I think I'm done with Mainland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Don't listen to her, Alwin.

Would you rather risk death with a clear conscience or life with the knowledge that you aided and abetted the dispatch of an innocent person.

Oh, and if you don't mind drinking right from the can, I won't have to wash the spoon.

Hands Alwin a Paula Dean Soup Master to warm up the Clostridium botulinum flavored soup...

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Don't listen to her, Alwin.

Would you rather risk death with a clear conscience or life with the knowledge that you aided and abetted the dispatch of an innocent person.

Oh, and if you don't mind drinking right from the can, I won't have to wash the spoon.

Hands Alwin a Paula Dean Soup Master to warm up the Clostridium botulinum flavored soup...

Oh sure, help him to warm his last meal. I'd say you're as bad as she is but I know you couldn't possibly achieve that status.

Benson Gravois wrote:

I agree, 40 renters on one sim??!! Really?! Are you insane? I am prett sure there were problems before the farm next door moved in!

It's amazing to me how absolutely ignorant people are.  Read my posts, understand what I'm doing and how I'm doing it before calling me insane.

Mind boggling... attack the OP, not the abuser.  The OP has does everything possible to run a responsible business and not abuse resources... for 7 years now.  

No, there were not problems before the farm moved in.  Script time was around 5-7ms.  Do you even know what the means?  Probably not.

Benson Gravois wrote:

I agree, 40 renters on one sim??!! Really?! Are you insane? I am prett sure there were problems before the farm next door moved in!

In fact it is very simple and logical; if 40 tenants makes the region laggy, the rental itself must be just as laggy too....and then the tenants would run away, and the landlord would need to close down. - And as far I can see, the rental has existed for a long time.

Spinwilly Saiman wrote:

Benson Gravois wrote:

It's amazing to me how absolutely ignorant people are.  Read my posts, understand what I'm doing and how I'm doing it before calling me insane.

Mind boggling... attack the OP, not the abuser.  The OP has does everything possible to run a responsible business and not abuse resources... for 7 years now.  

No, there were not problems before the farm moved in.  Script time was around 5-7ms.  Do you even know what the means?  Probably not.

What region is it?

What are the breedables?

What is this "lag"? Scripts running slowly? Simulator framerate?

Did you know that recent changes to how mesh is delivered means that meshes are cached on remote servers all over the world and there is a considerable pause each time a mesh appears on each of these caching servers for the first time?

Spinwilly Saiman wrote:

Rezzers are perfectly fine -- with the exception maybe of temp rezzers which load continuously.  Rezzers actually save server resources because as long as nobody is using the property, the scripts within the objects that aren't rezzed aren't running.  If all the builds were sitting there waiting for tenants to show up, the number of scripts and active scripts would be significantly greater.

I think a problem in this thread is that your tenants have a very different kind of rental than most respondents had understood. By what you describe here, these must be completely furnished rentals -- otherwise, if tenants could rez their own objects, that stuff would still be floating around after the dynamically rezzed stuff poofs. Not my cup of tea, but it shouldn't whack the sim too badly.

(If one were designing this from the ground up, however, one would try to keep as many scripts as possible fixed in the sim all the time, rather than rezzing them, and potentially deactivating them in place. They'd still use script memory, but that doesn't seem to be a bottleneck anymore, and dynamically loading scripts is one of the most resource-intensive things a sim does -- although, to be fair, probably all 40 tenants could rez their houses at once to match the demand of a typical teleporting-in combat avatar.)

There are still some phenomenally bad breedables, including some that are relatively new and well-received. Other than begging the owner, ARing the objects, and maybe as a very last resort filing a support ticket, there's nothing much you can do about it.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

What region is it?

What are the breedables?

Did
you
know that recent changes to how mesh is delivered means that meshes are cached on remote servers all over the world and there is a considerable pause each time a mesh appears on each of these caching servers for the first time?

Server side script lag is the problem.  I don't know what type of breedables they are as I haven't done any research into that business.  They are big cats with animations running and thats about all I know.

Here is a region where I have 25 rentals on 1/4 sim, shared by other businesses and residents.  There are 2554 active scripts with 2 of my tenants online at this moment:

dach1.jpg

Healthy.

Here is the region where I have the same setup on 1/4 sim, shared with another rental company who allows their tenants to have breedables.  Active scripts jumped to 7420 when the zoo arrived.  They have only 4 rental units whereas I have 25 supporting 40 or so tenants/partners of which there is only 1 of mine online at this moment: 

andresson1.jpg

As you can see, the time available for any other scripts to run is pretty much zero... and this not a 'spike', it's 24/7. 

I don't know if the other rental company's 3 tenants are complaining but mine sure are.  Their rental terms state that they are 'breedable friendly'.  You might recognize them on the map all over SL by their region sized red heart in a black square.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, there are rarely more than 3-4 (~10%) of my tenants online at any given time.  Much of the time, the units sit empty.

It's similar to a shop that sells stuff. 20-30 people may come through in a day, but not all at once.

Spinwilly Saiman wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

What region is it?

What are the breedables?

Did
you
know that recent changes to how mesh is delivered means that meshes are cached on remote servers all over the world and there is a considerable pause each time a mesh appears on each of these caching servers for the first time?

Server side script lag is the problem.  I don't know what type of breedables they are as I haven't done any research into that business.  They are big cats with animations running and thats about all I know.

Here is a region where I have 25 rentals on 1/4 sim, shared by other businesses and residents.  There are 2554 active scripts with 2 of my tenants online at this moment:

dach1.jpg

Healthy.

Here is the region where I have the same setup on 1/4 sim, shared with another rental company who allows their tenants to have breedables.  Active scripts jumped to 7420 when the zoo arrived.  They have only 4 rental units whereas I have 25 supporting 40 or so tenants/partners of which there is only 1 of mine online at this moment: 

andresson1.jpg

As you can see, the time available for any other scripts to run is pretty much zero... and this not a 'spike', it's 24/7. 

I don't know if the other rental company's 3 tenants are complaining but mine sure are.  Their rental terms state that they are 'breedable friendly'.  You might recognize them on the map all over SL by their region sized red heart in a black square.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, there are rarely more than 3-4 (~10%) of my tenants online at any given time.  Much of the time, the units sit empty.

It's similar to a shop that sells stuff. 20-30 people may come through in a day, but not all at once.

That's what I thought - you don't understand how scripts work currently. At one point in the past those numbers may have been signs of an impending problem, but script running has been changed in recent years. A certain block of time is allocated for scripts to run in each simulator frame (1/45 of a second). If the scripts running don't all fit in that time slice, some will be delayed until the next 1/45 of a second and they'll rotate in. Most of the time you won't even notice it. The measure of a sim's health is the total frame time and that region's perfectly healthy. Your region may well be having problems for some other reason but those numbers don't show it.

I'm currently dancing in a mainland club with 27 avatars, including a couple sporting Animated Neko Tails from Hell. No spare time and only 70%/80% of scripts are running each frame but the simulation itself is ticking along at full speed.

I have read lots of conflicting advice about interpreting the script information with regards to improving SIM performance. Can you explain at what point the total frame time number becomes a problem Is it more important to be looking at the information real time to look for spikes? and any other script related information needed to diagnose and cure script related SIM problems?

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

That's what I thought - you don't understand how scripts work currently. At one point in the past those numbers may have been signs of an impending problem, but script running has been changed in recent years. A certain block of time is allocated for scripts to run in each simulator frame (1/45 of a second). If the scripts running don't all fit in that time slice, some will be delayed until the next 1/45 of a second and they'll rotate in. Most of the time you won't even notice it. The measure of a sim's health is the
total
frame time and that region's perfectly healthy. Your region may well be having problems for some other reason but those numbers don't show it.

I'm currently dancing in a mainland club with 27 avatars, including a couple sporting Animated Neko Tails from Hell. No spare time and only 70%/80% of scripts are running each frame but the simulation itself is ticking along at full speed.

Yes.  That's how I understand scripts to work and the numbers do show a problem in that the server is spending all its available cpu time running scripts with precious little time for anything else.  There is no 'spare time' left in each frame so if you want to initiate any new activities, you're going to feel it somewhere.

When spare time is very low or close to zero and scripts run % < 100, you may not see a performance hit in the viewer and be able to move around just fine. Your scripted objects will be sluggish however and can exhibit more random behavioral problems since scripts are lower priority and will be throttled further by things like physics.  Some scripts are most likely more vulnerable than others.

Total frame time is just a summation of the time events below it and is not an indicator of script lag... script time, spare time and scripts run % are what you need to look at.  A high number of active scripts and script events only state the obvious.  

That's how I understand it.

As of Jun 2, the day the farm moved in, complaints have escalated.  Anyway, the point is going to become moot for me.  Just bought a full mainland region and will transition tenants over there over the next month or so.  I know I said I'm done with mainland, but the price was a steal so I thought I would give it a shot.

Aethelwine wrote:

I have read lots of conflicting advice about interpreting the script information with regards to improving SIM performance. Can you explain at what point the total frame time number becomes a problem Is it more important to be looking at the information real time to look for spikes? and any other script related information needed to diagnose and cure script related SIM problems?

And you will probably always get conflicting information.  The wiki is out of date which leaves in-world benchmarking, forum debates and general common sense to ferret out the exact meaning of certain statistics that may have been added or changed.

I don't generally use FPS metrics in the statistics panel to understand what may be causing lag, or if a server is lagging.  I focus on the Time statistics with the most important being 'spare time'.  The lower the spare time number, the less time available for doing things before experiencing lag.

Here is an empty region that I just bought:

asanga.jpg

Here is a very popular hangout currently jam packed with avatars and always EXTREMELY laggy:

fhall.jpg

With no spare time, frame time increases, FPS decreases, scripts and HUDs are sluggish and so on.  So for me, if I am looking at parcels or generally trying to assess the health of the sim in regards to potential lag, 'spare time' is the one statistic that pretty much sums it up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.