Mesh disappearing/deforming when teleporting

KesavaKantha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been having issues with my mesh body and clothing disappearing (well, they are still on me but look transparent/deformed) when I teleport places and am wondering why this happens and if there is a fix for it. I have to keep detaching and reattaching my body and clothing every time I teleport because I have no idea if others are seeing what I'm seeing. To mysef, I appear half naked! lol

I've been having issues with my mesh body and clothing disappearing (well, they are still on me but look transparent/deformed) when I teleport places and am wondering why this happens and if there is a fix for it. I have to keep detaching and reattaching my body and clothing every time I teleport because I have no idea if others are seeing what I'm seeing. To mysef, I appear half naked! lol

KesavaKantha wrote:

There are so many bugs with SL mesh rendering it's hard to say exactly which one causes your problem.

But the most likely answer is simply render weight. Teleporting is heavy work for your graphics card. Every time you tp it has to render a brand new scene from scratch. That takes a bit of time even under the best of circumstances. And if there are fitted mesh bodies and clothing in the scene, you aren't anywhere near the best of circustances. These items are extremely hard on your graphics card. How heavy is difficult to say since LL refuses to provide reliable info but I don't think it's an exaggeration when I say that a single mesh body alone can sometimes add as much to your computer's workload as everything else in your surroundings combined.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Having this same issue.  After teleporting, I lose parts of either my mesh body, and/or mesh clothing.  After landing, I am unable to retrieve the body parts via mesh hud, or by reappling my mesh body.  I am also unable to completely detatch some of my existing mesh body parts and my viewer shows by my standard avi and my mesh avi all at once.

Thus far I have had my mesh body redelivered (twice), replaced all othe outfit links in my inventory with the new mesh body parts, deleleted the old mesh body folders, cleared both my cache and my inventory cacche and I continue to have problems.

The above reply cites RENDERING WEIGHT as a possible issue.  What is this and how does one reduce it?

It has been suggested to me that I download SLViewer to somehow help, although I'm not clear on how it would.

A CLEAN INSTALLATION of Firestorm (again) makes more sense to me.  I am unsure however, of what precautions I should take prior to completing this.  Will I lose inventory items and/or any other personal items?

I would appreciate any insight on the issue.  I am running thin in the area of patience and last I checked there was none for sale in the mp.  

I agree that it is most likely a rendering weight issue or "too heavy mesh".

I have a Lara body (Maitreya) and have had NO issues for nine months so if you have Lara and still having issues with body -- then it most likely is NOT that LOL

BUT I have had issues  primarily with shoes and hair that were too heavy (too many triangles, vertices etc.) for SL. They import and can be used but not well.

I can currently go to some sims (even empty ones and get close to crashing because of the amount of mesh (not always "smart" mesh in that sim) so that is an issue. As well, being in a sim with many avatars wearing a ton of mesh and mesh bodies can make my viewer go into pause mode.

I have a new computer coming next week which I am going to assume will fix this problem. Still if folks paid more attention to the mesh they were uploading  it would be better for everyone. Just because you can make a very dense mesh small and get away with low land impact (probably not the best plan in retrospect), that doesn't mean it is a GOOD idea.

Try changing clothes or going naked (just body and appliers) when you teleport and see if that solves the issue.

There really isn't anything YOU can do about render weight expect to choose clothes that are made with a more sane upload cost (tri wise).  If you have a problematic hair, then for goodness sakes don't wear it with problematic shoes (those seem to be the problem makers for me anyway -- I am sure there are others :D)

Good luck.

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is very old and I think there are other threads on the same topic.

I had the same problem and could NOT find any reliable information at all.

Then one day, in Builder's Brewery, a long-time SLer made a suggestion, that up front, seemed odd.

But, I figured, what the hell!  I'll give it a try.

Now, before I go into this "fix", which did work for me, I have to say, in order to do this, you'll need to know how to script, at least a little bit AND the mesh that you have a problem with, you need to have at least >>COPY/MOD<< rights so that you can put a script into it.

First, please make a copy of the mesh and work on the copy so that nothing goes wrong with the one you use daily.

This may not work in every case.  Apparently, the disappearing/corrupting mesh issue I was having, was actually caused by the viewer itself, not "SL", per say.

When you TP, the viewer needs to track the objects/attachments and update itself.  If I have this right, I think this problem happens when the viewer glitches and loses "something" and doesn't update the mesh(es) and BOOM!    Gone, corrupted or just messed up (seen or not seen).  This seemed to happen mostly when TP'ing to laggy regions.

In my case, I'd TP and I'd still "See" the mesh, but it would stop working.  If I clicked on it, depending on where I was, it would usually just disappear.  I'd have to TP home (no lag area), then usually I could TP back to the bad lag area).  This happened, probably, 85% of the time!

So, not the fix that worked for me and  yes, it may seem weird, but it has worked for me.  Since I wrote the script to do this, I haven't had a single failure yet.

What someone suggested to me, was to just write a script that upon change, to just make the mesh transparent for a second then back to normal!  Yup, that was it.

In my case, I figured, this was an good opportunity to make a cute TPing effect.  Also, I did have some issues, not often, when crossing regions.  So, I though, I might as well make the script trigger on both TP and region change. (note IF statement). So in my code, I made the mesh (just 1 face of it) transparent at 50%, changed its color, captured the current texture, then changed the texture to a fun one and animated it.

I added a llSleep(2.0);   // 2 second delay.  After the delay, returned the texture and color to normal, and stopped the animation.  That's it!  For those who don't want to do a cute TP effect, you could just find any face on the mesh, perhaps one that is not as obvious, then just flip transparent, pause 1-2 seconds, flip back.  That should work too.  

The code would be:

changed(integer change) 

{

if (change & CHANGED_TELEPORT || change & CHANGED_REGION) 

{

Put your code here to change transparency back and forth.

}

}

It's pretty simple and for me, actually works.

In my case, I just added the code to the main script in the mesh object, but you could create a new, tiny script to handle this.  

Hopefully, this will work for others.

Edited by BlondGayMatureMan
I accidentally hit enter and it saved my incomplete version.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BlondGayMatureMan said:

you need to have at least >>COPY/MOD<< rights

Which, in the state of most things you haven't created yourself these days, is not the case.

Thanks for the information, though, it can be used for those things where this is an issue (though for me it seems most often to be my mesh body). :(

One tip I've heard that seems to work well is (for rigged or fitted mesh) - reattach to other attachment points, which on Bento shapes includes any unused ones, like hind legs, wings, tail, etc. The idea being that not more than one or two objects are on the same attachment point.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.