics, it will count as 2 LI instead of 1.
  • Simple legacy prims such as boxes, can have their physics changed to convex hull.  They still count as one prim, but if linked together or linked to mesh, they only count as 0.5 prims.
  • Never change a legacy prim with curves in it, such as a sphere, or a lot of surface area due to the use of things such as twist, path cut etc. to prim physics or link it to mesh because the LI will soar dramatically.
  • Be careful unlinking prims that use mesh physics as the LI will revert to each prims LI (a minimum of 1) and the total LI can soar too.

• 1 year later...

I am using latest FS release.

I have rented apartments with max prim counts and a house with a prim count where I have requested increases in prims several times.

At one of the apartments I kept two puppies, animated, that were each 6 LI, which I assumed equated to 6 prims each and my (15 max) prim count showed as having 3 remaining. No one ever complained that I had exceeded the max.

However, now I am renting a skybox from a friend with a max prims of 1000. I have been building it up and, mindful of the max, I have been doing area searches and totalling the prims (why you have to do it manually as they don't give you a total is beyond me). Four times out of five there is nothing in the LI column, just "...".

I first noticed that a shack, added by a friend, when edited, showed as 11 LI and yet in the area search showed as 2 prims with  ... in the LI column.

I then noticed that the two puppies that I had moved from the apartment showed as 6 LI and 12 prims each in area search. Someone on FS support says that they are, consequently, only 6 prims each. Which explains why I never exceeded the prim count at the apartment but it makes a mockery of trying to determine the prim count at my skybox, in order to satisfy the max prims allowed there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.