Sign in to follow this  
Roche Runo

The loss of something that was fun in sl

Thanks to the proliferation of Gatcha    yard sales are a thing of the past.   There use to be tons of them when i started in 2006.  Now you type yard sale and you are bombarded with Gatcha yard sales.    And to make it it worse  i know have to scrool through pages of gatcha ads  on the market place  when i am looking for something. 

i wish Linden Labs would make  Gacha  not use the  the yard sale term  cause it a yard sale in my opinion.

Any one else feel the same.

Yes I remember the yard sales back in the day.  So many items are copy/no transfer now compared to back then, that there isn't much you can sell in them now, at least in my experience.  As a creater copy/no transfer is what most customers prefer because it is safer that way from permanent inventory loss.  Most creators will not replace no copy/transfer items if you lose them or damage them in some way.

Yes I remember the yard sales too. Mostly they were eyesores that people placed out in an effort to make money off the the stuff they collected. 

Copy only and Copy no transfer work because the induce people to continue to by while not burdening the seller/creator with reparing peoples 'mistakes'.

It also allows SL to control the flow of trademark violated items and copyright infriged items both of which the world is filled with, I actually had to edit an Item I see because someone got angry that it doesnt exist IRL. He failed to understand that real world items require rights and companies won't just give them to you on whimsy.

Sorry that gatcha seems to have exploded and killed yard sales.

most gacha items that you get from the fairs are transfer, no copy

many (most) of them are well made items

what the gacha has done is to provide a whole heap of items that are transfer. It has create a secondary market where people can onsell stuff they no longer want

if anything I think the gacha has improved the yard sale by quite alot, at least in terms of modern days quality

as Amethyst said, transfer items (and full perms even) used to be plentiful back in the day, mostly bc more people (than these days) made their own stuff back then and shared often, so it was no biggy if you gave something to somebody and they broke it. You just gave them another one 

hmm good points.   

most yards sales did indeed have crappy stuff.  but some were quality at the time.  And for newbies it was a god send.

Hmmm maybe i cant sell the stuff i buy  i should rent them out.  Rather than just delete them. 

and most of the gatch i have seen is in adboards.   I rarely buy something i cant try personally. 

But then who knows maybe i will breakdown and try a few . 

I have made quite a few Gacha machines and nobody ever had any issue wth these. I have bought a bunch of these and I only had problem with it once - there was a broken script in a wearable bag. But I just ignored it, because seriously, the price for most gachas is just 50L$....it's such an incredibly low price that it's a nobrainer when comes to purchasing something you like. Moreover, it adds the random element of what youre getting, which for many people is source of adrenaline / excitement as well, making them feel good when they get the rare one. I just see these people as having an expensive (sometimes) hobby.

When comes to yard sales, I don't see anything wrong with "gacha yard sale". I have had my own at some point and the fact that it's not what it used to be 10 years ago is probably because it's not 2005 anymoreand it's hard to accept for people that things change. They always did, they do, and they always will. Gachas are a huge improvement to the market and some of the reasons were mentioned in this topic. 

I do not have an issue with "scrolling through pages of gacha ads" on marketplace either. The fact that some people sell gachas they have duplicated there is far from an issue from me, because marketplace defintely is not flooded as bad as it could be. It also gives and opportunity to some people who didn't know about the items find something they like and get it knowing what kind of item they're getting as most of these have permssions specified (that it's no copy).