Best Helicopter?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

best helicopters in SL are Spijkers and wingtips

marketplace: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/8526?

inworld store: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Honah%20Lee%20Trudeau/72/87/22

Someone will prbably chime in with Aerofly but be warned these Choppers have 10 times the memory useage of Spijkers and wingtips 

Well-timed thread...

I've just been for a test-fly in a few S&W helicopters, with a view to buying one. Personally I want a civi wellychopper, no minigun required. The MD500 VIP seems to be floating my boat so far. I like the good all-round view when in mouselook; it makes landing a little easier instead of parking it on someone's head.

That said, the airwolf is hard to resist. It even sounds the part!

Vulpinus wrote:

Well-timed thread...

I've just been for a test-fly in a few S&W helicopters, with a view to buying one. Personally I want a civi wellychopper, no minigun required. The MD500 VIP seems to be floating my boat so far. I like the good all-round view when in mouselook; it makes landing a little easier instead of parking it on someone's head.

That said, the airwolf is hard to resist. It even sounds the part!

I have the free version of the MD500 they gave away a while back.  It is one of my favorites.

I mainly fly it or the EC135, a great deal for the price.

S&W has a very active group and support is excellent.

Free MD500? Nice!

That's what I decided on; the MD500E VIP. After a few more test flights it came down to the view afforded by the glass and seating position when in mouselook, like I mentioned. I really like being able to see so well.

The heli is now parked on my roof, where the anticipatory helipad has looked bare for a couple of months.

It's surprised me how well the heli crosses sims, even at high speed. It took all of ten minutes though for me to embed it into someone's ban lines over the sea though. For some reason I can't see those lines until I actually hit them, and sometimes still not, even though I have them turned on in my preferences. I spent the next five minutes banline trampolining for a laugh.

The MD500E is a great tree trimmer and I'm going to have a lot of fun exploring in this!

If you want one that's really simple to fly requiring little skill to actually fly for sightseeing and such. One from Spijkers and Wingtips would be a good choice. There are several models and all fly pretty much the same. There's even a free MD-500 which you can usually get by joining the group and checking notices. This is a really nicely done helicopter with a lot of accessories available for it.

If you want one that handles and flies as close to the real thing as you're going to likely get in SL. Then the Brantly B2B from Shergood Aviation is the one you'll want to check out. Plan on hours of practice to learn to fly it. It's not easy, but it's fun. I wouldn't suggest one of these for your first SL copter unless you have some experience with other helicopter flight sims.

In between those extremes are the ones from Animate Works. They take a little practice as you have to adjust the collective when you adjust the cyclic to maintain the same altitude just as in a real helicopter, but they aren't nearly as sensative as the Brantly.

In the same general difficulty level are ones by Amok. There are several combat helicopters as well as some Russian General Aviation helicopters that are interesting to fly.

There are others, but probably one of those will get you started with something decent.

I'm curious about wanting 'realism' in SL... (and I'm not trying to belittle it or anything, honestly)

Personally I see very little realism in SL flight, to the extent that I'm quite happy with just some easy basics like the S&W offers. With the glitches of sim crossings, lag, invisible hazards, sim pings of 200+ms at times, lack of the multiple analogue control inputs that are required for realistic control and so on, do you still find the resultant flight model realistic enough to be worth putting up with all of that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for realistic flying; I used to be an avid flight-sim buff, spending silly money on controls and pedals, even making my own when the commercial offerings weren't good enough (or more often, I couldn't afford them). I've flown a litte 'for real' too, although never got as far as licensing (wish I had when I had the chance, but such is life.)

I just can't (yet?) see the point of putting up with what I see as a lot of hassle and very poor and erratically-responsive control inputs for such low rewards in terms of realism. For me, I might has well have that 'car in the air', almost.

That said, I am enjoying my yacht, playing about with the winds. Even there I'm frustrated by the poor responsiveness to me pressing a button and often having to wait a second or two before anything happens, by which time things have changed.

Maybe I just need to try some more flying demos, for more than ten minutes...

Vulpinus wrote:

It won't get any better. For anybody who has used proper flight simulator programs, flying in SL looks like a bad joke - for the reasons you so clearly described.

However, sailing in SL is quite fun. One can see lots of good looking interesting places by exploring the SL waterways with slowly moving sailboat.

Coby Foden wrote:

However, sailing in SL is quite fun. One can see lots of good looking interesting places by exploring the SL waterways with slowly moving sailboat.

That's what I'm enjoying. It's calming, just idling along, keeping a little eye on the wind, watching the sights go by and every now and then mooring up and finding someone to chat to. I think my yacht is one of the best things I've bought in SL. I might have to try racing sometime, but for now I'm more than happy just exploring.

Coby Foden wrote:

Vulpinus wrote:

It won't get any better. For anybody who has used proper flight simulator programs, flying in SL looks like a bad joke - for the reasons you so clearly described.

I agree. I played MIcrosoft FS for almost 20 years and have some minor RL experience. I prefer the planes in SL that give me at least some realism.

And yes, sailing is fun but also with sailing I prefer the boats that behave like a RL boat as far as that is possible in SL.

s13.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.