Why is there so much lag even with graphics set to LOW?

Peter115

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am experiencing lag on Second Life like never before.  I have not changed anything on my laptop.  I have set graphics to LOW, and lowered field of vision to 64 ft, 512bits.  Some sims are not as laggy as others but eventually my laptop will crash and I get the spinning circle of death!  So it CTRL ALT DELETE, close application, Log back in, over and over again.  Not too happy with this.  Peter115

5 answers to this question

Second Life gets rather cranky on a laptop, so depending upon your wireless either move closer to the router, reset it or use wired connection. You can also check your connection speed and ping rates here which would help to uncover any connection issues that you might have. http://www.speedtest.net/  they also offer a ping test as well.

Good luck and I hope you are able to solve the issue. You also didn't mention the hardware you were using such as graphics CPU and memory, those can have an impact upon things as well.

While you may have a good Internet connection your connection to the SL servers may be a problem. Test it to see if it is the problem. http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Since you did not ptovide us info about your computer and viewer, we can only guess about what may be the problem. Click your viewer's HELP->ABOUT.... and copy-paste that info into any post where you ask a tech question.

This type of problem is also indicative of a computer that is over heating. Download a copy of Open Hardware Monitor and see if you have a heating problem. Feeling the case may or may NOT give you an idea.  

I recently had a heat sink come lose and create the same problem you are seeing.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.