Highest quality of texture in PS for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been uploading RGB/8 .png for a good while now. Does SL support RGB/16 or RGB/32 to use for their better depth? 

Wondering if I should switch from RGB/8 to RGB/16, and exporting targa - though I am not sure what is the relation between RGB/8 bit depth and 24/32 targa bits/pixel?

Which would look best in SL and best of quality?

32 bit targa in SL is 24 bit RGB + 8 bit alpha channel
So if you don't have alpha in your texture don't use it! Stick to 24 bit RGB

Guess when you say 8 bit RGB you mean 8 bit per color red, green and blue?
If it is not then it is paletted and you should start using 24 bit right away

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

I don't believe that SL will store 16 bit images any time soon. The only time I use 16 bit images is when baking tangent space normal maps in XNormal. Converted to 8 bit before uploading to SL.

I also don't think you would be able to see any difference between 8 or 16 bit with regular textures.

SL uses 8 bit per color. That answers your question.

Graphics cards use 8 bit per color. Some (or maybe most?) can be switched to 10 bit. But in opengl? In a viewer window? Never heared of it. Wouldnt make sense for SL anyways.

Monitors display 8 bit - sRGB colors. There are wide gamut monitors that can display the adobeRGB colors. (10 bit) Guess you need to connect over displayport for that and of course one of this monitors. (for 10bit not 16)

Your scanner surely saves 16 bit files but how many bit it scans? That has nothing to do with the file format.

16 bit is far more than a human eye can see.

16 bit is good if you perform image operations in photoshop as it reduces rounding errors. But there exists no device to display it with that color depth.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.