Permissions perversity

Govindira Galatea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was reminded of this problem by running into it again: I have a few outfits where the permissions for every item are set to mod/copy/no-transfer.  And, as promised, all items are, except for one or two; they say mod/copy/no-transfer in inventory, but when rezzed or worn, remain stubbornly no-mod.  It's pretty obviously an error of some kind--the designer did not intend it--but somehow accidentally triggered no-mod.

I know the only way to fix it is to get a new fixed copy from the creator, but how does this situation arise and what can be done to avoid it, for the creator?

It's probably related to the slam bit.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Permissions

What you may also be seeing is the permission changing after you rez something. That's what happens when the creator changes the permissions of an object "in inventory".. When I assemble an item that is modify, that contains no-modify scripts, when I take that item into my inventory and give it to you, it will show up as no-modify.. Even though the object (the prim parts) are modifiable once you rez it.

If I were to then go into my inventory, and set the permissions to +modify, when I handed it to you, it would show in your inventory as modifiable, until you rezzed it on the ground for the first time. Once you did that, the server would check the permissions of the scripts inside, and when you "took" the item again it would show up as "No Modify".. However you'd still be able to edit it if you rezzed it inworld again, the same as you could before. In that case, all that's changed is the permission listed in your inventory.

Some creators do this intentionally to avoid customer issues when they see "+mod" on the vendors, and "no mod" in their inventory. I personally don't see the point in this step, since it's not entirely honest. The models are modify, but the scripts aren't, so it properly SHOULD appear as no-modify in inventory, even if the model can be modded once rezzed.

If you're seeing something else, where the rezzed model itself has changed permissions.. And is no longer modifiable.. Then it's a bug, and it's time to contact the creator. SL isn't perfect, and every once in a while, the servers get confused. But try rezzing the object in question first, and be sure you can't actually edit it.

It's probably because the item contains no-mod scripts. It will show as +mod if you rez it and as no-mod in your inventory, but you can usually still modify it when worn. The only drawback is that you can't rename the item in your inventory.

Thank you, Valerie! It's off the cover of the Jan 1950 Vogue with some modifications by me.

The object in question is 114 prims and does not seem to have any scripts in it.  In my experience, such a situation is created by using a no-mod texture; I don't know whether it matters whether it's the parent prim or a child prim.  The parent inherits the texture's no-mod permission regardless of the setting in inventory.  

The creator put a light in one of the prims, which after some random searching I found, but then was frustrated that I could not get rid of that light.  I had nulled the light in one of the other costume items, but this one frustrates me.  Also, all the outfit elements are full bright, but since the head-dress is the no-mod one with the light and essential to the Brazilian style Carnivale outfit, I have to leave everything full bright.  Generally, I'm online at night and I use various night WindLight settings, so full bright is usually awful and I change it or won't wear the item.  I have some very expensive shoes like that.  *cough*Still--*cough*Moo-*cough*  Full bright monstrosities. 

When I first wore it, two years ago, I never noticed the lights or the full bright.  Now, with Kirstens viewer and shadows, the lights particularly made themselves horribly conspicuous.  

I suspect the problem is the slam bit and a no-mod texture left no-mod in the head-dress but not in the other elements which use the same texture.  There's no help for it, I will have to bother the creator.  <sigh>

Same problem here. I have a very beautiful corset that in the inventory appears as "copy", "modify","no-transfer", but inworld (attached or dressed) the object appears as  "no-modify","no-copy","no-transfer". Because of this I can't resize the object to fit in my shape.  Other objects of the outfit in the same folder can be resized without problem, only the corset have this problem. The creator gave the permission to modify the size and this ?change for some mysterious reason? of the permissions inworld is a bad behaviour.  :smileysad: The programmers should rethink the behaviours of permissions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.