Bright Canopy is on it's Way!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It seems that a replacement for the now closed SLGO is to arrive very soon. Details for Bright Canopy are at the provided link:

http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2015/05/slgo-replacement-bright-canopy-supports-opensim/

http://www.brightcanopy.com/

I grabbed some of the feature set text...

Features

See Your Virtual World In Beautiful Ultra Graphics

Because we run your viewer on a powerful cloud machine, you can view SL and OpenSim at the highest settings even from a low-end PC, phone , tablet, or Chromebook.

For Pre Launch we will be support only Chrome Browser and will not support mobile platforms. This is to allow us to focus on core features with a solid resident experience before we add mobile. Other viewers and mobile devices actually already work in our testing, but mobile will require viewer UI tweaks. We also plan to take advantage of Frame’s new native clients to get even more awesome performance.

Use Your Voice

Voice chat, including morphing is already working in Beta.

Use Photo Tools and Capture Straight to Dropbox

We support uploads, downloads, Firestorm Photo Tools and can capture those photos straight to dropbox. Even more file sharing options coming. Again this is already working in Beta.

It seems that a replacement for the now closed SLGO is to arrive very soon. Details for Bright Canopy are at the provided link:

http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2015/05/slgo-replacement-bright-canopy-supports-opensim/

http://www.brightcanopy.com/

I grabbed some of the feature set text...

Features

See Your Virtual World In Beautiful Ultra Graphics

Because we run your viewer on a powerful cloud machine, you can view SL and OpenSim at the highest settings even from a low-end PC, phone , tablet, or Chromebook.

For Pre Launch we will be support only Chrome Browser and will not support mobile platforms. This is to allow us to focus on core features with a solid resident experience before we add mobile. Other viewers and mobile devices actually already work in our testing, but mobile will require viewer UI tweaks. We also plan to take advantage of Frame’s new native clients to get even more awesome performance.

Use Your Voice

Voice chat, including morphing is already working in Beta.

Use Photo Tools and Capture Straight to Dropbox

We support uploads, downloads, Firestorm Photo Tools and can capture those photos straight to dropbox. Even more file sharing options coming. Again this is already working in Beta.

Personally I would not be trusting this.

1. It's a wordpress site, not an actual official company site with address and contact details, bushiness registration and so on.

2. Sony now own the patents that allow people to run a game on a cloud server and send the screen remotely. Has this person purchased a right to said patent.

3. It looks like it will run in your browser as a plugin, this can cause all sorts of technical issues and extra resource use.

4. You will be giving them your name and password. With all the hacks about and people losing control of their account do you really wish to provide your account login details, your chat logs, access to your credit card and/or paypal to an unknown?

They may be reputable, but I wouldn't touch it myself with a 40 foot pole.

From the site :

'Security is a reasonable concern with any online service...At Bright Canopy, we also have access to install things on the machine running the viewer....it’s worth remembering that our founder is a bearded Unix guy...do our very best to protect your information.'

Reasonable, eh:)

• 2 weeks later...

I´m curious, did anyone here get the invite to the early access pre launch? Was scheduled for May 19th. The last info I read about payment was that they won´t take L$ for prelaunch but US$, so apparently the people testing it via prelaunch already have to pay, do they only give creditcard for payment option? Can you use one Bright Canopy account with the bought hours for different SL accounts? 

Sean Heying wrote:

Personally I would not be trusting this.

1. It's a wordpress site, not an actual official company site with address and contact details, bushiness registration and so on.

2. Sony now own the patents that allow people to run a game on a cloud server and send the screen remotely. Has this person purchased a right to said patent.

3. It looks like it will run in your browser as a plugin, this can cause all sorts of technical issues and extra resource use.

4. You will be giving them your name and password. With all the hacks about and people losing control of their account do you really wish to provide your account login details, your chat logs, access to your credit card and/or paypal to an unknown?

They may be reputable, but I wouldn't touch it myself with a 40 foot pole.

You can't copyright an idea.  SLGo's code was purchased by Sony.  This new company may accomplish the same thing without using the code now owned by Sony as there is more than one way to skin a cat.  If so they can apply for their own copyright. 

I doubt they'd be stupid enough to use the Sony's code as it would result in a huge lawsuit.  Sony does protect it's copyrights vigorously.

Ah, there´s a new post on their blog with some info on payment, so they after all consider monthly payment it seems. And Bitcoins.

'Meanwhile we will be working on providing:

• A monthly plan
  • Support for more keyboards in more languages
  • Hosting in more regions

After launch, we will continue to work to bring:

• More Payment Options (Bitcoin, Lindens)
  • Mobile Support (multi-touch viewer support)'

http://www.brightcanopy.com/blog/ ]

So, I got an invite and together with that 2 free hours of testing time, appearing as 1,60$ on the launching site, without you having to enter credit card details or anything, so that´s fine and I tried it out right away, on the laptop I use for SL, which runs it fine on high-ultra unless there are too many avatars about.

From what the launching page said, I took that after the free trial I could add add a credit card to my account, handled by Stripe. For pre-release billing is in 15 minute increments at $0.013/minute, but if you´d log out before 15 minutes are used up, the rest are lost, due to how Bright Canopy are hosted on the back-end.

I could choose between the LL viewer and firestorm, I used the latter, as I do else, too and to have a good comparison. Things loaded pretty fast, looking nice, and I could move fast, too, but unfortunately while moving or turning around, some textures get blurry and flicker, I was starting to feel sick after a few minutes lol so I logged out, might be just me though, the getting sick, but the blurriness and flickering would keep me from using it anyway probably. I´m in Europe, so I´m pretty far from their servers, that might be the reason, I read some people over here could not really use it at all, but supposedly they found out the reason and dealt with it, maybe the blurring issue is a distance problem too and might go away once they´d have servers over here, or maybe it´s just my pc.

I don´t have my weaker laptop and tablet around, but will use some of my free minutes on those to see how it works there, unless I get too sick ;)

Taeem wrote:

I could choose between the LL viewer and firestorm, I used the latter, as I do else, too and to have a good comparison. Things loaded pretty fast, looking nice, and I could move fast, too, but unfortunately while moving or turning around, some textures get blurry and flicker, I was starting to feel sick after a few minutes lol so I logged out, might be just me though, the getting sick, but the blurriness and flickering would keep me from using it anyway probably.

They have obviously made a breakthrough in fairness. Soon everybody will feel motion sickness when visiting a virtual world, not just those using Oculus Rift.

[if you want the lowdown on the non-viability of immersion headsets, just google "oculus risk".]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.