Viewer-Managed Marketplace Beta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Shayne Hesten wrote:

I read that post a few times also, and wondered if it really meant FP stuff, or anything at all, was being stored via the Merchant outbox.

Perhaps better to place a copy of everything in a box inworld - and anything that is modifiable can become a box if it is needed to be "hidden".

As for the new system sending the wrong items to a customer... if the FP items are not listed, then they would not be delivered to anyone.  The items that get delivered are the ones that are associated to listed products on the Marketplace.

It took many merchants a while to get used to Direct Delivery, we had all been used to magic boxes.  Now it is time to move on to a new system.  Try it, it is not as difficult as it first appears and I can vouch that it does work
:)

If I kept objects set to FP in my unassociated inventory now, sooner or later I just might end up accidentally selling it.  As I say, normally part of finishing a project is setting end user perms on it -- I dont put FP end user perms on anything intentionally.  

I think I'll stick with merchant OB. After it's gone, I'll probably just close my store. & I keep a FP & NT copy of everything I make in my inventory, as I send my FP stuff to my alts, & my BF's accounts, in case I want to move my store to one of those later on. The NT copy is what I usually send to the merchant ob, not the FP. 

I meant that the new system would get my FP & NT copies mixed up, since it sends from your in world inventory. as I name my objects 1 name, & they stay one name. I do occasionally addd FP or NT to the end o the name, so I don't confuse them. like : Apple FP or Apple NT. but then when I list the NT copy I list it simply as Apple.

The reason I keep a FP copy in my inventory, in world, is anything I have FP I send to all my accounts as FP. Because if I don't SL sometimes eats things, so if an alt got a copy, of say a doll I made, & the copy my alt has is NT. I can't send it back to my main account.

Ok when I was harassed out of my old account, I sent some houses I had built, to my alt, I had set them to NT, when done. Did not keep a FP copy. I kept getting bullied, & LL would do nothing, & my inbox kept getting so many messages I couldn't block users fast enough. So I boxed my stuff & sent it my new account, then closed the old one. I went to put my stuff back into a NEW store, everything was FP, as I had set them. I put everything in the mob as NT. & kept my FP copy as a back up. I got to those houses, & they were NT, so I am stuck with them, & can't sell them. So that is why I keep a FP copy of everything I make, on all my & my bf's accounts, as well as my sellable NT copy.

Merchant ob wasn't hard to use anyhow. I'd send my item to it, open my store page IN VIEWER, list my item, & I was done. So I dunno why this new system was set up anyhow. You could manage your store, in viewer, to begin with anyhow, or via the web. whichever you prefered.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for explaining what you meant, it does make sense to me now.

Please don't be worried about the new Marketplace system.  Yes, the item a customer purchases will come from your inventory but, and this is important to remember, when you start to migrate items either yourself or when LL begins the auto-migration, a new folder is created in your inventory (and this also carries over completely to Firestorm).  It is from this folder that customers will receive what they have purchased, the servers won't go hunting through your entire inventory.  I have the new Marketplace Listings folder containing everything I presently have for sale and I also created my own back-up folder during migration.  My customers are only receiving the correct copy from the new folder.

I totally sympathise with you about past inworld issues, that is never a nice thing to happen to anyone, and I do see why you are being so careful with your builds and ensuring you have a number of back-ups. 

As regards new listings or editing listings, the new system gives you two choices.  You can either right click a new item you place in the Merchant Listings window and select the option there to complete your listing or you can continue to use the system we have all used, going to the web page and creating or editing your listing there. 

There are reasons why LL are changing to this new process and many of us were peeved at yet another change.  But I have found this migration far easier and far quicker than when I changed to Direct Delivery, and I find I have a greater level of control now than I had before. 

I hope you reconsider and do not close your store. I expect you have already watched Torley Linden's 4 tutorial videos on YouTube (the 4th one is appropriate to manual migration).  They are very short and, I thought at first, were far to simple.  Yet they were simple because the process was so straightforward. 

…. Viewer-Managed Marketplace Beta

04-21-2015 10:47 AM

The Viewer-Managed Marketplace Beta has launched. Please see the blog post for more details, including how to submit bugs and feedback.
We're looking forward to hearing your feedback.erhm yes ?

Hello LL
1. … Before you make changes… at least first solve ALL Marketplace BUGS!!
. I got many problems with Listings, SecondLife Marketplace Database Errors and Marketplace Database Lag .
. Marketplace Search is a PIDA.
etc etc …

2. … Before you make changes… at least MAKE A NEW WIKI !

Help resources

Merchant help wiki https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Selling-in-the-Marketplace/ta-p/700193

Discussion forums
Terms of Service
Fee and Listing Policies
off : Seller's handbook http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Power-tips-for-sellers/ta-p/700187

Where is the NEW WIKI ???

also :
In other languages:
Deutsch
Francais
Português
???

Can you first solve ALL BUGS ???

Thank you

Desa John .:dArt:.:art&design:.
Firestorm Release Notes 4.7.1 (45325) Beta Release
http://www.firestormviewer.org/sl-marketplace-merchants-listen-up/

Desa John wrote:

…. Viewer-Managed Marketplace Beta

04-21-2015 10:47 AM

The Viewer-Managed Marketplace Beta has launched. Please see the blog post for more details, including how to submit bugs and feedback.

We're looking forward to hearing your feedback.
erhm yes ?

Judging from the responses in this thread, and from the responses given by Brooke Linden at the meeting last week (video and transcript of meeting available on a post in this thread), and also from my own experience over the last few days, yes, feedback has been listened to and noted, even welcomed. 

This new system is already in operation for those who have migrated themselves and, as posts in the forum point out, it will be going ahead for all merchants in the very near future.  Far better to accept the change and read what information has been published so far.  Yes, there are other issues with the Marketplace, there have been issues long before LL took over.  Those would be better addressed in a different discussion thread or jiras.

I'm organizing this as I work with the VMM. First thing I notice is the ease of migrating listings, once I figured out how. While I had a few hiccups, most of which were caused on my end, it's faster than when I transferred all my items from Magic Box to Direct Delivery. It was actually relatively painless, a few button clicks and, bam, listed. Also, I love the fact that I don't have the marketplace stuff cluttering my main inventory any more. My test deliveries went off without a hitch, getting exactly what I "ordered" and in a timely manner.

One of my non-me hiccups was error check not finding a missing category. I'm not sure how the original listing posted the first time without one or it got corrupted/deleted during the transition, but error check did not find that the required category wasn't there. So, I got the "cannot list due to issues with description or blah, blah, blah" error message when trying to list the item. This actually happened twice.

I have a request. Please, please, please, don't have the initial version folder decide what name it's going to be! Just have it default to the name of the listing's folder. Having the initial version folder list as "*DX* Ball Time Sleeve Blue" - an item in the dress listing - when the listing is for "*DX* Ball Time Blue," is going to confuse customers when the dress gets delivered. Most of the time, an item that is first listed is going to be the original listing, so having it default to the listing folder's name is much easier on the merchant and streamlines the process of listing.

The knowledge base does not have a step-by-step on how to migrate listings. While I love all things Torley, I can't always get a video to load, so I usually look at the knowledge base or wikis. Please point out that you do have to go ahead and move folders to the marketplace listing and that you have to right button click on the listing to bring up the associate item sections. If it wasn't for Torley's videos, I would have wasted a lot of time trying to figure it out, rather than happily migrating stuff. So far, that's my look at it from the Merchant side. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but I'm also not going to let it go to the auto-update, thanks to seeing what the version folders wind up doing.

It is good to hear you have succeeded with your migration also.

As for the active sub-folder having a different name to the main folder and so possibly confusing the customer.  As you saw in my earlier posts, I renamed all of those folders to make sure that won't happen.

I do know, though, that efforts are being made to have the code changed so that the active sub-folder takes the name of the main folder.  Hopefully someone will post in here when that has been done.

Raudf Fox wrote:

I have a request. Please, please, please, don't have the initial version folder decide what name it's going to be! Just have it default to the name of the listing's folder. 

........but I'm also not going to let it go to the auto-update, thanks to seeing what the version folders wind up doing.

This is a known issue in the jiras and is still unresolved for manual migration, but for auto migration Brooke posted this

What will my migrated items look like in my inventory?

If you choose to have your listings automatically migrated, listing and version folders will automatically be created for you. Both of these folders will be named after the "SL Object Name" you can see on your listing.

I take this to mean that the naming of the initial version folder will be the same as the listing folder in auto migration.

Ok let me first start off with saying I hate change.. I was never good at it.

That being said.. 

I do not want more stuff on my viwer screen.....I do not want ot manage my listings... in a window through my viewer... 

Will this cause more lag.... than I have already now?

Can I just drop it in and go to the markeplace like I do now and fill it all out there?  I like to see the item page before I activate it.

Do we have any options in how we like to do this?

:matte-motes-confused:

Not that I have alot of stuff but I may think twice about creating now. Or just have a small store in world. I do not know yet.

No no NO NO NO again I say NO!!!!!

Bad enough you screwed up SL irrevocably with that disgusting mess of a  failure of "projject sunshine", AND moved us to that idiotic "merchant outbox" now you want to let MP just take things from our inventory for sales? yeah that couldn't POSIBLY go wrong because every idea you people have had has been wonderful and worked eprfectly without being a disaster.....oh wait......EVERY  "improvement" you people have forced upon us, has been a disastrous failure. Try actually ASKING us what we need and want, before you just make some decision to change things for everybody.

To quote from Sassy above:

(you could have tried it before during the beta on aditi, you could try it now on agni, you could read the information about it)

Merchant Outbox has worked perfectly for me and countless other merchants with no delivery errors, unlike the old magic boxes where I had errors on a daily basis and was forever being contacted by disgruntled customers.  I have been using the viewer managed marketplace system for a week now (I migrated everything myself) and again have had no delivery errors, whether that be for my own test deliveries or deliveries to customers.

I found the migration far simpler and far quicker than that for Direct Delivery, I found updating listings and even folder contents far simpler and far quicker than previous arrangements, and I have a perfectly arranged Marketplace Listings folder in my inventory where I can see at a glance what's what - folder courtesy of LL.  And it is from that folder, and that folder alone, deliveries will take place whether you are online or offline.

I can assure you that if this new system had not worked or had proved a disaster, I would be the first to stand up and complain, and far more vociferously than you have.  As it is, I have found nothing to complain about and can only offer praise for a much more convenient system that, from my experience, is working and working well with no issues for me.

So far on this, so good :) 

I've only just started testing and migrating a few products over but its smooth, easy and pretty quick. I am opting to "Copy" Folders to MPL instead of moving them, but thats more of a security back-up on my end so i always have the originals in my main Folder. 

I did have one instance where not all of the items within a folder were copied over, whether that was beause i was trying to copy too many folders at once i don't know, but it was an easy fix, and shows we can't get complacent, technology is not flawless.

It would be nice if we could associate first level sub-folders, for e.g. Ball Gown > Ball Gown Blue(listed). Associating first level sub folders would mean the MPL Folder in our inventory is quicker to glance through for when we need to update or change one item. But mebbe that's just me being overly **bleep** with how i keep my inventory organised (yes I have folders within folders within folders, even my LM's get stored this way)

On the subject of sub-folders. Migrating a product with its contents already in sub-folders does not work so smoothly. Example:

Product name:

• Sub 1
  • Sub 2
  • Sub 3

The "product name" becomes the first tier folder, and the sub folders become variants of that tier. The way around this that ive found so-far is still a fairly simple one. Once copied to MPL create a NEW second tier folder within "product name" and just drag the other sub folders into it. and then associate and list. This method still keeps a product to be wearable and/or useable straight from purchase, without the need to rez and unpack.

Aside from all that, I'm happy with it and will be gradually moving the rest of my products over. 

Oh I have read about it... and I have watche the videos that is how I spent my time this morning before work.

The Merchant Box works fine ... Why fix something that is not broken?

Oh and the person who said Ask us what we need or I would add, even would like.......Assuming we would want this and would like that is a huge step...

I do not like the idea of stuff out of my inventory being sold.

And Do I have to move everything I have now in the MP to the new system?  

I think I will spend money on a vender and open a store. I will be looking for cheap commercial proptery.... in the future.

LadyPetunias Audion wrote:

Oh I have read about it... and I have watche the videos that is how I spent my time this morning before work.

The Merchant Box works fine ... Why fix something that is not broken?

Oh and the person who said Ask us what we need or I would add, even would like.......Assuming we would want this and would like that is a huge step...

I do not like the idea of stuff out of my inventory being sold.

And Do I have to move everything I have now in the MP to the new system?  

I think I will spend money on a vender and open a store. I will be looking for cheap commercial proptery.... in the future.

The current system is broken (incomplete).  It does not handle items with limited permissions.

Stuff isn't sold "from your inventory" (you can read about how it works)

You don't have to move anything but it will happen with the auto migration if you don't (as described in the wiki)

Well it works fine for what I need it. I think Limited versions are rare compared to other t ypes. So to me it is not broken. For maybe a small percentage is it..  The greater precentage does not do limited version. And I do not purchase them either.

I watched the video again you have an inworld screen to list and fill out your listing in world...The only thing is says you can do from the market place is list it and unlist it. 

I do not like all those folders... to me it is just visually confusing.. you all can have it. I will stick to my plans and I may shut down my MP...have not decided that yet.

He says more simple to use.. pfft

I am glad it is only in beta maybe it will not be finalized......

I say keep the current system since the percentage does not do limited versons of stuff.

scampers off to work

I watched the video again you have an inworld screen to list and fill out your listing in world...The only thing is says you can do from the market place is list it and unlist it. 

I do not like all those folders... to me it is just visually confusing.. you all can have it. I will stick to my plans and I may shut down my MP...have not decided that yet.

He says more simple to use.. pfft

I am glad it is only in beta maybe it will not be finalized......

I say keep the current system since the percentage does not do limited versons of stuff.

I am wondering now what video you actually watched.  If it was the Torley videos (video 4 is the one for migration, if I remember correctly), it clearly states that the merchant has the option to list, unlist and fill out listings both from the viewer (only the official LL project viewer at the moment) AND as we have always done, online.

You will not have "all those folders", whether you manually migrate or wait your turn for auto-migration.  What you have seen on the video is the Marketplace Listing window, I expect.  When that is closed, "all those folders" remain in a special folder in your inventory.  And that is it - unless you choose to retain back ups elsewhere in your inventory (which you likely do already anyway).

This might still be in beta at the moment but it will not only be finalised in the very near future, it is actually working successfully at the moment for merchants who have chosen to migrate their items themselves. 

This is not actually a discussion thread for the Lab to assess opinion (the first post on page 1 makes that clear).  This is an informative thread telling merchants what will happen soon and how merchants might learn in advance what they should be preparing for - or manually migrate their items now.

Direct delivery and the Merchant Outbox went a long way to smoothing out problems we all had using magic boxes.  Now we are moving into the next development stage.  Your items will be migrated by the Lab if you would rather not do it yourself.  I can only suggest that you spend a little while reading all the information and links from the first post in this thread, check out the short Torley video on migration again, then give it a go.  It really is simple and quick to do.

I suspect the video used the in-client browser and that's where your misunderstanding of the process stems from.

Anyway, opinion is invalid at this point.  This WILL be the next change to MP and we all have the choice as to whether to list on MP or not, this will be the method required.

Well, I see that LL is offering a special if you have over 50 marketplace items and switch over to VMM. It's nice that LL is offering as incentive, but did it occur to LL that, if a merchant has over 50 items on the marketplace, they liking already pay for a premium membership. If they do not, then they will just cancel the membership after your free period.

Like I said before, to get enough people with big inventories to switch over and test things for LL, then LL should insure them against any losses for doing so. If you are in anyway confident enough to put this stuff out to the public to test, LIVE, then you should not be afraid to insure against their losses. Plus, LL has access to the data of how much those merchants sell. I'm pretty positive, that most merchants with big inventories, sell pretty consistent numbers almost every week. Plus, you could only insure them for more than a set % change. LL could set that insurance at maybe 20%. So, if that big merchant switched, and because of issues directly related to that switch, they lost more than 20% on a give week, or month, LL would pay the difference. And.... they would be invites to be a part of it, not an open process.

Just my thoughts.

I think we all can share your concerns, Medhue, and the trepidation expressed by a number of merchants, both inworld and in these forums, is similar to those raised when we were having to move from magic boxes to Direct Delivery. 

LL did ask for volunteers (and as you will hear from the video of the meeting, we were told that if there were issues then LL would deal with them immediately, hence their only migrating a small number at a time).  Merchants with very large inventories were told their stores would be looked at closely and, for some, individually.

Merchants who preferred to migrate themselves are also given the opportunity to report any bugs and errors and have those looked at quickly.

I believe a sensible safety-net was put in place by LL and, with only small numbers of merchants manually-migrating or opting for early auto-migration at this stage, then the entire MP merchant community would not be affected by unexpected issues.

As you wil have read, this new system is, now, live.  I migrated my own MP store over a week ago and have kept a close watch for errors reported by customers, non-delivery, incorrect deliveries... As I have said in early posts, I have not had a single problem to report to this point.

Migration is easy.  MIgration is quicker than the migration to DD was.  Unless a merchant has a very large store, I think more could now consider making the change for themselves and, if they have a problem, it can be reported here or direct to LL and then have more chance of being dealt with quickly.

hello there, sorry for my english first... not my native language. I use the VMM since yesterday....

as I dont understand some english  words and subtilities.. I went to my magic box, took everything off (only gacha items, so non copy of course), and made as shown on the videos tutorials, (veruy well made btw)

then drag items in my market place inventory folder..

still okay

but my question is.. I began to find from the market place, the ID of each item, to copy it and paste it on each item in my inventory folders... as I understand nothing to technology.. (haha) do I really have to do this????

helppp

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered by someone else...

When the Marketplace changed a few years back from Magic Boxes to the Merchant Outbox, I had to redo all my old listings to keep them in the new system. Am I going to have re-list everything again for VMM?

I have stores on multiple avatars and that seems like a colossal pain to have to have to start over every couple years.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.