Twitch Bans Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And your point is . . . ?

(Other than to express a viewpoint that certainly comes across as transphobic?)

While this was a mostly pointless bump of an old thread, I don't see it as transphobic, and that word is already abused as is.

There's definitely some hypocrisy in someone that identifies as a furry and discusses sexual activity banning SL from a platform that rewards women that abuse it to engage in sex work. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

There's definitely some hypocrisy in someone that identifies as a furry and discusses sexual activity banning SL from a platform that rewards women that abuse it to engage in sex work.

Hypocrisy there may well be, but it has nothing to do with the person in question being trans, which is an utterly irrelevant red herring.

The implication is that someone who is trans is, almost by definition, someone who is more "sexually engaged" than cis people -- and hence her identity as trans is additional evidence of her hypocrisy. That's the only possible justification for mentioning her gender identity -- and it's nonsense.

Her identity as a trans person is as relevant as her hair colour. And that's why this is transphobic.

• Like 2

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone's sexuality/preference should have anything to do with what job they have.  Do we ever see the headline "Heterosexual man becomes head of R&D at .....".  " Bisexual woman takes charge at XYZ corporation".  Yet a transgender person is news?  WTH?  I agree with @Scylla Rhiadra.  It's irrelevant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hypocrisy there may well be, but it has nothing to do with the person in question being trans, which is an utterly irrelevant red herring.

The implication is that someone who is trans is, almost by definition, someone who is more "sexually engaged" than cis people -- and hence her identity as trans is additional evidence of her hypocrisy. That's the only possible justification for mentioning her gender identity -- and it's nonsense.

Her identity as a trans person is as relevant as her hair colour. And that's why this is transphobic.

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone's sexuality/preference should have anything to do with what job they have.  Do we ever see the headline "Heterosexual man becomes head of R&D at .....".  " Bisexual woman takes charge at XYZ corporation".  Yet a transgender person is news?  WTH?  I agree with @Scylla Rhiadra.  It's irrelevant.

I'd counter that by saying that if it were truly irrelevant, we wouldn't know about it at all and it couldn't have been pointed out in the first place. The fact that SL is more friendly to transgender than many other platforms and games that are allowed on Twitch makes it more relevant to the hypocrisy.

9 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'd counter that by saying that if it were truly irrelevant, we wouldn't know about it at all and it couldn't have been pointed out in the first place. The fact that SL is more friendly to transgender than many other platforms and games that are allowed on Twitch makes it more relevant to the hypocrisy.

The person in question was streaming long before they were employed by Twitch so it was possibly common knowledge beforehand.  The only articles I could find that mentioned transgender were from people vehemently opposed to her. THEY, not Twitch made it an issue.  That takes us right back to trans phobic people making it an issue which it shouldn't be.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'd counter that by saying that if it were truly irrelevant, we wouldn't know about it at all and it couldn't have been pointed out in the first place.

"We" only know about it because the poster thought fit -- for, I think, highly suspect reasons -- to tell us. (ETA: the point Rowan makes above, that her trans identity is of importance only to those attacking her -- is entirely to the point.)

There is, in any case, no connection between her identity -- or her pride in and willingness to share it -- and her stance on censorship. Again.

Trans people can certainly be hypocritical, just as cis people frequently are, but unless that hypocrisy is about transgender issues -- which this is not -- her status as trans is just not relevant, and mentioning it to imply that it is, is transphobic.

14 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

The fact that SL is more friendly to transgender than many other platforms and games that are allowed on Twitch makes it more relevant to the hypocrisy.

I don't follow this logic at all.

What does the fact that she's openly trans have to do with her stance on censorship? Please explain.

ETA: Let me make this very clear. If her reasons for wanting to ban SL are due to the "adult content" of this platform, this has nothing to do with her identity, or with how our community here welcomes trans people.

Because being trans does not make you "adult content."

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Because being trans does not make you "adult content."

Indeed. Thankfully we are long past this:

Excuse me, Linden Lab, WTF?

It was reported in a JIRA eight months after LL acquired XstreetSL in 2009, and was resolved within two days.

ETA: To clarify, before anyone jumps the gun on this, it's unclear as to who exactly wrote that wording. It's more than likely that it was left over from the original XstreetSL website and LL just didn't pick up on it. However, they didn't pick up on it at the time, and it was down to a member of the SL community to spot it and report it.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.