Any guesses when NGP or SL will increase pixel density or information density ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm guessing they will do so with the next SL but not with the current SL. I know that the system avatar uses 512 pixel texture maps each for the head, torso and lower body but I'm not sure what the mesh bodies and faces use. Maybe someone else will answer that. Do we really need 1024 or 2048 pixel maps for a game largely viewed on laptop and desktop screens and not big screen televisions. You also need to consider the streaming nature of SL.

I

Bree Giffen wrote:

I'm not sure what the mesh bodies and faces use. Maybe someone else will answer that.

I can answer for my Niramyth Aesthetic.

The head is 1024x1024, torso has three 1024x1024 textures (front, back, arms) and the lower half has two 1024x1024 textures (legs, pelvis).

Wow - that's quite a lot really; I hadn't looked until you mentioned it. Plus it has specular and normal maps for each of those. Double wow! (more accurately, triple wow)

It does look good though; I wouldn't say it's a waste or unnecessary on the avatar itself. I would rather spend the pixels there than on a wall or a table. I do use a couple of big 1920x1200 monitors though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.