Sign in to follow this  
songbuddy

Not for me .. :(

A perfect example. I have no idea what mainland is or does ..  there's nothing about it in any instructions etc that i've seen. I assumed there would be all kinds of houses and dwellings i could buy and furnish,but all i was pointed to was the premium houses. I got the distict impression that the only way to get a dwelling was to upgrade to premium,which i did,and was mightilly disapointed with the choice. Needless to saycancelled the pfremium.  i quickly  I kinda get the impression now that the site owners deliberately steer you toward their homes in order to get you to buy premium.

The first thing i did was to buy L$ to alter  my avi appearance, but i found the buying process long-winded and not easy to navigate. No i don't expect for people to instantly strike up a convo with me, but i do expect at least a "hello" or similar acknowledgement when i attempt to be friendly. I don't expect to be universally ignored, i was told this would happen when i mentioned i was going to try this site, but gave it a chance anyway ... i get the impression they were right.

Thanks for the reply ...

- It's a huge mistake to make comparisons with SL and another virtual worlds.

- You can rent houses, lands, skyboxes so you can decorate them as you like, you don’t have to stick to linden homes

I wasn't comparing it to anything. I have used other similar sites, but always keep an open mind knowing that no one is like the other :).  As for renting houses etc, there was nothing to suggest i could do that, i had no idea, only a BIG advert telling me i could own a house IF i upgraded to premium. Maybe if the site owners made it a lot clearer to "noobies" ( such a horrible term) what was available and more importantly how to go about getting/using it, it would be a great help.

It wasn't voice chat, i was using the standard type chat. Initially i had no idea that i could use voice to chat.

I would have rented a property .. IF i'd known about them. That's my point, a new user isn't told about anything much, let alone that a house can be rented. If i'd known that i wouldn;t have upgraded to premium ( which was thust at me from the get-go), because that was what i was instructed to do if i wanted my own house.

songbuddy wrote:

A perfect example. I have no idea what mainland is or does ..  there's nothing about it in any instructions etc that i've seen. I assumed there would be all kinds of houses and dwellings i could buy and furnish,but all i was pointed to was the premium houses. I got the distict impression that the only way to get a dwelling was to upgrade to premium,which i did,and was mightilly disapointed with the choice. Needless to saycancelled the pfremium.  i quickly  I kinda get the impression now that the site owners deliberately steer you toward their homes in order to get you to buy premium.

Where to begin? :) It really is quite confusing.

There are two types of regions/sims. The one is owned by Linden Lab itself (this is mainland), the others are owned by residents like you and me. They are (of course) all placed on servers owned by Linden Lab.

People can "buy" the non-mainland sims and become "Landlord", taking pretty much the same role as Linden Lab on mainland. Those people pay monthly tiers to Linden Lab. They also often rent out land, which is important to you as now non-premium member.

You can get part of a region and do with it what you like, within the rules set by the sim owner. You can buy your own house in any inworld store or on the marketplace or (much more fun but for most very challenging) build your own.

You can find parcels for sale either inworld or on the forum pages.

You can find houses and furniture (and pretty much anythig else) on the marketplace.

Specific questions you have about, well, pretty much anything, you can ask in the answers section. Why they didn't call this "questions section" is beyond me btw.

You can look for others who feel a bit lost and friendless in the make friends section.

As for your new experience in this lalaland we call Second Life, you might want to think of it as entering a new country instead of playing a game. People might appear hostile, everything is different than what you are used to and what you expect, and flaws are more obvious to you than to the people who are used to them (and have often embraced them).

Incomplete as it might be, I hope this helps you on your way.

I like the analogy of SL being like Texas. Imagine if someone landed in a Texas airport & then somehow found themselve in a small town in the middle of nowhere. If they didn't have a guide or guidebook they, might never find the best sights & most interesting cities. They might also think there is nobody in this big state, if they happen to go exploring on a country road.

Second Life is basically a very large virtual world, full of all kinds of people with various interests. Some will be friendly, and some won't be. Some will seem strange, but many will seem fairly normal too. There is a steep learning curve, but with a little help and patience, learning about this world can be fun. Other users can be your best helpers, but you have to be patient with us too, because we're often busy doing our own thing & may not be in the mood to direct a newbie.

BTW, Here's a good blog article about SL. I also suggest checking out Bryn Oh's sim-wide art installation, "Lobby Cam", at her sim, Immersiva.

songbuddy wrote:

i had no intention of being hostile toward SL or it's users

Hmmm, so what exactly did you mean by this . . .

songbuddy wrote:

Needless to say i've cancelled my premium after just one day, and doubt whether i'll ever use this site again.

Maybe you should think about what you are going to type before you start ranting.

Having said that, welcome to the forums; that peremptory rashness and a cavalier attitude to punctuation and capitalisation means you will find many kindred spirits here.

I'm sorry your first experience with SL was so disappointing. Its always sad to hear that a new user didnt get the guidence or help that they needed and gave up in frustration.

I have been here sense 2006.It does take time getting use to and understanding how things work. I dont just mean how the viewer works ect, but how SL people work and the general etticate rules when meeting people. A lot of new residents dont even know these things at all and they can come off as a bit rude or annoying. This leaves older residents not even wanting to respond and give them the time of day. It happens.

However not all older residents will ignore you.There are plenty that will happily steer you in the right direction and offer you the help you need. A good thing for you to do is join groups, try going to some clubs. Find one you like and hang around there a lot and talk with the people regularly. Let them get to know you. You will find yourself making friends in no time at all. Thats what i did a long time ago.

As for homes it is the Lindens job to promote their own homes and premium membership. So you wont be seeing them even telling new residents about other home rentals. You do not need premium at all. I have had it a few times but always cancel because i never really need it. I just buy my L$.

If you cant afford to buy L$ you can try getting involved in club contests until your avatar is old enough to get employment somewhere in whuich you will earn a regular salary. In contests people vote for you and if you win you get a L$ prize. I did that a lot  for my first few years. I was able to save L$ for a lot of nice things and a nice home just doing that.

There are 2 ways for shopping. You can either use the marketplace. You type in the type of product you want and looking through the pages. Then make your purchase. It is then sent to your avatar in world and check for it in your received items folder. Or you actually buy things in world in the physical store locations but right clicking on the vendory and click Pay, or Buy. then the items are in your inventory.

You are more than welcomed to contact me in world searching my avatar name. I will be happy to guide you through anything you need. Dont give up on Second Life just yet. there are so many possibilities.

Thanks. I did end up searching for clubs and found a nice friendly one, so added that to my favourites. Been a while since i played thegame properly, feeling like a noob right now.

songbuddy wrote:

A perfect example. I have no idea what mainland is or does ..  there's nothing about it in any instructions etc that i've seen. I assumed there would be all kinds of houses and dwellings i could buy and furnish,but all i was pointed to was the premium houses. I got the distict impression that the only way to get a dwelling was to upgrade to premium,which i did,and was mightilly disapointed with the choice. Needless to saycancelled the pfremium.
 i quickly  I kinda get the impression now that the site owners deliberately steer you toward their homes
in order to get you to buy premium.

Well, at least you got steered.  Sorta.  When I joined SL, I  landed "plop" in a sandbox and two days in got griefed by the cage griefers.  

They cage you, it takes you up to 3000 meters or so, and drops you!.  Being a newbie, you don't know how to fly, so you watch your avatar struggle and plummet to her death....errr the ground.  *Bam!*   It was traumatic.  Then, when I found them, and tried to give them a piece of my freshly outraged mind....they did it again.  While laughing.   That was the usual welcoming committee in SL.   Ah, the good old days  : )

Anyhoo, sheesh.  You didn't even give SL, or the denizens inworld, a chance to....err welcome you.    I suggest you get back inworld and start exploring!   Go all over, click on everything.  Teleport into places, and sit, click, jump, fall, learn.  It's amazing.  If you don't love it after actually experiencing it (and it doesn't sound like you have experienced SL yet), then sure....move along.

But, SL has the brightest, funniest, incredibly creative people.   (Not, me mind you....but they, are out there!  ; )

Pamela Galli wrote:

And if you do trash talk our SL, don't be surprised if you get some pushback on that.

What do you mean "our SL"? You don't own one blessed thing about 'your SL' besides the parcel you may be standing on and a few random prims you may have created. In short, the only thing you're running is your mouth.

And when you trash talk for the rest of us who have just as much right to be here as you do, don't be surprised if you get some pushback on that.

SID Riler wrote:

I found it difficult to manage and didn't know what to do, then I asked someone where the shops were, how to change my avatar and from then on, all ok

Aren't you glad someone took the time to answer your questions and didn't blow you off because you 'looked like a noob and sorry - that's just the way it is'?

Be that person instead.

ZoeTick wrote:

Maybe you should think about what you are going to type before you start ranting.

Why? You don't - neither do any of your equally heinous and ignore-worthy forum alts. 

Senobia Xenga wrote:

What do you mean "our SL"? You don't own one blessed thing about 'your SL' besides the parcel you may be standing on and a few random prims you may have created. In short, the only thing you're running is your mouth.

And when
you
trash talk for the rest of us who have just as much right to be here as you do, don't be surprised if
you
get some pushback on
that

"our" SL is metaphor.   As for what Pam owns, it's quite a bit more than a parcel, and she's made more than random prims.  

When Pam runs opens her mouth, it's like E. F. Hutton.  (If you don't know what that means....well there you go ; )

Pam wasn't trash talking.   She was humorously explaining to the OP why they got pushback. 

Now, as to why you've just now gotten pushback.  It's because you were being an ass. 

My first experience with Second Life was not good, but there was just enough in there to hold my interest, and now I've been a resident for over 8 years.  I had an old computer when I joined and it could only just cope with SL, when I got another comp it was a revelation.

Senobia Xenga wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

And if you do trash talk our SL, don't be surprised if you get some pushback on that.

And when
you
trash talk for the rest of us who have just as much right to be here as you do, don't be surprised if
you
get some pushback on
that

At this point in my forum experience, I (most probably should and yet seemingly) never cease to be amazed by that with which some individuals insist upon taking umbrage.

...Dres *rolls his eyes*

@songbuddy

the good thing is that you came back on here and listen/respond to the feedback. So you not given up all hope yet (:

like others say it takes a bit of time to get the hang of SL

I defo also recommend the karaoke/open mic sessions for singing. Lots of people launch their SL singing careers at those sessions. Quite a few of the SL agents/managers are always scouting them for new talent

is some performers who went on to do really well in SL and then onto RL success as well. SL helped them to reach a international audience which they were not able to do playing the clubs and bars in their RL hometowns

some stories of such people. Is lots others as well

Ciaran Laval blog

http://sl.governormarley.com/?p=4744

http://sl.governormarley.com/?p=4242

eta. fixo links

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Senobia Xenga wrote:

And when
you
you
get some pushback on
that

"our" SL is metaphor.   As for what Pam owns, it's quite a bit more than a parcel, and she's made more than
random
prims.  

When Pam
runs
opens her mouth, it's like E. F. Hutton.  (If you don't know what that means....well there you go ; )

Pam wasn't trash talking.   She was humorously explaining to the OP
why
they got pushback. 

Now, as to why
you've
just now gotten pushback.  It's because you were being an ass. 

And to think I neary missed seeing such a juicy bit of troll slam dunking!

Senobia Xenga wrote:

ZoeTick wrote:

Why? You don't - neither do any of your equally heinous and ignore-worthy forum alts. 

LOL! As any fule do no I am extremely careful about what I do and don't post.

And the fact that you have noticed my omnipresence suggests that you find it difficult to take your own advice to ignore me.

I love it!

I'm impressed with your spelling (and usage of) heinous correctly though.

songbuddy wrote:

Hi, i'm new here, and joined SL to find an alternative to another well-known virtual world i use. I have to say .. not for me. Firstly, it feels soul-less,no atmosphere at all, Secondly, the navigation is apalling on here. It's so difficalt to even buy anything ..  clothing,furniture etc. I upgraded to premium so i could at least have a "home" to use, and oh my goodness they are TERRIBLE, and gives very little choice as to what you can have. As for making friends .. it's a joke. No-0ne is willing to talk or acknowledge you,prefering to keep to themselves. The only redeeming factor here is that there's the abilty to talk with the mic rather than type. Needless to say i've cancelled my premium after just one day, and doubt whether i'll ever use this site again. I have to say, after all the things i've read about this site, i'm really disappointed in it. Rant over.

If by chance you have not give up on SL at this point I'd start over by asking questions like where to find good places to meet people in SL or where to find help learning how to use SL.  Ranting is not going to get you the help you need, it just feeds the trolls.

SL is not like any other well known virtual worlds SL gives it's user WAY MORE flexibility in creating their own world or avatars, the down side to that is the learning curve. You get out of it what you put into it.

I woulden't recommend to anyone to start of by getting a premium account or even buy $L with out first getting to understand  SL better.  If you need a few $L to get started just play linden realms.

As for making friends where can be very important in SL.  A lot of people have private homes in SL there not look to or expecting to meet strangers there.  When looking to meet people go to a club or other social gathering place.  Voice can be fun but many people don't use it or only use it with people they know.  A lot of people in SL all so keep SL and RL separate until they get to know people better, your profile is all about you in RL may be change it to show more of your interest in SL. 

By the way all tho you can eat food in SL, it all taste the same.

songbuddy wrote:

Hi, i'm new here, and joined SL to find an alternative to another well-known virtual world i use. I have to say .. not for me. Firstly, it feels soul-less,no atmosphere at all, Secondly, the navigation is apalling on here. It's so difficalt to even buy anything ..  clothing,furniture etc. I upgraded to premium so i could at least have a "home" to use, and oh my goodness they are TERRIBLE, and gives very little choice as to what you can have. As for making friends .. it's a joke. No-0ne is willing to talk or acknowledge you,prefering to keep to themselves. The only redeeming factor here is that there's the abilty to talk with the mic rather than type. Needless to say i've cancelled my premium after just one day, and doubt whether i'll ever use this site again. I have to say, after all the things i've read about this site, i'm really disappointed in it. Rant over.

Greetings, songbuddy

I almost quit Second Life several times during the first fortnight. It felt very hard to me. And I had (have) no experience of other virtual reality platforms, or much about computers generally really.  Luckily, though, among the rowdy rabble that frequented the welcome area that I was originally sent to, I was taken under the wing of a couple of fabulous people who taught me (or inspired me to learn) what I know now.

It isn't for everyone, that is for sure, but I would hope you would give it another go at some stage.  Its unfortunate also you didn't take advantage of the free account status for a while. The premium homes can be lovely, but can also be very limiting.  Best to be an explorer for a while. 

Sociable areas can be quite hard to find, because of the massive sprawling nature of Second Life.  It does get easier.

I must say though, that for me personally, I cannot abide having voice chat activated.  Far too many people using the "F" word(s) and that gets quite boring, but that also can show you the groups you should definitely avoid in world. Look for other people at the welcome areas who look as lost as you feel, pal up together and go exploring, swap landmarks. That was another thing that I did during the first few weeks of being in Second Life too.