New LL group policy on Group memberlist access - Part 2

Linda Latte

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Thursday, June 11th, 2015 @ 8:29 AM, [GMT-0800], Day of year = 162

The way the new policy for those considered as "large groups" is unfair. It penalizes those who have worked years to build a nice group. The reason it is unfair is that it restricts the "getting a group member list" to the group owner ONLY.. Large groups usually have "staff," i.e., those who help with the daily chores and need access to the group member list.

I can understand LL's desire to reduce server load by reducing access to group memberlists, but it should not penalize large group owners. Here are suggestions to HELP both SL members AND help LL.

#1 Figure out a way to remove deactivated accounts, "ghosts," other dead people, and miscreants from a group list. At this moment LL detemines group size by NOT using the ACTUAL number of members, but by using actual members AND deactivated accounts AND all others. The end result is unfairness. In my group, Girltown, I'm shown as having about 5734 members, while the REAL number of members is about 4753. I am penalized becuz of the 5734 number,  which is >5000, and THAT is really unfair, don't you think?

#2 Here is a SIMPLE way to cut back on server load: Just ADD an "ability" to groups which allows only the group owner to specify 5 or 10 staff members who can access a memberlist? So simple! Have a "check box" so the group owner can specify who is staff. :) Easy peasy! It helps LL and it HELPS group owners. A "WIN-WIN" is always the best solution.

I have worked HARD to build a good group over the past 7+ years as a premium member. Do not destroy all I've worked for by not being fair in return?

The problem I'm having MAY BE caused by the following bug:   https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-5586

This matter really NEEDS to be fixed. Many others, besides myself, will be hurt if the new policy is left "as is." :(

Thank you,

Linda Latte

12 answers to this question

Linda Latte wrote:

Wednesday, June 10th, 2015 @ 10:15 AM, [GMT-0800], Day of year = 161

New LL group policy allows only Owner ONLY access to the group member list if group size is >5000

The policy is actually that only the owner, officers and those who can invite to the group can access the list. If your staff have any of those powers they should be able to access it; if they can't you should report it as a bug.

What are you basing your group size on? If you count a list that says it has 4753 entries, logically enough it will give you the number of 4753. How do you know that's the correct number though? One of the reasons for this whole exercise is that loading large group member lists is very unreliable.

• Like 1

I joined Girltown group and checked the figure given for the number of members on both the LL viewer and Firestorm.

The LL viewer shows the group as having 4756 members in the group profile: http://prntscr.com/7fhexd
Firestorm also shows 4756 members in the group profile: http://prntscr.com/7fhfct

The LL viewer/websearch doesn't apparently give a way to see the number of members in a group from the search results.

On Firestorm, using legacy search (thats Search -> Groups, rather then Websearch -> Groups), you are able to see the group member counts: http://prntscr.com/7fhhkz
Observe on the above image that the members number on the right matches what both FS & the LL viewer show for the number of members in the group profile.
However, the number shown in the actual search results on the left is larger - it is 5734.

I suspect this is a case of https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-5586
In the group profile on the LL viewer & FS, the total member count does not include deactivated accounts (deleted accounts, banned accounts etc).
However, legacy search results do (correctly) display the full member count for groups and the total number of group members includes all deactivated accounts.

5734 is very likely to be the real number of members that your group has, and this is why normal group members cannot load the member list for your group.

It does not matter which viewer you use. Both Firestorm & the LL viewer have the same bug with not including deactivated accounts in the members total.
Unfortunately there is no way for you to eject those deactivated accounts to get your members number down to 4756
LL support may be able to manually remove those deactivated accounts from your group though.

Feel free to copy this info over to LL support - they will be able to check if this is indeed a case of https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-5586

• Like 3

couple of other reasons

the sever that handles the information  my only update at a certain times

And why would not like  a higher traffic number

Secondly  though doubtful  

you had a mass exeoduss of people  or an angry partner or staff who kicked a bunch of people out  and the search numbers have not caught up yet.   Had that happen to me

I will TRY the above! I did not look at that possibility. If it WORKS, than BLESS YOU; if it doesn't then thank you for trying? P:) Go to Search / Groups / Girltown. Look at the top left AND then on the right, below my pic. This latter number is ACTUAL group members, about 4753. The number LL is using to decide if your group is "large" is the first one, on the top left, which is about 5734. THIS number includes actual group members, those who have deactivated accounts, and all other who, at some time in the past, WERE group members but no longer are. Using THIS number, a bloated and incorrect count, is the problem.

And "YES" I did file a report with Premium Member tech support in addition to posting here. I'm posting here to 'spread the word' about was is happening, otherwise few would know. :) THANK YOU again for your caring and helpful reply !

Linda Latte wrote:

Thursday, June 11th, 2015 @ 8:29 AM, [GMT-0800], Day of year = 162

#2 Here is a SIMPLE way to cut back on server load: Just ADD an "ability" to groups which allows only the group owner to specify 5 or 10 staff members who can access a memberlist? So simple! Have a "check box" so the group owner can specify who is staff.
:)
Easy peasy! It helps LL and it HELPS group owners. A "WIN-WIN" is always the best solution.

You can already specify staff - you can declare "officers" who have the ability to access the member list.

It is a specific "Role" that allows you view members, or just certain "Abilities" please? I have a bot that can invite to the group, but it still cannot see the group members (we don't want to invite someone that already a member! currently it is simply spamming people because it can't see who is in the group!).

Thanks!

I dont have time to check all abilities individually which allow the member list to load (you can test this yourself :)) but if you give the bot any one of the following abilities it can load the list:

Assign members to assigners roles

Eject members from the group

Manage ban list

Regardless, I think it is a bad policy for LL to limit access to a groups membership's list. Anyone in the group should be able to see a list of members.

How many times did you want to communicate with someone who you've met in a group, isn't on your friends list, but who you can't remember their exact user name?

Or perhaps you just wanted to see who in the group was online? Or maybe they changed their user name and you're trying to find them? Or you don't recall which of your groups they were in?

As I said, bad policy. LL, please reconsider.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.