What would you be prepared to 'give up'?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Carole...hope you are well. Lots seem to have gone to SLU, which seems to feel a bit like the old forums. These new forums seemed so moderated that it feels like the "Ministry of Truth." I can see why...but miss the cut and thrust and banter of the old forums. Still..."change is good!"

A lot of the spirit of the old forums has moved to Twitter. Things aren't sanitized or controlled there, and there is much more news about what's going on in Second Life and with Linden Lab.

It can be difficult to get used to, since you need to figure out who to follow, but it's worthwhile, and ever since I moved over there I don't miss the forums at all.

Oddly, although LL suggests we go to Twitter, they are not very active or informative there.  You get the best news and info from other residents. Official SL and LL Twitter accounts are either not very active or not very newsy, and individual Lindens tend to talk about personal, general, non-SL-related stuff (at least as far as I've seen) -- not that there is anything wrong with that! But if you want to know what's going on, you will do better following other residents.

No matter what we "give up"  or how many restrictions we tolerate, the spammers will find a way in.  I think those willing to give up money, access, "freedoms" or whatever will in the end still have to tolerate spam.  They will just have to do it with less money or whatever than they had before.

We will never be able to completely eliminate spam.  For every filter, safeguard, restriction, rule, etc that is put in place, the spammers will be able to find a way around it.  At some point the "cure" becomes as bad as the "disease" with outbreaks still happening anyway.

So, I guess my answer is that I am not willing to give up too much at all, since I believe it to be an essentially pointless sacrifice with no real payoff in the end.

*Waves hi to Cabbage - good to see you about. I do agree with your comments - I don't think it's possible to get rid of spam entirely but the hours and hours of it in UK/Euro time can really be annoying. I'm not really advocating that 'we' should actually have to give up anything to get rid of them - but it has generated a rather useful discussion I think :smileyhappy:

Ossian wrote:

A lot of the spirit of the old forums has moved to Twitter. Things aren't sanitized or controlled there, and there is much more news about what's going on in Second Life and with Linden Lab.

It can be difficult to get used to, since you need to figure out who to follow, but it's worthwhile, and ever since I moved over there I don't miss the forums at all.

Oddly, although LL suggests we go to Twitter, they are not very active or informative there.  You get the best news and info from other residents. Official SL and LL Twitter accounts are either not very active or not very newsy, and individual Lindens tend to talk about personal, general, non-SL-related stuff (at least as far as I've seen) -- not that there is anything wrong with that! But if you want to know what's going on, you will do better following other residents.

People don't converse on twitter.  

Videos and pictures and lolcats are not posted to twitter, either; therefore making it difficult for some people to communicate.   

Pep wrote:

Neutralised? Not completely, Carole! Pep (recommends the use of a proxy to log on, to mitigate the unethical publication of your IP address.)

Oh, ta. I'm actually on the move, as it were, so it's not an issue now, but I'll keep that in mind if I "settle".

Good to see you. I trust all is well.

I'd give up nothing.

I expect LL to keep an eye on the forums AND SL 24 hours a day.

I got a premium account because of a few reasons, live chat service was one of those reasons.

I still pay for that but as an European I don't get service for most of the day.

Lovely... especially when you have emergencies during busy events.

You're just ignored.

And now we need to start paying to get spam free forums?

I expect a spam free forum!

I am a member of totally free, much less fancy forums, they found a way to keep spam out, LL should figure it out...

Mags Indigo wrote:

Giving up money is one thing... how about giving up the 'right' to make as many threads as you want - or maybe only residents over a certain age can  make threads???

I am not willing to give up a single thing.  LL has taken enough over the years.  We have spam because LL is neglecting a part of their platform, not because we have too many perks.  Especially those of us who have premium accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.