Clothing layer does not show for others, double chat/notifications

Fei Fang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Desktop PC

Windows XP
Home Edition
Service Pack 3

Pentium(R) D 2.66GHz
3 GB of RAM

EVGA e-GeForce 8600 GT 256mb

Latest drivers from nvidia.com

FPS is about 40-60 on medium settings

No wireless connection, DSL SBC

I use the official and latest Second Life Vewer 2, it's the only one I have on my computer.

I can change my clothing layer (pants, jacket, shirt, tattoo, skin, etc) and it will show for me but not others. I can be wearing something I just put on a few hours ago and others will see what I was wearing previously. This is my major problem as it makes the game pretty much unplayable and unenjoyable.

Rebaking does not do anything other than rebake the clothing/textures I see, others continue to see something else.  

Clearing my cache does nothing. I've cleared my cache many, many times to no avail. I've deleted the Second Life folders in both C:\Documents and Settings\name\Application Data and C:\Documents and Settings\name\Local Settings\Application Data

I've uninstalled and reinstalled countless times. I've restarted my computer and restarted my modem. I only have one computer so I can't test it on others.

--------------------

My other problem is I get double chat on my end. If I type something it appears once, if others type to me it comes in twice. Other's see my typing normally. I also get double notifications. If I purchase something I only pay once, so that isn't a problem. I have no packet loss. Changing my bandwidth settings do not help. I have it set to around 1500.

I don't have any of these problems anywhere else, only in Second Life. Other games run fine, internet runs fine. I've tried many things to solve these problems to no avail, so any help or information on how I might fix these issues will be greatly appreciated.

2 answers to this question

I just suggested this in a similar thread in one of the forums.... You have a bake failure, possibly because of a weak or intermittent Internet connection.  SL is much more demanding than most other programs on your computer, and much more finicky about sharing bandwidth.  It sounds like you have taken a few of the simple steps that often clear up the problem for a while, and it's reassuring that you don't report any packet loss. There's a fairly decent overview of common bake fail issues and some other suggestions about how to handle them HERE.   You may find it helpful. 

For what it's worth, your graphics card meets SL's minimum standards (I had an NVidia 8600GT myself until recently), but it is a bit old, so you might want to start thinking about an upgrade if you have enough power and ventilation in your computer. I doubt that it's at the root of your current problem, but it couldn't hurt to think about it.

ETA:  Incidentally, if you search the JIRA you'll find several reports of chat lines being echoed (for example, 

typing chat in once and it appears on screen twice intermittantly on dsl connection ).  Diagonses in those reports seem to implicate connection problems too.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information, unfortunately I've yet to find a fix. I figured it may be my internet connection, I'll give them a call on Monday and see if anything is wrong. It's been running fast and I have 0 packet loss so I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Thanks again for the reply!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.