A question on Textures for Particles..How can textures be "tintable"?

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3233 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm a scripter for years now and finally scripting for particles. I noticed some "textures for Particles" in the MP specifically say they are "tintable".  I didn't see how this is possible until I realized that there are parameters in the llParticleSystem() function for tinting..this is what was meant, right? I don't see any other way to "tint" a texture except as part of the llParticleSystem() call. *EDIT* I failed to mention that the seller said "These are PNG images with transparent backgrounds".  Seller is Vivified, store is Vivified Designs.

3 answers to this question

Hi Love,

Unless they slipped it in when I wasn't looking, llParticleSystem() doesn't support "Materials". There's no way to specify a normal or specular map for a particle texture's diffuse map, so a particle texture is no more or less tintable than any other basic SL texture. Perhaps they mean that the particle is white, and so reflects any color mask you apply to it?

Prim textures can have normal and specular maps, and those allow construction of textures that are more readily tinted.

Yes.   That's what it must mean.  

You can set the colour with PSYS_PART_START_COLOR and, if you also set the flag PSYS_PART_INTERP_COLOR_MASK, you can play round with PSYS_PART_END_COLOR, to make them change.

You can also play with PSYS_PART_START_ALPHA and PSYS_PART_END_ALPHA and, if you set PSYS_PART_EMISSIVE_MASK, you can also do stuff with PSYS_PART_START_GLOW and _END_GLOW.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3233 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.