Linden lab want me to provide RL ID via NetVerify, but I'm an alt? o.o

Fiery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried exchanging lindens to RL cash and it's been put on hold until I do this, I'm not sure what to do about it, as I view my avatar as an in-game character, I've never had to do this on my main account so is it okay to just go forward with it regardless of it not reflecting my RL self? My alt is a male furrie in-world and i'm actually a human and female in RL :) for god sake XD I'm just confused as to why they would need it when RL ID's are probably not going to reflect in world avatars at all? o.o 

If my RL ID is clearly not a reflection of my SL avi, how is that going to effect me? I'm scared Lmao.

Fiery wrote:

I tried exchanging lindens to RL cash and it's been put on hold until I do this, I'm not sure what to do about it, as I view my avatar as an in-game character, I've never had to do this on my main account so is it okay to just go forward with it regardless of it not reflecting my RL self? My alt is a male furrie in-world and i'm actually a human and female in RL
:)
for god sake
xD
I'm just confused as to why they would need it when RL ID's are probably not going to reflect in world avatars at all?
o.O

If my RL ID is clearly not a reflection of my SL avi, how is that going to effect me? I'm scared Lmao.

Nobody at the Lab will care about any differences between how your avatar presents itself and your real-world identity - huge numbers of SL accounts have avatars radically different from the RL identities of their owners. They only need to know information about real-world people they send real-world money to. When a new or little-used account tries to cash out a lot of Lindens that can look suspicious.

it's quite simple LL needs to be sure they transfer the money to sombody who is a legal entity, they will provide this information to the tax departments.

If you don't provide the information it's quite simple too... you won't get your payment, but also not get the money back to your account inworld.

Thanks for your reply! But what do you mean by "legal entity"? I've recently been made unemployed and used the exchange as a means to help cover the costs of bills in rl, I am however fully and legally eligible to work in this country since I was born here. I'm just worried now that I haven't done something that I should have done before hand or something?

Fiery wrote:

Thanks for your reply! But what do you mean by "legal entity"? I've recently been made unemployed and used the exchange as a means to help cover the costs of bills in rl, I am however fully and legally eligible to work in this country since I was born here. I'm just worried now that I haven't done something that I should have done before hand or something?

They want to make sure you, as a person, exist. Its all to prevent crimes such as money laundering.

legal entity is indeed just a real person, able to handle your business and subject to taxes

if you'r without job i would recommend you find somebody who has knowledge about income in your case... earnings from sl are seen as income in most countries, so you can expect questions in case you don't fill it on your taxforms

To answer your question, the reason they need your RL ID is not only for identification purposes of who you actually are as others have mentioned, but also they will use that info to send you any tax related paperwork that would be required should your cash out and subsequent cash outs require you to report as income. You will probably even notice in the Netverify form they ask for a photocopy of some form of ID. Basically you will reveal more about yourself than the standard info.

I believe they do give you a certain amount of time by which ti respond and comply and provide that info and in my understanding once that time period expires, if you choose not to provide that info they will continue to put the effected account on hold but also place a hold on any other accounts you have. You won't be able to login into SL at all.

The best honestly is not to rely on SL as your source of income for living and make it a one way street with just buying only as much L as you need and not cash out if you do not want to have to provide personal information to LL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.