extracting fabric from modifiable clothing

Illusion Panache

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Good morning. For clothing with modify permission, is it possible to extract the fabric texture and export it to my computer in a form that can be edited in photoshop, then re-uploaded as modified clothing? Thank you for your answers.

edit: I was not sufficiently specific in my question. I am looking for a solution (if it exists) that is both possible and permissible. I apologize for my lack of clarity. Thank you to all who have responded.

edit 2: I tried contacting the creator several weeks ago and am still waiting for a reply. 

edit 3: One respondent suggested tinting in appearance. I tried this. It doesn't work because different areas of the fabric need different color corrections. This is another thing I probably should have mentioned in my original question. Serves me right for trying to be succinct instead of comprehensive. 

12 answers to this question

Possible or Allowed should be the question.

I would look on Market Place to see if I could find an affordable or free fabric texture maker.

If you have a rl camera and access to rl fabrics, textures, use those to upload to ps then upload to SL. You will have exclusive rights to your original work.  

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it permissable for you to do so? No.

If permissions on the object allow you change the texture, then you can with one of your own textures or one you have rights to use. Modify permission on an item however does not grant you the right to take the texture, which the item creator may have created or may be using a texture for which the creator has permission to use in his/her creations but not permission to sell or pass on.

extracting textures from other peoples clothing and re-upload as own texture. sure, that won't cause problems... :)

if all you want is a color modification i would contact the merchant you bought it from and ask if it can be done; some do custom works. check their profile/policy/blog, and if it's not found there, ask them.

Illusion Panache wrote:

Good morning. For clothing with modify permission, is it possible to extract the fabric texture and export it to my computer in a form that can be edited in photoshop, then re-uploaded as modified clothing? Thank you for your answers.

The other answers are correct in that it is "possible", but not unnecessarily "allowable".   

I suggest you send a message to the creator of the clothing and ask where they got the texture. 

It may be that the texture is one they purchased and they will provide you with the information to be able to acquire the same texture.  Or, it could be that the clothing creator made the texture themselves, and if asked would be willing to share it with you for a fee.  (or for free, who knows?) 

If you if like the clothing item, but just want a slightly modified version of the texture on the clothing, it's also possible that the creator would be willing to do the modifications and send you a new texture.

So, send the creator a message, compliment their work, and ask...It does not hurt to ask.  

(Edited to add: Hmm, this format is odd.  I did not see the answer that was posted right before mine when I started my response...and now that I've posted..there is a reply with a similar answer right before mine.  (laughing)  Oh well, it's good advice, so I'll let my answer stand too.  Cheers to Bee above me  : )

Illusion Panache wrote:

Oh, I'm perfectly OK with the original creator keeping her rights, and I fully respect the wishes of creators who make non-modifiable items. All I want to do is make some color corrections, if possible. Thank you for your answer.

If its just colour you want to change you can always add tint to the clothing layer...Though thats not always great if its a mixture of textures and you want to just tint one part.

Some creators are extremely accomadating if the mod isn`t particulary time consuming, you could always ask the creator to do you mod for you and offer to buy the item again, especially if it is just another colour.

A polite request with praise for their work is always worth a try
;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.