Abuse Reports no longer investigated by LL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So it's been 6 weeks now.  Greifer particle spammers remain on adjacent parcels.  Multiple abuse reports filed - properly of course.  Parcel owners can not be contacted because they don't log in to SL anymore.

Linden Labs will not do anything, nada, zilch.  It impacts my business and my customers.  

- File abuse reports... check

- Contact Land owners... check

- Tell customers to set particle count to zero... check - many don't know how and/or don't want to be bothered by that.

- Politely ask the greifer to remove objects... LOL, really, no.

There is absolutely no way to have these spammers removed without LL's help.

So I'm basically screwed?  

Sad hard truth it sounds. :/ I honestly get worried about griefers too which is why I stick to my Skyboxes that won't attract them. I've asked land lords / officers / whoever on places I wanted to buy land on about this and they've said to do similar things like you suggested.

And of course, we have the typical voice / local chat griefers too but even it's getting hard to kick  them if they make a ton of alts.

Ashy Calcutt wrote:

To be Honest with you I don't think they worry much about free users and tend to help of Premium members more often.. I could be wrong but could be right

Why would you think the OP isn't Premium? This must be Mainland, right? 

To the OP: You're doing everything right, but in "no longer investigated" you're mistaken in thinking it was ever any better. There has never been reliable response to Mainland griefing.

Now, in theory, one should never, ever do this, but when there's simply no response after repeated abuse reports for a week or more, and when it truly, seriously impairs my ability to use my land (or public Linden land), I have gotten results by filing a support ticket. Really, really don't do this unless there's just no other option; the Mainland support "team" is spread so thin that any time they spend responding to your ticket really will delay something important, but sometimes there's just no choice.

Spinwilly Saiman wrote:

- Tell customers to set particle count to zero... check
- many don't know how and/or don't want to be bothered by that.

There's  now a better way of erasing particle spam - right click on a particle and select "Block Owner." They will all vanish.

The team who should be dealing with this have been redesignated the Sansar Focus Group and are spending their working hours in a closely monitored but windowless room discussing what the name of SL V2 should be.

Block owner does not work for customers who show up randomly to do business.  They would have to find the offending object or be notified of the griefers name in a notecard when they arrive to go thru the steps to block the owner yada yada... so they just leave.

The key word here is 'Customers'.  I can easily turn of the offending stuff, but for customers or potential customers, it's an entirely different challenge and results in lost business no matter how you approach it.

Spinwilly Saiman wrote:

So it's been 6 weeks now.  Greifer particle spammers remain on adjacent parcels.  Multiple abuse reports filed - properly of course.  Parcel owners can not be contacted because they don't log in to SL anymore.

It's a common scenario. Here are three methods I've found that seem to work:

1. Spam the abuse report function. Don't just send one, send dozens in one go!
  2. Open a support case about it. They will tell you to contact abuse and clsoe the case but you just keep reopening it until they take action just to shut you up.
  3. Open another support case, asking politely if the land the griefer object are on really are owned by anybody. It's quite common that abandoned land fails to be registered as such. They will check that out and if you're lucky, they'll clear the place up.

Oh and for the future: Check if there are any parcel open for rezzing and with absent owners and no autoreturn in the area around your land. If there are, fill them up to capactiy with hideen or invisible prims so that nobody can rez anything there until the owner returns!

Pamela Galli wrote:

Well that is a real shame. LL should be ashamed.

They should. LL's gross negligence of abuse reports is one of the worst aspects of SL.

Ashy Calcutt wrote:

To be Honest with you I don't think they worry much about free users and tend to help of Premium members more often.. I could be wrong but could be right

You're wrong. Being a premium member doesn't help, being a medium sized land owner doesn't help and from what I've heard even being a big land owner doesn't help. LL doesn't discriminate between users there, we're all being ignored on equal terms.

: We're really sorry you feel we let you down. The Governance team gets thousands of Abuse Reports every month, and while we do our best to resolve them, sometimes when we arrive at the region the object is not visible or active. In your case, when we investigated the reports the objects were not there. We reinvestigated today, located and removed the objects, and took the appropriate action. If you should see any lingering objects, or if there is a recurrence, please file a new Abuse Report and let us know. 

: Not true; we are right here, working on SL every day and night. Governance never sleeps (but we do get cookie breaks).  ;)

: Oh please don't spam the AR button! One report or twenty, it does not impact how quickly we respond or what we do. Likewise, opening a support case to draw attention to an AR actually means the Governance team has less time to respond to ARs. :/

Gasp.

I think this is the first linden to show their face here since 2010 when M Linden banned them from talking to us. Your post count of 1 confirms that.

Suffice to say, it's good that this thread actually got the problem solved when the ticket WAS IN THERE. Why wasn't the ticket actioned instead?

Will it take a rant thread now to get the Lindens to act on each of our tickets? So here is my Rant thread, hopefully it will get some movement.

My partner was hacked last night, he is premium and German with poor English skills. He can't lodge a ticket as his premium account becasue.... it was hacked. So he made an alt and submitted a non premium ticket in broken English.

At the same time I submitted a premium ticket (we both own a sim on mainland) and asked them kindly to expedite him as they would if he were premium.

My tiocket was answered within 10 minutes, saying "They can't use mine as a link because of privacy and Because his alt is not premium he will have to wait his turn with the free players... the ones who don't pay a sim's teir and buy god know how many Linden a month"

Now we come to a day later, 6pm on Friday.

As forum threads DO seem to get results, how about fixing this one for us?

Yes, I am angry, I've lost time planned with my partner, he has DJ gigs he can't do, we have a club to run.

Thank you... but, you only removed one of the objects, there were two and one still remains particle spamming.  They were only about 100 meters apart and at about the same Z height.  They are also on Governor Linden land (border).

I filed seperate abuse reports for each object and know not to spam the AR system.  Over several weeks, I filed a total of 3 (I think) AR's and finally gave up.

If you could remove the other one at Sandstorm (251, 32, 225) it would be much appreciated.

He needs to call fraud: Tell your BF this:

Your account may have been compromised if:

You can't access your account.
You suddenly notice a reduced available balance on the payment source you have on file.

If this happens, contact us immediately!

Here's what to do:

Go to the Second LIfe Help page and log in if you can. If you can't access your account, use the Forgot your login information? link on the right to recover your username and reset your password. Then log in.
On the Second LIfe Help page page, click the Contact Support link on the right.
On the next page, click Submit a a Support Case form.
Under What type of problem are you having?, select Account Issue. A second dropdown appears.
Under Account Issue, select I believe my account has been compromised.
Fill in the rest of the fields as directed.
Click Submit.
Check your email for your case number.
Call our fraud number: 800-860-6990 .

Once you do this, Linden Lab will place your account on hold and investigate the relevant transactions. This may take a few days. Once they have concluded the investigation, they'll send you an email explaining their conclusion and the action they will take. Note that all transactions involving Linden dollars are subject to Linden Lab's Terms of Service.

If you act quickly , like NOW, they may be able to retrieve your money if whoever took it hasn't cashed it out yet. There are no guarantees though as under the TOS you are responsible for keeping your account secure.

Tip: Even if you are able to log into your account, change your password immediately to something secure and unique. Changing your password regularly is one good way to protect the safety of your account.

SLSupport Linden wrote:

: Not true; we are right here, working on SL every day and night. Governance never sleeps (but we do get cookie breaks).  
;)

As I persist in saying, don't believe everything you read on the internet, much less these forums.

(I thought about making a joke here about feeling like a beater at a grouse shoot, but it would get too complicated, go over the heads of most participants, confuse those with a slight grasp of BDSM, and probably get me reported for elitism.)

He was probably PHISHED not HACKED...there is a difference.

He probably clicked on one of those links that regularly get dropped in group chats to the MP that are fake. He entered his name and password and bam...they have access to his account. Guarantee they then used it to spam the groups he's in with the same link. That's phishing and I've noticed that those that have been phished are usually non-English speakers. Couple of things to do to avoid this...If the link doesn't start with httpS (for Secure), don't click it. If you do and the first thing it asks you to do is log in...

As for the abuse reports...include a photo of what's happening so the can see it. If you do a support ticket, use gyazo, a free program, and add the link to the screen shot. Those will get response much faster. If you know the location of the objects, put that in the report to save those that remove them time so they can go right to them.

SLSupport Linden wrote:

: Oh please don't spam the AR button! One report or twenty, it does not impact how quickly we respond or what we do. Likewise, opening a support case to draw attention to an AR actually means the Governance team has less time to respond to ARs.
:/

Don't worry, I only use those drastic methods after LL has failed to respond in a proper manner to a proper abouse report and/or support case. So how about this deal: You promise to handle abuse reports and suport tickets in a properly from now on and I won't pester you again. Is that OK? ^_^

If the problem is that you don't have enough time to deal with all the abuse reports, well, you just have to allocate more resources to it, there's no other option. Both griefing and phishing/hacking have become increasingly bigger problems for everybody in SL recently. Something has to be done about them and the longer you wait before you take decisive action, the harder it will be - and the mroe customers you loose.

I've had a mainland parcle for nearly 8 years.

Had particle spam attacks perhaps a few dozen times.

Either they went away by magic, or LL snuffed them *all* after an AR within 8 hours, and most within 2.

as they say, ymmv, but that has been my experience.

Not to distract from your partner's problem (and yes, it does sound like he was phished, not hacked, and Amethyst's suggestions are the ones I'd pursue if I was in that boat) but while the Lindens did disappear from this forum around 2010 they have returned with some frequency since Ebbe took over. In fact, Ebbe himself is probably the most frequent Linden visitor and has a post count of 122 (a lot of which are in various more technical sections than the GD but he's been here, too).

Good luck with the account.

Cheers to you, and thank you for making my day, and for making me laugh. Good to know you high-powered earth-shaking CEOs get a moment away from the grind now and then.:-)

ps: If by any chance you have some suggestions or can point Callum at someone who can help with the problem that would be really cool.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.