Sign in to follow this  
KindredDeath

SL viewer on linux 13.10 64 bit?

Now before i get started with this thread i want you all to know i am extremely new to linux and my knowledge bas of the OS is not very vast, I have gone to the wiki for instructions on how to install the SL viewer for linux but what it tell's me to do in the console there does not seem to be working, so can somebody please give me a step by step tutorial on downloading second life for linux 13.10 64bit, it would be greatly appreciated.:matte-motes-confused:

From what I remember you don't have to install the viewer.

Just download the file and extract it, then open the secondlife file from the folder.

(You might have to install some 32 bit library thing, I'm not sure about that to be honest.)

With a lot of Linux distros you right click the Secondlife file like Kwak said and choose "run" or "execute". If it doesn`t run you might have to right click, choose permissions and mark it as executable. If it still doesn`t run you`re best to ask on the forum for your particular distro.

Once you have run it there`s usually a shortcut placed in your internet or games menu which you use from then on.

As sl viewer for linux is 32bit you will need 32 bit libs/architecture. Or you could try Singularitys 64 bit viewer for linux. I use that on Netrunner rolling release (Arch based) and I`d say it`s the best viewer for linux at the moment.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

There`s some info on the firestorm wiki about running 32 bit on 64 bit ubuntu which might help.

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/32-bit_firestorm_in_64-bit_ubuntu

KindredDeath wrote:

Now before i get started with this thread i want you all to know i am extremely new to linux and my knowledge bas of the OS is not very vast, I have gone to the wiki for instructions on how to install the SL viewer for linux but what it tell's me to do in the console there does not seem to be working, so can somebody please give me a step by step tutorial on downloading second life for linux 13.10 64bit, it would be greatly appreciated.:matte-motes-confused:

Which Linux distribution/version do you use?

Usually all you need is download the viewer archive, extract it, find the executable ( viewername.sh) inside the extracted archive  and run it. In some cases you need to make the viewername.sh file  executable before being able to run it.

J.