Why can't I receive IMs in email?

Shiva Meiler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

It's a problem a lot of people experience in SL. Many have said that it relates to your e-mail provider blocking most mail originating from Second Life. Others have said it's a Linden Lab issue. From my experience it has been e-mail providers.

Sometimes even if you whitelist @im.agni.lindenlab.com, remove the account level spam filters and even turn off the virus checker, you still won't get IMs. It's apparently blocked at the provider level, not the user level. However, you can try adding "@im.agni.lindenlab.com" to the whitelist and it might work on some providers. Some it won't.

If that's the case you'll have to find an alternate e-mail provider that allows it. Even if you own a domain (hosted on a web provider like 1and1) you can find that you are not getting IMs from SL. It's because 1and1 blocks those for some reason. I think it is because of an issue years ago that landed SecondLife.com on a large blacklist, or at least the headers for IM being blacklisted. I would suggest making an SL support ticket, though. It could be a glitch in your account. If not, then try asking your e-mail provider about it.

I don't get IMs either. My e-mail is mail.com which is owned by 1and1. I also host my domains on 1and1 so my domain e-mails can't get IM's either. However, I DO get mail from support.secondlife.com. It could be an SL glitch, but I suspect it's 1and1 blocking the other mails.

This happens from time to time as e-mail providers take measures to block spam. That happened with g-mail a couple of times last year, for example.  All you have to do is tweak your spam filter in g-mail to allow messages from SL through.

How to set a filter

• Pull up your gmail and go to the little settings *wheel* in the upper right corner.
  • Select SETTINGS from the dropdown list.
  • On the page that opens, click on the FILTERS tab
  • Click on CREATE NEW FILTER. It will bring up a new window.
  • In the FROM box type “@im.agni.lindenlab.com
    (without the quotation marks of course!)
  • Click CREATE FILTER WITH THIS SEARCH
  • Make sure to check the box marked NEVER SEND IT TO SPAM
  • Check the small box at the bottom that says: “Also apply filter to matching conversations.”
  • Finally, click the blue box that says CREATE FILTER

Your filter is now set!

That’s the important one – you can also add a filter for no-reply@lindenlab.com too.

If you're using a different e-mail provider, you'll find that it has a similar provision for shaping your spam filter.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.