Sign in to follow this  
ladydistain09

Against All Odds Counseling Services

Anyone can benefit from  counseling, recognizing when you need help or support is part of being able to cope. A good counselor does not, in general, provide answers.

Elvisthedog wrote:

Anyone can benefit from [professional] counseling

FTFY. Your post potentially muddies the issue, since I don't think anyone is downplaying the benefits of professional, supervised counselling in accordance with local medical practices and best available peer-reviewed knowledge.

All branches of counselling are not created equal. Many fall under the banner of pseudoscience or can be detrimental to their users to fulfill a self-serving narrative or to acquire funds.

Roleplayed counselling may have some value for entertainment but it would be very unwise (in fact, it would be fraud) to have these present themselves as "good counselors". This organisation may be made up of "good roleplayers", but that is all. I don't have any issue with this service in the way it's presented here, in the Roleplay forum - but I wouldn't direct anyone in need of support (or even just needing to 'vent') to a roleplay service.

That said, I do take issue with the claim the OP makes that they are capable of "discussing in private" or "non-judgmental" or that they're capable listeners. There is nothing to suggest the service will take any of these claims seriously. I doubt most roleplayers have any understanding of medical confidentiality, conflicts of interest, or data protection (my anecdotal evidence suggests the opposite - roleplay often thrives on drama). I would warn anyone stupid enough to disclose any personal, private or even truthful information to people who are In Character - it's irresponsible and potentially dangerous.

Elvisthedog wrote:

Anyone can benefit from  counseling, recognizing when you need help or support is part of being able to cope. A good counselor does not, in general, provide answers.

I don't consider that you are able to cope if you need help or support.

Elvisthedog wrote:

Anyone can benefit from  counseling.

My personal experience of counselling makes it factual that you are completely wrong.

I have allowed myself, several times, to be subjected to counselling, and each time it has made the situation significantly worse.

Mainly for the counsellors and those persons who thought it was a good idea.

Your experience does not make it true on every case. Just because you didn't benefit from counseling doesn't mean you couldn't have benefited from counseling, sounds like you had a bad experience. It certainly doesn't mean that others can't benefit. If you had mental health issues then probably counseling not a good idea and can make it worse.

Seeking help is not a sign off weakness or an indication that you can't cope, Hillary wouldn't have got to the top of Everest without Tensing but both were able to cope. Counseling should be an enabling process which helps the person use their coping skills to the full.

Sorry you had a bad time.

Elvisthedog wrote:

If you had mental health issues then probably counseling not a good idea and can make it worse.

Tadaaa!

Elvisthedog wrote:

Sorry you had a bad time.

Erm, didn't you read my post? It wasn't ME that had the bad time!

Elvisthedog wrote:

Hillary wouldn't have got to the top of Everest without Tensing

Neither got to the top. It is considered somewhat sacred by Nepalese Buddhists; Tenzing would not step on the summit and Hillary respected his beliefs.

ZoeTick wrote:

Elvisthedog wrote:

Hillary wouldn't have got to the top of Everest without Tensing

Neither got to the top. It is considered somewhat sacred by Nepalese Buddhists; Tenzing would not step on the summit and Hillary respected his beliefs.

Both wrote/talked about being on the summit. While there certainly are some peaks considered sacred by Buddhists and/or Hindus or other religions common to the Top of the World, I could not find any mention of Everest among them.

You'll have to provide a link to some kind of reasonably reliable source.

people on here talkin all kind of side ways for what reason iam not sure ....no one stating to be god nor a fixer ......but so far ive notice alot of people that you are in contract with here in sl get in your box for advice are comfort so far we have been able  to be of help ....not tryin to make money people act as if we about to fall and go to hell  for tryin some on SL my goodness

That i do agree with, no one sayin that they have to come to this service we simply sayin if you need some one we here for u with out judging thats it to listen i mean whats the harm

YOU GUYS ARE SAYIN TAKIN ADVANTAGE OF WHO TRYIN TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ANY ONE  AT ALL WHAT ARE HALF OF YALL EVEN TALKIN ABOUT ON SL SO PEOPLE U MEET LLOK FOR THAT ADVICE/ COMFORT NO ONE TRYIN TO CAUSE HARM FOR THAT MATTER

I KNOW THE PATIENT RTS IAM A NURSE RL AND HAVE WORKED IN SOCIAL SERVICES FOR YRS FOR ME ITS SIMPLE I UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL DUE TO PEOPLE STATE OF MIND I WORKED IN MENTAL HEALTH NOW FOR 13 YRS I WOULD NEVER PLAY WITH ANYONE WELL BEING AT ALL I ONLY WANT TO BE A BLESSING AND BE ABLE TO ENCOURAGE LOVE AND SHARE SOME HAPPINESS I DONT CARE RELIGION COLOR JUST ABOUT HELPIN IF YOU DISAGREE LIKE I SAID ITS SIMPLE IAM NOT ON HERE STARTIN CULTS ARE HARMING ARE TRYIN TO GUIDE ANYONE THE WRONG WAY

I see you're doing well at managing stress.

Sure, I never said that your intentions were bad. I'm sure you have an interest in this field and that's fine. The problem is where this interest meets other people.

You're missing the point: It's not about your intentions. You can have the best intentions in the world and still do incredible harm to yourself and others. As ZoeTick said to you on page 1 of this thread: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Real Life practitioners are supervised by their peers - their state of mind is managed as closely as the patients (or more so), so that they can continue to maintain their own mental health. This is essential, and your service makes no mention of it, and almost certainly does not have the facilities to provide it effectively.

Real Life practitioners have codes of ethics - if (for example) you were to end up roleplay-counselling someone you knew in RL, if they told you things they wouldn't tell you in RL - this is unethical. If you hire a roleplay-counsellor and they decide to set up a blog detailing the "funniest stories from SL" - this is unethical. Your service provides no checks and balances for this behaviour, and you definitely could not safely protect your roleplay-patients data in this event.

It's not clear that you have either the knowledge or the resources to guarantee confidentiality either within the Second Life service or within any privately-stored records relating to roleplay-patients. Your Second Life account could become compromised, notecards could be shared, IMs could be read over-the-shoulder, offlines stored by AT&T or Google for ad-based profiling - all far outside of your control. Real Life practitioners have strict standards relating to the storage and sharing of data - you do not.

To summarise: You're welcome to enjoy Second Life as you please, and to help others as much as you feel you're able. You don't need to call the activity a "counseling service" if your only goal is to help othersOther people should not trust you to be any more of an authority - to be anymore ethical - than the average passing user. It's my determination that you don't make this clear, and that's why I can't agree with your behaviour.

The execution will likely vary, all I have to go on is the content of this thread, where you say supremely ill-advised things such as:-

ladydisdain09 wrote:

you can discuss any thing
in private
without being judge be it
RL issues
you just need to vent about

Emphasis mine. If this is your attitude, you're putting other users at a very real risk when they place trust in your service.

KANISA Inglewood wrote:

I KNOW THE PATIENT RTS IAM A NURSE RL AND HAVE WORKED IN SOCIAL SERVICES FOR YRS FOR ME ITS SIMPLE I UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL DUE TO PEOPLE STATE OF MIND I WORKED IN MENTAL HEALTH NOW FOR 13 YRS I WOULD NEVER PLAY WITH ANYONE WELL BEING AT ALL I ONLY WANT TO BE A BLESSING AND BE ABLE TO ENCOURAGE LOVE AND SHARE SOME HAPPINESS I DONT CARE RELIGION COLOR JUST ABOUT HELPIN IF YOU DISAGREE LIKE I SAID ITS SIMPLE IAM NOT ON HERE STARTIN CULTS ARE HARMING ARE TRYIN TO GUIDE ANYONE THE WRONG WAY

I AM GOD IN RL AND I HAVE DECIDED THAT YOU WILL BURN IN HELL FOR USING TOO MANY UPPER CASE LETTERS.

KANISA Inglewood wrote:

I was going to suggest that you discontinue letting the people at this place counsel you, because it clearly hasn't been working.  Then, I realized that you're the founder and I was like shock.gifno1-smiley.giff_facepalm.gificon_shocked.gif

...Dres

Thats how smart you are you should have stayed silent talkin about something you clearly dont know about ......yawns at you people Judging and have no clue but appreicate the comment waste of breath

KANISA Inglewood wrote:

Thats how smart you are you should have stayed silent talkin about something you clearly dont know about ......yawns at you people Judging and have no clue but appreicate the comment waste of breath

WIth every post you make it is becoming increasingly obvious that you do not have to take exams to do whatever it is you claim to do.

is a group inworld you can join

is the Fake Doctors Association

you get a Dr title over your head

the purpose of the Fake Doctors Association is to administer fake treatments to fake patients by fake doctors. Usually by giving them fake subscriptions for fake meds for their fake illnesses

i end up giving up my membership bc I was way to successful at it. I had like a 100% record of fixing every fake illnesses there ever was. 200% in some cases. Double-fix them even (:

I was so successful at this that I start getting people with real illnesses wanting me to fix them. I try tell them sorry I only do fake. but they never listen. And some even say stuff like:I know that you only fake treat fake illnesses, so suppose I gave you a hypothetical then what?

I go nah! I dont do hypotheticals. I only do fake hypotheticals. So if cant describe a fake hypothetical then is actual something wrong with you for real and you best to go see a non-fake doctor