remember pogs? they're back in SL form

Jesica Dragovar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi, I run a comic and games shop in SL and came up with a great idea what would be a good addition for the shop is a pogs game

for those that don't remember pogs back in the 90s they were a huge fad, you have these little collectible cardboard discs that had designs on one side and were blank on the other, you'd stack them face side down and then throw a metal  disc onto the stack to scatter them whichever ones land face side up you'd win

this seems like a simple game to make for SL, thing is my scripting knowledge is bupkis if anyone knows were to look I'd appreciate it

I guess what I'd need is some sort of projectile script for the slammer like what's in ball throwers or weapons or the like, attach it and go into mouselook to toss the slammer

for the pogs themself some sort of gravity colision physics script to make them fly when hit and a chance to flip or something

any ideas will be appreciated

how do you handle Pog transfers?

if you can stick with nocopy Pogs to add some realism regarding uniqueness and collectability, keep in mind no script could transfer the item ITSELF (where the script is inside). Item transfers originate from inventory of a prim.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGiveInventory

You merely need to transfer the Pog's surface texture to simulate a transfer. Just that implies secret hidden communication between game items. You might need to keep the program code hidden from player's view. You might need to scramble the data transfers. From SL history, these textures are NOT to be considered safe data.

There is a fair amount of gambling inside Pog that made it banned from various schools across North America[12]  and many western European Countries such as Germany and the U.K [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs] ....so fat chance it will end up like that inside SL, too.

How about labelling them "gift certificates" instead of a currency, like USDOD did during OEF or Operation Iraqi Freedom?

the slammer would be a rezzable item that positions itself over top of any near gamestack. the Pogs are rezzable selfpositioning items, too.

clicking top Pog on pile triggers the next game move. Results scored afterwards, each Pog can detect if it's upside down on floor or not. Doable. If there is a GO after a good deal of thought regarding the above, I would give this a try.

Starting clean with it, bottle caps again.

playing with item creation I figured out the settings needed to make them work the way I want no script needed and yeah no copy no mod but transferable

as for the gambling thing I can put a disclaimer with each pack sold that they're not to be used for gambling purposes, granted I can't really control beyond that how people use them or SL, people will find a way to gamble in SL and RL if they really want to (hell my friends and I had a superbowl pool going)  but yeah these are not made with gambling involved

so anyway I guess I still need a shooting/throwing script if anyone can point me in the right location thanks

coin flipper script. seens somewhere, will have to log in to search.

To do a boolean decision upon a flat cylinder prim laying upside or downside, multiply a vector pointing into Z direction with prims rotation. If result's Z component is greater zero, you get upside up, otherwise down. On zero ... hmmm ... Pog idling on edge!

You can dedect wind direction on last case, make it topple over after a second of tension.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.