Any recent changes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

i don't know you nor the one you blame to be the bad one, but be carefull you could become the one getting some AR filed on your name if you proceed this way.

Keep things from the past for yourself, you seem to have made a new start, let others do the same, live and let live, don't cross paths.

Thanks for your advice, Alwin.

Teri

((I shall ignore it as I ignore most of your content-free and clumsy posts.))

(((Are you practising to be a moderator? You really didn't have to have the lobotomy . . . yet.)))

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laurin Sorbet wrote:

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

I had nearly forgotten how uncensored the old forums were.  Quite unlike the very sanitized version we have now.

Unfortunate, really.  I always enjoyed a good tussle and/or flight of fancy.

Hey girls, I'm trying!

Teri

((Very trying.))

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

...Consider, however, these forums are even more dire than 2009, so maybe, jus' maybe, all these peeps who spend way too much time on the forums and not enough actually inSL deserve him?!  
:o
)

Still, my advice is to post here rarely and spend your time inworld. Some great sims have gone, but some do remain,  but..... oh my...so many empty places, these days, which you will probably notice.   The saddest thing for me is travelling around mainland on occasion and seeing all the gaps, with the odd home or shop looking very old and dated dotted around the map.  

Most of the regulars with the highest number of posts fall into one of these situations:

They are signed into both at the same time, myself included.  I am mostly in SL, but take a break once in a while to look on the forums.

Many others sign into the forums through their work ISP, but can't spend time in world while at work. 

Some are not at home and are using cell phones to be here, but can't use them for SL.

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

If someone were to come back to SL after being absent for a few weeks (or a few hundred weeks
;)
) what would you say would be the top 3 things they need to know?

Welcome back, Rhonda, sweetie.  When you ask what top 3 things you need to know, are you referring to things about SL or things about yourself?  I doubt that I need inform you of which is more important.

...Dres

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

...Consider, however, these forums are even more dire than 2009, so maybe, jus' maybe, all these peeps who spend way too much time on the forums and not enough actually inSL deserve him?!  
:o
)

Still, my advice is to post here rarely and spend your time inworld. Some great sims have gone, but some do remain,  but..... oh my...so many empty places, these days, which you will probably notice.   The saddest thing for me is travelling around mainland on occasion and seeing all the gaps, with the odd home or shop looking very old and dated dotted around the map.  

Most of the regulars with the highest number of posts fall into one of these situations:

They are signed into both at the same time, myself included.  I am mostly in SL, but take a break once in a while to look on the forums.

Many others sign into the forums through their work ISP, but can't spend time in world while at work. 

Some are not at home and are using cell phones to be here, but can't use them for SL.

And then, there are those who have grown disillusioned by their SL experience and have chosen to no longer partake or at least lesson their involvement in that particular avenue of entertainment... yet, still find it enjoyable to interact with those individuals who still roam these hollowed forum halls. *waves at Maddy*

If this sort of activity sends you into such palpitations, I suggest you never visit SLU, for fear of full cardiac arrest.

...Dres

Rhondas back!!!!

/me thinks back to the old forums... "Let the flame wars begin?"

Anywho.. three things huh?

Demos. Try demos of everything.. if there aren't demos, skip em. unless its from my shop, i will hand you demos personally.

Upgrade your house to mesh, it will save a ton of Land Impact.. BTW, Land Impact (or LI) has replaced Prim count.

Don't fall into the gatcha craze.. you will end up with a whole lotta crap cluttering up your inventory just to get that ONE you want.

I never noticed a big change in the relative emptiness of SL when I came back. SL always seemed to me rather abandoned over long stretches, and finding a place where people actually socialize has always been a major part of my time here.

The two big things I noticed are

1) an improvement in the quality of many (although not all) builds. That may be partly improved graphics though, too.

2) a HUGE improvement in clothing thanks to mesh. To the point where I've winced on the rare occasions I've gone back in-world with my older avatar, because OMG her clothing looks awful now.

And welcome back, Rhonda. :-)

welcome back Rhonda! :)

mesh was implemented, many saw the benefit of mesh in everything, they could make more well shaped objects and with low lag, where they didn't like it was for clothing, for example a shirt, because it didn't stretch to the different types of bodies, because mesh was rigid. Linden Lab worked to add some points in the avatar that mesh would read and stretch itself, it called it "fitted mesh", some call it "liquid mesh", other "rigged mesh", with time, they started making parts of the avatars in mesh, like hands, feet, until they made complete mesh avatars, with their own HUDs giving them more flexibility than the avatar we were used to.

there has been new special effects, like real-time shadows, depth of field, ambient occlusion, and a way for owners of land to have their own ambient settings, with a nice fade in and fade out between ambients when you go between 2 places that have different ambient settings, there's also lighting projections, an image can be projected like a cannon of light over the world.

the marketplace is still around, changes have been made, before, you used to buy a box, then unpack it for the contents to be in a folder in your inventory, now you can recieve what you brought as a folder in your inventory, unpacking is not necessary, another change is that the merchants can now sell directly from their inventory.

there has been speed increases, Linden Lab reduce the process between the servers and the viewers, making everything faster, it now check for updates only when its necessary, also there has been improvements on the server side.

there are new functions, before, to participate in certain role play sims some would give you an HUD that you need to wear, that it would be saved in your inventory, occupying space, now they can give you a temporary HUD, it dissapears from your inventory when you leave the sim. there is also a pathfinding feature, that can tell an object to follow a certain path, to follow certain avatars, or to find, with artificial intelligence, the best way to go from one place to the other.

materials are coming, they are like bump mapping and shiny, but more complex, objects using that feature wil show a more realistic texture that will behave differently to light and angle of view.

Linden Lab is making a new virtual world, called Sansar, some say is Second Life 2, in part it could be, because the products are not completly separated, we would be able to export our avatars to the new world, however, since it seems it the new world will be done mostly all in mesh, many things will be incompatible to export, maybe like prims and sculpties.

i hope this keeps you updated and ready to enter seamlessly into this ever changing world.

welcome back Rhonda, I'm glad you are here :)

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Rhondas back!!!!

/me thinks back to the old forums... "Let the flame wars begin?"

/em sighs.

Yeah ... sorry about that.  I knew what would happen but .. oh well.  It can be fun for a bit of amusement but it gets old quick.  I'm done.  I know there will be plenty of fall out to come and for that I apologize but I have no control over others.  Well, some others I do ;) 

I have been going through demos like crazy.  At first I was not going to mess with a mesh body (anyone who might see me nude will not be the kind of people who would judge my avatar anyway.  Then I tried on the Laura demo. *squeee!*  I need new clothes now :smileyembarrassed:

LaskyaClaren wrote:2) a HUGE improvement in clothing thanks to mesh. To the point where I've winced on the rare occasions I've gone back in-world with my older avatar, becauseOMG her clothing looks awful now.

And welcome back, Rhonda. :-)

I have already made a folder to dump all my legacy clothes in one place.  It was sad at first because I have some beautiful clothes and quite a few things given to me as gifts I was proud to have.

On the other hand, I am not going to miss scalloped skirts at all!

And thank you so much for the welcome ♥♥♥

Canoro Philipp wrote:

Linden Lab is making a new virtual world, called Sansar, some say is Second Life 2, in part it could be, because the products are not completly separated, we would be able to export our avatars to the new world, however, since it seems it the new world will be done mostly all in mesh, many things will be incompatible to export, maybe like prims and sculpties.

i hope this keeps you updated and ready to enter seamlessly into this ever changing world.

welcome back Rhonda, I'm glad you are here
:)

I saw Sansar in a video not too long ago.  It was included with a couple of other VR / holographic computing videos being passed around at work.  I am curious if it will have stronger IP protection some how.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

materials are coming, they are like bump mapping and shiny, but more complex, objects using that feature wil show a more realistic texture that will behave differently to light and angle of view.

Ummm.. Materials are already here.. Normal maps and Specular maps have been around for a while now. I made a scale mail bikini that looks like it is actual scales, yet is a flat mesh.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Canoro Philipp wrote:

Ummm.. Materials are already here.. Normal maps and Specular maps have been around for a while now. I made a scale mail bikini that looks like it is actual scales, yet is a flat mesh.

Wants!  Is that  on the open market?  It'd go well with my feathers.

Laurin Sorbet wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Canoro Philipp wrote:

Wants!  Is that  on the open market?  It'd go well with my feathers.

You always preferred the "understated" Laurin . . . ;-)

Does it come with a dragon?

Demure as ever, my steely eyed girl.

I looked at your Marketplace, Drake, saw 26 pages and even after narrowing it down to Women's Apparel gave up.  Photos are already bubbling in my mind.  If you could send me a direct link that'd be great.  Please and thanks!

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Laurin Sorbet wrote:

Drake

Yeah!  That happened!  Drake's panties are very nice.

Oh, that's quite lovely! In a very weird sort of way.

As for status of Drake's panties . . . TMI, thanks very much. ;-)

I made those, you silly goose.

This is sounding more sordid by the minute . . .

JoeKingleigh wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote: This is sounding more sordid by the minute . . .

Welcome back to General Discussions.

Joe

/We need more threads like this.

//Bringing back old targets.

///Bringing back old savants.

/\/Bringing back Drake's panties.

Thank you all for reminding me what I missed them most.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.