Is it worth being a DJ or should I just hang out and enjoy the music?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just wondering on what I should do. Honestly for me, it's a pain getting any sort of stream up, I mean, I have this stream that I started, but I dunno. The thing that annoys me is just all the people spamming gestures the WHOLE time the DJ is donig their thing. Yeah I get that you have to interact with people and everything, but for god sakes, the gestures spam the whole place, making it hard for anyone to have any sort of conversation. It's just one thing that irks me about the whole DJ thing. Hosts too can be annoying. I dunno, I've given it some thought, and I'm still undecided if I want to make the plunge or not. I know DJs don't have to talk also, just play music, which would be ideal for me as I'm not a big talker if I were to actually commit to it. I dunno. I'm on a lot and hang out at quite a few SL clubs..some of the things I see just turn me off to being a DJ here. If a DJ past/present could relate, then feel free to reply, I'm also open to any opportunities should someone offer :)

I, too, hate clubs where the norm is to fill the chat with gestures. However, in your case I don’t see why this should particularly bother you: there are DJs that make interacting with the audience a good part of their show, just as there are those who prefer to “let the music speak”; if you’re the latter kind, then you need not concern yourself with whether the audience -and the host- engage in profound, intelligent conversation, or just in a gesture throwing contest. It’s their problem, not yours, and much of the interaction that you will be expected to carry out will be song requests, which are made in IM anyway.

If it’s a principle thing, then don’t DJ, at least until you find a club where it’s customary to keep gestures to a reasonable level; but if it’s just a practical consideration then you needn’t worry about something you’re not going to participate in anyway.

Yes, it is worth it.  You can make a lot of lindens  doing  it.   I have never had to use real life money to have fun in sl. 

And i think your are under a misception. A  good  dj  not only talks but loves to interact and enterain people. 

Now you will get hired  as some places  if you dont talk.   But your tips will not be a good  and you fan base will not be a good.

And uaully  you are so busy behind the scenes  that you wont notice the gestures

Good luck 

T3chHyster1a wrote:

Just wondering on what I should do. Honestly for me, it's a pain getting any sort of stream up, I mean, I have this stream that I started, but I dunno. The thing that annoys me is just all the people spamming gestures the WHOLE time the DJ is donig their thing. Yeah I get that you have to interact with people and everything, but for god sakes, the gestures spam the whole place, making it hard for anyone to have any sort of conversation. It's just one thing that irks me about the whole DJ thing. Hosts too can be annoying. I dunno, I've given it some thought, and I'm still undecided if I want to make the plunge or not. I know DJs don't have to talk also, just play music, which would be ideal for me as I'm not a big talker if I were to actually commit to it. I dunno. I'm on a lot and hang out at quite a few SL clubs..some of the things I see just turn me off to being a DJ here. If a DJ past/present could relate, then feel free to reply, I'm also open to any opportunities should someone offer
:)

Instead of focusing on places that are full of gesture spamming, go out and find places that don't have that.   Then familiarized yourself with the staff and clientele.   See if they need new or substitute DJ's (people that fill in when needed).  This will give you a chance to check it out, and see if the place is where you want to be. 

Not all places uses "hosts", and not all DJ's use them either.  I've never had a host, and some DJ's always have one.  You can handle it how you like.   A lot of places want a DJ to talk on the stream, so if you're not wanting to do this, it will limit your options.

Also, I can't help but notice, that you don't sound very enthusiastic about DJing.  If it's not something you *enjoy, then don't bother.  A DJ and the listeners have a symbiotic relationship, and the interaction creates the atmosphere. 

I stopped counting at the 3rd "I dunno"  I would say that is your answer, your lack of confidence or excitement is showing.

And as a side note...that gesture and chat spamming is immature, annoying and pointless. IN ANY venue.  Give me quiet dancers or just the crowd applauding the songs in a reasonable way, any day.

Thx for the constructive replies! Yeah I think that for now I'm still gonna be just part of the crowd. I may do it at some point, but honestly I just enjoy hanging at clubs for the most part. Since I'm fairly new, what club recommendations do you guys have for me? Clubbing is like 90% of my SL time, I've been to REZ, Ambrosia dance club, dance island, The Venue, Coconutz beach club, and a few others i cant recall off the top of my head. I love listening to djs and the different styles that they have. I love making requests too. I request here and there, not always. Also, tips on befriending people in these places? I befriend djs pretty easily, but whats the best approach to befriending someone who's just listening?

Try talking to them... After a few minutes of conversation you should be able to gauge whether or not they have similar interests to your own.

As to the DJ thing, I have to agree. You sound very meh about it. As a DJ myself I personally hate gesture spammers, as do most people at the clubs i have worked at. Hard to hear the music with all the gesturbating going on, usually the owner will tel them to stop or i will tell people how to make the gesture sounds go away.

Well, I suppose everyone has their own preferences when it comes to gestures. Can't really tell em no, ya just kinda gotta look past it I guess. That's what I've been doing anyway. Haha, I think the most annoying one is the long hooooo! gesture. Just sayin, whoever created that one is an ass lol.

If you've been to Rez and Ambrosia, you know that management frowns upon and will eject anyone who starts gesturebating.  DJ's for AEG must interact with patrons on mic and some are better at doing so than others. I worked for Ambrosia for seven years and it's evolved (e.g., gestures used to be accepted).

You sound ambivalent about DJ'ing so I would recommend not doing it now.  Find a club or clubs you enjoy.  Observe and talk to the DJ (preferably after they finish their set).  Check the club website if there is one to see if they are staffed 24/7 or something less than that.  Only play music you enjoy.  I heard a DJ spinning tracks they hated and they shared their feelings with patrons.  People don't go to clubs to hear the DJ complain.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do.

Nah, take the plunge. It's fun. :matte-motes-grin:

Only recommendations are to find a club that you really like and would like to DJ at. Many of the 'opportunities' in the Inworld Employment forum are for new clubs, which can turn out to be a headache if the owner's a jerk and/or has all the charisma of a brick. The best 'way in' is to chat to existing DJs, club managers, etc that you get on with. Most folk get hired by word of mouth/recommendation, or because they come across as convincingly knowledgeable about the musical genre they're into.

A bad host can be a pain in the neck, but a good one will be inviting people to join the club/group and sending messages to promote your set, to free up your time, and are therefore worth making an effort to build a relationship with (unless they're totally awful). Don't think voice is necessary and don't understand why some clubs (mostly C&W places, weirdly) insist on it - never stopped me getting gigs by micing off, and I personally don't want to hear someone talking between tunes . As long as you can type-chat, this shouldn't be an issue.

Some interaction with the DJ is required, either by type-chat or voice other wise you may just as well have the music streaming. And it you want good tips then you need to 'butter up' your punters  provide something entertaining. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.